"New" extension cabinet- Good news, bad news

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "New" extension cabinet- Good news, bad news

Well one month ago I decided to buy a Celestion Gold - $279.00. My idea was to put it in a 1x12 cabinet and use it with my custom 30 watt amp I have. When the speaker arrived I had no cabinet ready for it so I installed it in my Boogie MKII simu-class. The Gold is rated at 50 watts so I played it with just 2 6L6's at class A (about 15 watts). I really liked the speaker, nice early break-up with chimey mids and decent bass. Well time to find a cabinet for it. I checked out the local guitar store and found a used Mesa boogie 1x12 lonestar cabinet. Brought the cab home installed the Celestion but the match did not work. The Lonestar cabinet was the large 27" cab and the sound was way too boomy and bassy. I took the cabinet back and decided to check out the local GC to see what they had. To my surprise they had a used MEsa Boogie 1x12 thiele cabinet clearanced price at $150. It was in great shape so I bought it on the spot. Brought it home and put in the Celestion, hooked it up to my 30 watt amp and the cabinet and speaker sounded pretty good. Was playing around to see what I could get out of it and POP-----no volume!!!!!! I blew the speaker!!!!
    I call zzZounds where I bought the speaker and of course no warranty once installed. Ten minutes and now nothing. I will call Celestion Monday but I am not sure they will do anything.
    So now to make a sad story at least a little better. I have had a Mesa Boogie EV 12" 200 watt speaker in my closet for years. Never really found the right use for it. I stuck in in the THiele cabinet- WOW. Exactly the opposite of what I was going for with the Celestion. One LOUD, TIGHT sound. That little cabinet could probably keep up with a 4x12.
    Any one have experience with getting a one month old speaker replace/repaired?
    Oh by the way the cabinet came with a Celestion 12M-70. Any feedback about this speaker. I only played it for 1 minute before removing it- was not impressed (probably why they hadn't sold the cabinet)
    Last edited by Al.C; 12-09-2006, 11:23 PM.

Re: "New" extension cabinet- Good news, bad news

Aren't those new speakers supposed to handle 50 watts or so?

Nice PRS. I still love that avatar.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The Thiele cabs originally came with the EV speakers in them, I've been wanting to get one but they're kinda expensive, so meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F View Post
        Aren't those new speakers supposed to handle 50 watts or so?

Nice PRS. I still love that avatar.
        They are rated at 50 watts. Now I was playing them with 4 El-84s so about 30watts BUT my amp has a switch which basically takes out the entire tone stack which really boosts the front end of the amp. I had just switched this prior to the blowing the speaker. So putting almost a square wave in would give more "area under the curve" or more power. My brother is building another "30 watt" amp this weekend and is going to measure it's actual output.
        None the less the official story still is I was playing a 50 watt speaker through a 30 watt amp and it didn't last 10 minutes. I am wondering what celestion is going to say when I call them next week. I am sure they must have some policy, just can't find it online.
        Last edited by Al.C; 12-09-2006, 11:20 PM.

Comment

I doesn't sound like that amp should have blown that speaker. I'd definitely take it up with Celestion.

Comment

Celestion is going to have a lot of angry people at their door if the new Gold speaker doesn't have the power handling they claim it does.
            Originally posted by kevlar3000
            I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
            Originally posted by Zerberus
            Better is often the enemy of good
            Originally posted by ginormous
            Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

At best, they'll cover it. At worst, you'll have to pay a Celestion repair station the price of a recone.

If they balk, politely inform them that you sit on major guitar forums daily, and they might want to help you out this one time. I know it sounds bad, but the squeaky wheel gets the greasing sometimes. You should only go there if they act like you're on your own.

As far as high wattage/low breakup speakers.....sometimes they're the better option for a 1-12 cab with a gutsy amp.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

this is the 2nd gold i heard of prematurely going toes up ... there was a TGP thread about the NJ tone fest from last month and they toasted one there that they didnt think they were pushing that hard

sorry to read of your trouble ... glad you found the EV/MB-thiel combo so satisfying

good luck
                t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Working...
                X