No announcement yet.

"Blown Speaker" comes back to life!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Blown Speaker" comes back to life!!!!

Okay guys I need your help, I am totally perplexed. On my previous thread about my new cabinet I described blowing my new Celestion gold. To re-cap, basically I was playing it through my 30 watt AC 30 amp and the thing went dead. Well not totally dead what actually happened was suddenly the volume was reduced by 95%. I hooked up another cabinet and made sure the amp was working well, reconnnected the celestion gold and still minimal volume. I assumed the speaker was toast. When I removed it from the cabinet I checked the solder joints, they were fine.
    However when I pushed the cone I did not feel any rubbing. Today I measured it's resistance and it measured just over 6 ohms (expected for an 8 ohm speaker). I thought something is not right here so I wired it up and it has miraculously come back to life.
    So I am open to explanations. Did celestion put some sort of safety heat cut off in the speaker??

Re: "Blown Speaker" comes back to life!!!!

As soon as it fails...measure it! Have a digtal multimeter at the ready. Power the amp down, and take the measurement at the speaker after yanking one of the amp-to-speaker wires before the SOB cools off.

There are two reasons for no sound: An open, or a partial short.

Perhaps there is the tiniest bit of voice coil where the insulating "laquer" layer surrounding the voice coil windings is not a problem, until the voice the voice coil windings heat up, expand and touch...shorting out most the coil windings.

Yup, I am hypthesizing out my @ss! Is there a way you can test this speaker on another amp...home hifi...guitar...or other?

edit: If one had a clamp-on ammeter...could one see a jump in "current" as the speaker dies (assuming the ammeter could follow the AC frequency of a bassier tone?).
    Last edited by Sludgenutz; 12-10-2006, 07:26 PM.

Comment

there's no impedance selector on an ac30, is there?

tom

Comment

Originally posted by Imp View Post
        there's no impedance selector on an ac30, is there?

tom
        On mine there is,it is custom built amp.

Comment

Working...
        X