Man Im so sick of this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Im so sick of this!

Im on the prowl for an amp, and im reading reviews for marshall clones and fairly british stuff, and I keep reading "oh the bass is too loose!" now maybe im just stupid, but isnt this one of the DEFINING sounds of the Marshall Plexi, the bouncy bottom end? I know listening too all my "strat wielding" guitar heroes you can hear the bouncy bottom end, espescially on some Yngwie stuff, who IMO has GREAT tone.
    Originally posted by drew_half_empty
    what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Re: Man Im so sick of this!

too loose is a very subjective thing. The tightness you need depends on your playing style and so should be the amp you choose. Loose bottom end might be great for a lot of classic rock and stuff like that, but won't cut it for droptuned death or prog metal.
    Maybe a lot of people buy marshalls to play metal with and then find out that they aren't tight enough, that could explain a lot of those statements.
    - 03 B.C. Rich Custom Shop Stealth EMG 81(n)/89(m)/60(n)
    - 04 Malmsteen Sig. Strat DMZ HS-3(b)/YJM(m)/YJM(n)
    - 05 Line 6 Variax 700
    - 08 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser Blackout N/B
    - 04 B.C. Rich NJ beast(Speedloader) SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - 99 B.C. Rich NJ Warlock SD Dimebucker(b)/Full Shred(n)
    - Clarity(by Johnson) Ovation Copy
    - Takamine acoustic(not sure abut year and model)
    -Engl Sovereign 100 Vintage 1x12 Combo + Engl Pro 4x12 (V30s)

Comment

Originally posted by Loserchief View Post
      too loose is a very subjective thing. The tightness you need depends on your playing style and so should be the amp you choose. Loose bottom end might be great for a lot of classic rock and stuff like that, but won't cut it for droptuned death or prog metal.
      Maybe a lot of people buy marshalls to play metal with and then find out that they aren't tight enough, that could explain a lot of those statements.

goes to show why the "Marshall is the best" stereotype is financially destroying metalheads!
      Originally posted by drew_half_empty
      what the hell ever happened to rock & roll being loud & brash & pinning you to the wall behind you?

Comment

Speakers and cabinets will also have alot of effect on the "tightness" of the amp.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Speakers and cabinets will also have alot of effect on the "tightness" of the amp.
          BIG +1
          “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Yeah ,the thing is ,evry tone description is subjective ,and tightness is more subjective than any other description!As we all are less sensitive to bass frequencies ,some are more and some are less sensitive to low midds.And this is where the story begins!You can play metal on E and it sounds tight.same amp and cab and guitar ,you play it on D and it sounds muddy!Try it on C and it will be unbearable.
            Every amp/PU/guitar/Cab has it's sound diagram.Or character.Check them out ,ask the people who plays what and with wich equipment.Foe example ,Kerry King uses Bass Cabs for his tone ,but he also uses a EQ to match his signal to it.Without EQ ,he will sound really muddy!So teh EQ is one of the key ingredients in his tone!
            Engl powerball is super tight.Try to play some classic rock!It will "not" deliver it like a Laney or Marshall.
            So you have to know what you need ,who (not just known artists) uses the right equipment and instruments taht deliver your needs.
            I know that marketing is the dark side of the force ,but you can still control it and reach the dream equipment!
            Have a nice journey!
            www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

Comment

Hmmmm, I use a Marshall 2204 with 75w Celestions in my 4x12 and the bass is plenty tight for me. I use it to play stuff from Iron Maiden to Death Metal (Morbid Angel) and it sounds great. I wouldn't trade it for a modern "high-gain Metal amp" for anything.

Cheers,

CJ
              www.myspace.com/cjreaper

Comment

Originally posted by Stratovarious View Post
                "Marshall is the best" stereotype

hahahaa
                Originally posted by ratherdashing
                As long as Giada exists, there is no reason for Rachel Ray.
                -05 Hamer USA Standard
                -05 Gibson Sg Standard w/Blackouts
                -07 Gibson Explorer Pro Mahogany
                -Simon & Patrick CW Spruce
                -Laney VC-100 2X12 Combo
                -Tychobrahe wah>Maxon OD9 pro+>Carbon copy>GE-7, TU-2

Comment

When will you guys learn?

Celtic is the best!
                  Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                  https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                  Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                  X