Need Help Changing Tubes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Changing Tubes!

I just purchased JJ's from Eurotubes for my Laney Blue YCV50.
    I inserted the 3 pre-amp tubes and the 2 powers and I can't tell that much of a difference in tone, so I'm thinking I screwed up somewhere. Are the tubes supposed to go in specific slots, or can you place the 3 pre-amp tubes in any pre-amp slot, and ditto for the 2 power tubes?

I purchased:

2 E 34L Power tubes
    2 ECC83S preamp tubes
    1 ECC 832 preamp tube

They replaced

2 EL34 ElectroHarmonix power tubes
    3 Sovtek 7025/12AX7WA preamp tubes
    --------------------------------
    Gibson '57 Historic Les Paul
    Traynor Blue YCV50
    Peavey Classic 20 (FOR SALE)

"Say hello to my lil' friend!!!!!!!!"

Re: Need Help Changing Tubes!

It really isn't going to change much unless the old tubes were going bad.

Comment

Thanks but what about the issue with the tube placement? Does it matter which slots I placed the preamp tubes in?
      Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

Originally posted by jonnymangia View Post
        I just purchased JJ's from Eurotubes for my Laney Blue YCV50.
        I inserted the 3 pre-amp tubes and the 2 powers and I can't tell that much of a difference in tone, so I'm thinking I screwed up somewhere. Are the tubes supposed to go in specific slots, or can you place the 3 pre-amp tubes in any pre-amp slot, and ditto for the 2 power tubes?

I purchased:

2 E 34L Power tubes
        2 ECC83S preamp tubes
        1 ECC 832 preamp tube

They replaced

2 EL34 ElectroHarmonix power tubes
        3 Sovtek 7025/12AX7WA preamp tubes
        why did you get an 832? ... it doesn't match the stock tubes you had
        Originally posted by jonnymangia View Post
        Thanks but what about the issue with the tube placement? Does it matter which slots I placed the preamp tubes in?
        you should be able to answer this before you order new tubes

why did you order new tubes?

was there something wrong with the old ones?
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

Well, what was the logic between buying 2 different types of preamp tubes? Did Eurotubes recommend the ECC 832 for a particular position?

I don't know your particular amp but usually, the signal chain starts with the tube farthest from the power tubes - that would be V1, next V2, then the phase inverter would be the 9-pin ECC83 closest to your EL34s.

Experiment - they are all just different flavors of the ECC83 (same as a 12AX7). You can't hurt anything by moving them around.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Curly View Post
            why did you get an 832? ... it doesn't match the stock tubes you had

you should be able to answer this before you order new tubes

why did you order new tubes?

was there something wrong with the old ones?
            I actually bought a 3rd ECC83S which I did not mention (and is currently sitting on the sidelines). It is labeled "Balanced Tube for Phase Inverter".

The 832 is in there for the "Blue" mod, which is a modification for this particular amplifier.

There was nothing wrong with the old tubes. I just had heard that the JJ's really warmed up the amp and help get a rich, creamy tone. The SOlvtek's can be a bit sterile.
            Last edited by jonnymangia; 10-04-2006, 09:20 PM.
            Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

put the balanced tube for PI in the slot closest to the power tubes, that's what it is for, did you re-bias ?,(if your amp has adjustable bias)
              usually tube changes aren't real discernible unless you know what to listen for- a speaker change has a more dramatic effect on your sound. Tube changes are more for fine tuning your tone. changing the first tube in your signal path has the most effect on sound. (the one farthest away from the power tubes.)
              Also, have you tried your new tubes at different volume levels? sometimes you don't hear a difference until you crank it up.
              Last edited by marvar; 10-04-2006, 10:03 PM.
              " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Originally posted by marvar View Post
                put the balanced tube for PI in the slot closest to the power tubes, that's what it is for, did you re-bias ?,(if your amp has adjustable bias)
                usually tube changes aren't real discernible unless you know what to listen for- a speaker change has a more dramatic effect on your sound. Tube changes are more for fine tuning your tone. changing the first tube in your signal path has the most effect on sound. (the one farthest away from the power tubes.)
                Also, have you tried your new tubes at different volume levels? sometimes you don't hear a difference until you crank it up.
                Thanks Marvar...I'll switch them out tonight and let you know how it goes!
                Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

Those tubes should provide a pretty noticable change over the ones they replaced JM. It is very likely you will need to bias the power tubes also.

I am pretty suprised you didn't hear a difference, but I guess everyones ear is different.
                  Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                  Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

Originally posted by wixedmords View Post
                    Those tubes should provide a pretty noticable change over the ones they replaced JM. It is very likely you will need to bias the power tubes also.

I am pretty suprised you didn't hear a difference, but I guess everyones ear is different.
                    Can you tell me how to bias (sorry, beginner here!)??
                    Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

My advice would be to take it to a tech that knows what they're doing & ask him to show you how to bias the amp.

You can kill yourself messing around inside an amp....SERIOUSLY !!!

The power tubes should be rebiased.....from there, that balanced tube would go in the slot closest the power tubes.

The one furthest from the power tubes is the V1 slot....try an old Sovtek in V1 & listen closely.

When it cools off, throw a JJ in there & listen for the difference
                      Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 10-05-2006, 11:38 AM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99 View Post
                        My advice would be to take it to a tech that knows what they're doing & ask him to show you how to bias the amp.

You can kill yourself messing around inside an amp....SERIOUSLY !!!

The power tubes should be rebiased.....from there, that balanced tube would go in the slot closest the power tubes.

The one furthest from the power tubes is the V1 slot....try an old Sovtek in V1 & listen closely.

When it cools off, throw a JJ in there & listen for the difference
                        Thanks for the heads up...my buddy also warned me about the possibility of electrocution if you're not careful!

I callled EuroTubes and they told me on the Traynor Blue the configuration is reversed from say...a Marshall. The balanced tube is actually in the slot furtheset from the Power Tubes, and V1 is closest. In any case, I am going to try this again tonight, and I'll let you know how it goes.
                        Last edited by jonnymangia; 10-05-2006, 02:41 PM.
                        Traynor Blue YCV50

Comment

I gotta go with Puckboy on this one JM. I would have a tech bias the amp for now.
                          There is nothing wrong with reading up on biasing, like the duncan bias page (no relation to SD) and the aiken page, but their are voltages that are high enough to kill within an amp, so I would not do this out of necessity, but take my time and learn it. There was a forum member just this week that took a zap, and fortunately he is ok.

EDIT: You may want to look for further information on the placement of P1-Px, as they usually start out furthest from the power tubes, but this may be the exception.
                          Last edited by wixedmords; 10-05-2006, 02:47 PM.
                          Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
                          Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

First you said it was a Laney, then you said it was a Traynor- are these amps made by the same people or something? I'm not real familier with either one, I'm a Marshall guy.
                            " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Hey there,

Own the same amp - have also replaced all tubes and noticed only a small difference.

With respect to this amp, note it is self biasing ie does not need to biased by a tech.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
                              Bman

Comment

Working...
                              X