banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tube on the way... now how do you install these things?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New tube on the way... now how do you install these things?

I ordered a JJ ECC83-S today for my Laney combo. I need some advice on how to install it, so i don't kill myself poking around in my 120 watt amp. Is this simply a plug and play type of situation, or is soldering required? What dangers are present, and how do i protect myself against them? What is biasing, how do i know if i need to do this, and how do i do it? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.

Re: New tube on the way... now how do you install these things?

Originally posted by mrchodito View Post
    I ordered a JJ ECC83-S today for my Laney combo. I need some advice on how to install it, so i don't kill myself poking around in my 120 watt amp. Is this simply a plug and play type of situation, or is soldering required? What dangers are present, and how do i protect myself against them? What is biasing, how do i know if i need to do this, and how do i do it? Any wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
    #1) Unplug the amp.
    #2) Pay attention to the pin orientation when you pull the old tube out. You will notice 9 -pins with a gap. This is to prevent you from installing the tube wrong.
    #3) Don't force the tube in. If the pins are aligned? It will go in with just a gentile push. If the pins are not aligned and you force it. You will bend the pins.
    #4) No bias needed on Preamp tubes (i.e.)Ecc83-s or 12AX7
    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Thank you very much.

Comment

you pretty much just have to pull the old tube out, and pop the new one in. and that's all there is to it.

if you ever change the power tubes in the future, that requires the amp to be biased, which in most cases requires a tech. but for preamp tubes, you should be able to just swap them out and power up.
        gear:

'05 gibson les paul studio vintage mahogany (DiMarzio Super Distortion/ SD Jazz)
        '04 gibson SG standard (BurstBucker Pro's)
        mesa/boogie 2-channel dual rectifier (with EL34's)
        marshall 1960A 4x12
        and a few pedals

Comment

Just remember that if the amp has been on for any length of time before you do the swap, then be careful. Those bottles can get pretty hot.

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

I smell skin on fingers burning. j/k
            Jackson, Ibanez & Ovation Guitars
            Laney, Marshall & Peavey Amplification

((tube max dissipation wattage / amp plate voltage) x % of max dissipation wattage) x 1000 = bias current in mA

"There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, never a man that couldn't be throwed." - Marshall Matt Dillon - GUNSMOKE (1959)

Comment

and wash your hands before, getting greasy fingerprints on them will burn that onto them
              Originally posted by ratherdashing
              As long as Giada exists, there is no reason for Rachel Ray.
              -05 Hamer USA Standard
              -05 Gibson Sg Standard w/Blackouts
              -07 Gibson Explorer Pro Mahogany
              -Simon & Patrick CW Spruce
              -Laney VC-100 2X12 Combo
              -Tychobrahe wah>Maxon OD9 pro+>Carbon copy>GE-7, TU-2

Comment

Working...
              X