Marshall Cabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall Cabs

Now, I'm looking to get a new cab, but I don't know which one. These 4 have all the same speakers and wattage, so what's with the price difference?

The amps are: Marshall 1960AX, 1960AV vintage, 1960AC, and 1960TV.

thanks!

Re: Marshall Cabs

Originally posted by stuperman View Post
    Now, I'm looking to get a new cab, but I don't know which one. These 4 have all the same speakers and wattage, so what's with the price difference?

The amps are: Marshall 1960AX, 1960AV vintage, 1960AC, and 1960TV.

thanks!

To be honest.. for that price, I'd go with something better like a VHT or Bogner. You can definitly get a brand new VHT 412 Fatbottom cab or Deliverance 412 Cab for around $1200 or less brand new.

I used to own a Marshall cabinet and baught a VHT 412 slant fatbottom cabinet and to be honest, the tightness, thickness, punch and overall tone on the VHT is ALOT better than the marshall.

Unless your want to stick with marshall..

Cheers
    www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

Originally posted by Duke of Metal View Post
      To be honest.. for that price, I'd go with something better like a VHT or Bogner. You can definitly get a brand new VHT 412 Fatbottom cab or Deliverance 412 Cab for around $1200 or less brand new.

I used to own a Marshall cabinet and baught a VHT 412 slant fatbottom cabinet and to be honest, the tightness, thickness, punch and overall tone on the VHT is ALOT better than the marshall.

Unless your want to stick with marshall..

Cheers
      Wait, you're saying you can get a new cab for less than that, $1200 right? These cabs are less than $1200...

Comment

Usually, you are just paying for the name. There are so many awesome cab builders out there that can hook you up with the exact speakers, specs, and finish you want for about half the price of those. But a lot of people seem to also enjoy the sound of a Marshall cab, so it depends.
        Turn me on, Dead Man.

Comment

The difference for the first three revolves strictly around cabinet build, since they are varying degrees of "vintage". The last one has the more modern vintage 30 speakers in it which is what I use.

I would check out www.avatarspeakers.com , my other guitar player has one of his cabs that he uses with a Fender Prosonic head and it sounds great. He offers alot of different speaker & cabinet options too.
          Guitars:
          Fender Strats
          Amps:
          Marshall Jubilee

Originally posted by ErikH
          It could be the awesomeness of listening to "Operation Mindcrime" clouding my judgement.

Comment

AC, AX, and TV all have 25W greenbacks. AC is modern cosmetics, AX is vintage cosmetics, and TV is slightly taller with vintage cosmetics and different grille.

AV is modern cosmetics with Vintage 30s (or, "Marshall Vintage by Celestion", as Marshall labels them).

In no way would I buy a NEW Marshall cab when used ones (and there are a Brazillion of them out there) are so reasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by stuperman View Post
              Wait, you're saying you can get a new cab for less than that, $1200 right? These cabs are less than $1200...
              Sorry.. I was looking at the List Price fields.

Even though.. I was able to get my VHT 412 for $900usd + shipping from George @ www.guitarranch.net

Cheers
              www.dukeofmetal.tk

Comment

The speakers make the biggest difference. VHT cab's take forever and a day to get; I'd go with Marshall, change the speakers, and boom, you'd have an awesome cab. Besides, nothing looks as cool as those checkered grillz on the Marshall BX and AX series cabs, or the Salt and Pepper grillz on the TV cab.

I have a TV cab and it crushes a VHT cab with ease. TV's won't be around too much longer. If you throw some Vintage 30's in there, you'll have a cab that kills Mesa's and VHT's.
                This space is for rent.

Comment

Randall XLT cab. They look cool, are really built well, have a nice metal grill instead of cloth, and have a nice mic eliminator option. Plus they sound good!!!

Personally I think Marshall cabs are built like crap. Your paying for the name. That's me though. As stated above you wouldn't go wrong with a VHT or Bogner either. You are paying for the name there too, but there is a reason behind it. Premium quality!
                  Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                  VHT 2502
                  (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                  (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                  Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                  Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                  http://www.robertkeeley.com
                  Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                  Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

Originally posted by Burkwieser View Post
                    Personally I think Marshall cabs are built like crap.
                    Quantify that, please.
                    Last edited by AdmiralB; 10-04-2006, 01:39 PM.

Comment

You're paying for the "Marshall" name when you buy an MG or AVT cab, but the TV and AX/BX series are some of the toughest cabs around. You're paying for the quality on those cabs. People always say "Marshall cabs suck". But that's only because they play the crappy ones -- the MG's, the JCM's that have been beaten up, the AVT's.

The vintage series and HW series are some of the most top quality cabs you can buy. I wouldn't buy any other Marshall cab but those, or any other cab for that matter.
                      This space is for rent.

Comment

I disagree that speakers make the BIGGEST difference

I have found that, as already stated, HW series etc have superior build quality. I have heard the same V30s sound dark and farty in OS Mesa cabs, crunchy in Marshall cabs, and sweet and bouncy in Bogner and HW Marshall Cabs.

Do keep cab build in mind, it's shockingly right up there with speakers.
                        1973 Les Paul Standard
                        1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

I ment that the speakers in a Marshall cab make the biggest difference; I know that cabinet build also makes as much of a difference.
                          This space is for rent.

Comment

NO NO

I agree that speakers make a HUGE difference as well, I should rephrase to say CAB BUILD is a highly underrated aspect, as much as speakers literally. A lesson that I have learned the hard way.

I just don't trust everything tone geeks say. Cabs I agree, but the expensive damn cables I bought were very negligible for tone as an example IMHO.
                            1973 Les Paul Standard
                            1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Comment

Working...
                            X