banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You think an ENGL quadbox would be worth as much as a 1973 Superlead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You think an ENGL quadbox would be worth as much as a 1973 Superlead?

A guy I'm buying a marshall blackback cab off also has a 1973 Superlead that he might be selling...and I'm going to get rid of my ENGL quadbox probably and he's looking for another box and thought Vintage 30's sounded okay...so I was thinking about a possible trade with my ENGL quad and his superlead. I don't think that would be too out of the question do you?

ENGL quad is in mint condition apart from one little tolex mark.

GAS GAS GAS
    My Soundclick page.

Re: You think an ENGL quadbox would be worth as much as a 1973 Superlead?

The engl will go out of fashion with nu-metal. The Superlead is a timeless classic.

But if you're a musician rather than an investor, you got to ask yourself what you need and what is practile then. Master volume ? FX Loop ? Multiple channels ?

Please don't think of that Marshall as something you can mod into having all that. Leave that a true no nonsense amp for true no nonsense musicians and keep looking for something that suits your personal needs better.
    I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by V!N View Post
      The engl will go out of fashion with nu-metal. The Superlead is a timeless classic.
      ignorance at it's best.
      Did you ever even come close to an Engl? They have nothing to do with Nu-metal, but their cabs are top notch,great sounding cabs with a lot of mojo. Pretty much goes for their range of amps.

As far as the trade goes, if you want another head instead of the cab, then go for it. I personally wouldn't do it. On the one hand i love my Engl cabs, and on the other i never heard any marshall that really impressed me.
      - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
      - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
      - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
      - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
      - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
      - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
      - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
      - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
      -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

But if you're a musician rather than an investor, you got to ask yourself what you need and what is practile then. Master volume ? FX Loop ? Multiple channels ?

Please don't think of that Marshall as something you can mod into having all that. Leave that a true no nonsense amp for true no nonsense musicians and keep looking for something that suits your personal needs better.

Well I was wanting a superlead because I'm after something to play metal-core on and I heard you can mod an old marshall to do just that. Old marshalls are meant to be great for mods aren't they? Even if it doesn't have a loop or a master volume I'll just put them in and drill some holes in the back...might even get another channel put into it, surely that can't be too hard. I want to get everything from Dave Gilmour to Slipknot and I just know a good Marshall is the way to go
        My Soundclick page.

Comment

I'd get the SLP....but please, DO NOT drill any extra holes in that amp!!!

Mods can be done without drilling extra holes.....may I suggest contacting David Bray WWW.DAVIDBRAYAMPS.COM & he'll steer ya' right ...and extra holes will seriously drag the value of that classic amp way down.

Good luck

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief View Post
            ignorance at it's best.
            Did you ever even come close to an Engl?
            Had to borrow one the past weekend .. If engl was the only amp brand around, I'd switch to playing acoustic.
            I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

Comment

Had to borrow one the past weekend .. If engl was the only amp brand around, I'd switch to playing acoustic.
              Then my friend you either played a really wrecked ENGL or the ENGL simply played you
              My Soundclick page.

Comment

Engl HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH NEW METAL - ENGL IS NOT MESA !!!

Well, I guess Richie Blackmore heard Engl and decided to play Engl even if he mostly plays acoustic now anyway. If this thing moded/not moded will give you what you need - do it, everybody mods things up to the gazoo to get what they need, purists are rarely on the "bible of tone" type of records.
                Active Duty Rig:
                MIA Lone Star Strat (HS-Fullshred/Tex-Special neck)
                Warmoth Roads V/Kramer Neck (HS - Custom/Tex-Special neck)

BadHoarsie Original ->

Laney AOR 50 ProTube ( 6 knobber ) / Laney GH50L | efxloop Rocktron Hush Super C/BBE 422A Sonic Maximizer | Weber lite Mass Attenuator ->

JCM900_1960A 4 x 12

Comment

Originally posted by Young Angus View Post
                  Well I was wanting a superlead because I'm after something to play metal-core on and I heard you can mod an old marshall to do just that.
                  Uhhhhhhhhhhhhh....

Old marshalls are meant to be great for mods aren't they?
                  Sometimes.

Depends on what the mod is and ultimately, what you want from the amp.

Even if it doesn't have a loop or a master volume I'll just put them in and drill some holes in the back...might even get another channel put into it, surely that can't be too hard.

Uhhhhhhhhh....

For starters, I wouldn't rip up a valuable old amp for that kinda thing.

I'd let it be EXACTLY what it is and I wasn't into it, I'd move to a different amp.

I've been down the road of modding amps to make them into something they weren't. In my case it was a Marshall Major that had been modded DOWN to 160 watts, had the front end of a JMP added before I got it...then I had a Soldano mod done, a bass boost mod...a few others...

I was never all that happy with it...ended up going around the circle of friends for a few years before it got sold out of the family to a guy who owned THAT EXACT amp 20 years earlier.

That whole experience plus a few others led me to "get an amp that I dig" so I ended up with a '94 Dual Rectumfryer that I bought new.

Now I'm using a Rivera, made that switch a few years back based on my evolving ear & needs as a musician.

I want to get everything from Dave Gilmour to Slipknot and I just know a good Marshall is the way to go
                  If you need THAT kind of flexibility then you should keep the Engl or look for another amp that's flexible...like a Rivera or a Bogner or whatever.

Modding an old Marshall WILL NOT get you there.

Nor is there a 100% gaurntee that a 40 year old modded out amp will be reliable enough that you can gig without fear of a meltdown.
                  J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                  mixer|producer|recordist
                  mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                  All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Its called humor dudes

Comment

Originally posted by larry_emder View Post
                      Its called humor dudes
                      THANK HEAVENS...at least someone is switched on

Maybe Australian humor is a bit too subtle for some folk
                      My Soundclick page.

Comment

Working...
                      X