No announcement yet.

How do you wear in or "age" a speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you wear in or "age" a speaker?

Are there any good ways to age or wear in speakers without merely logging thousands of hours at gigs?
    1973 Les Paul Standard
    1973 Marshall Super Lead 100

Re: How do you wear in or "age" a speaker?

I've known people with car audio stuff for doing sound quality work to let a speaker go at a mild volume in a room with like white noise running for a few days.

Comment

It doesn't take anywhere near a thousand hours to break in a speaker...Weber speakers are just about the longest break in time of any speakers I have ever used and afer about 60-80 hours of play those really start to open up and get broken in good. I have heard that hemp cone speakers take over 100 hours but I have yet to try any hemp cones.

As for another way to do it...put the speakers in an amp, and rig up a CD player or radio to play through the amp...find some music and walk away for a while...FWIW, I use music with a lot of bottom end...that really gets the speaker moving and starts the break in process. If you are gonna use Greenbacks, G12H30's or Vintage 30's just order the Helltones from Dave at avatar...they come already broken in and if you are gonna use Webers, just order them pre broken in!

There are a few other ways to do it but they are not as easy and can cause problems if done wrong...
      If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Both a Celestion tech and a professional cabmaker advised to break in a new speaker by playing clean chords on a fairly loud level for about 15 minutes.
        I've been driving all night, my hands wet on the wheel.

Comment

it will wear in faster during abuse ...
          eg a guitar speaker is not built for bass applications, but if you are
          careful and take care about cone replacement (and not hitting the
          pole plate with the voice coil) you can plug your cab to the stereo
          and play music with it
          but don't do this if you don't know what your are doing, to strong
          bass load can kill your precious guitar speaker in a minute or less.
          if you moderately use it like this for two days or so (depending on
          the speaker) it will break in
          ~+~ tube afflicted, strat addicted ~+~

Comment

Easiest way, bust out your guitar and play!

Comment

Working...
            X