Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Vibrolux Reverb

My friend used to have a Pre-CBS Vibrolux back in the day. Incredible sounding amp. They've reissued it with some updates. I've been mildly jonesing for one of these.

Anyone have experience with them? The price isn't bad (just ubder $1000, at Musician's Fiend)

Jeff
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Re: Fender Vibrolux Reverb

That reissue WILL NOT get you what you expect from your buddy's Pre CBS. Number 1 the reverb on the RI is not your typical Blackface Reverb. Matter of fact it doesn't have a whole lot of verb to spare at all when you consider what an original one has. Plus on the new ones they make them to where they break up a lot earlier.

I bought my 75' Silverface for $700 and sunk some money into good tubes and new speakers and even without having it Blackfaced or the filter caps changed it still is AMAZING!!!!

Check out the Dark Haired Lady in my sig!!!
    I get weak in the knees at the sight of a vintage Fender amp!

Comment

ditto---look for a early SF Vibrolux for maybe just a little more money. Bandmaster Reverbs are basically the same chassis for a lot less money...get a Rodgers 2x10" cab and away you go...

Comment

Guys. Thanks for the info.
        "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

The SF Vibrolux are great amps Jeff and they are in the same price range as the RI. As BBent stated get an early SF NON master volume take it to Richie Johnson at NY Music and repair and have him go thru it and give you an idea on what it will need. The Drip edge versions of Silvers are the way to go. I have a drip Edge Super reverb and a Deluxe reverb (the deluxe is a 67 the Super is a 68). They both sound Killer!
          "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I know when Christian pops in he'll have more to add, but the SF Vibrolux reverb 75 and prior seems to be one of the constantly bragged about SF Fenders for some reason. I honestly can't remember anyone complaining about them.

I bought mine on a Sunday after church and took it straight from the store back to church and played it that very night and it was the best tone I have had ever since. And that was with the original tubes, mis matched speakers, dirt, roaches and rat turds!!!

Comment

you didnt know that the rat turds are the secret to getting great tone?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                you didnt know that the rat turds are the secret to getting great tone?

Hey that's the beautiful thing about old Fenders. my theory is to buy the beat up ones and not the immaculate "never played" stuff. If it was a good amp it would probably be more likely to be beat up since it has been played a lot. i am sometimes weary of Immaculate vintage gear. I know that sounds like a silly theory, but I believe it to be true a lot of the time.

Mine was filthy, the tolex was coming off, the faceplate was coming off, the grill cloth had been sprayed silver, it was missing 3 of the 4 chassis screws etc. etc. etc.

When I plugged in there was an instant connection. Even Lindsey was like "Greg that's your sound and it's hot!!!"

So yeah maybe the turds DO add something!!!

Comment

I had a vibrolux reverb as a kid in late 60's. The reissues don't even come close IMHO. Had been using TRRI custom 15, just didn't get it.

So I decided must have to get vibroking to get that sound. Ran into nearest fender dealer, money in hand; A/Bed super reverb, vibrolux reverb, and vibroking; wasn't impressed; didn't sound that much better than TRRI cus 15.

By luck, I bumped into guy who clued me in on Bruno's. I ordered one, and no joke, if reverbs your thing; man she's got it in spades. NOS tubes, 3 D sound, best amp I've ever owned. It sounds better than my 66 vibrolux reverb ever did. You can get cowtippers used for under 2 gran, buy new for like 2500. I hear the 2 rock sig reverb custom is bout the same quality. Probably others out there also.

If you want that old rich dark fendery sound save your cash and get a bruno or you'll never be satisfied. 50% down, and usually 3-4 month wait; but my 35 cowtipper was best thing I've spent money on in last 5 years.
                  TRRI Custom 15, BRUNO 35 Cowtipper, Strats with Surfers

Comment

Originally posted by B Bent View Post
                    Check out the Dark Haired Lady in my sig!!!
                    I have a ? for you...Your amp's control panel is black-isn't that what "Blackface" means? I'm used to seeing (thinking) that the SF fenders had the silver control panel with blue block letters rather than the cursive scrolls.
                    Rambler + Tele + Stylish Chords = Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                      I have a ? for you...Your amp's control panel is black-isn't that what "Blackface" means? I'm used to seeing (thinking) that the SF fenders had the silver control panel with blue block letters rather than the cursive scrolls.
                      I thought the same thing. I'm confused.

:: scratches head ::
                      Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                      I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Greg put a blackface panel on his SF amp, from what i remember? Did you end up getting the amp rewired to blackface as well?
                        http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                        >cord<
                        1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

Aaah...Very sneaky!
                          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                          I am just jug the merlot

Comment

Originally posted by KGMESSIER View Post
                            Aaah...Very sneaky!
                            do not underestimate the sneakiness!

I've thought about it, but i cant bring myself to deface my Twin. I love her for what she is!
                            http://www.myspace.com/wildcatdotdotdot

Fender Telecaster 1962 Reissue MIJ
                            >cord<
                            1968 Fender Twin Reverb

Comment

The new Vibrolux which is called the Custom Vibrolux Reverb is NOTHING like a pre CBS Vibrolux Reverb. That is not to say it's not a good amp but it is not like the Vibrolux we have all come to know and love. The BF and SF Vibrolux Reverb amp is like another BF/SF Fender amp all rolled up in a neat little 2x10 combo...the Custom Vibrolux Reverb (CVR) is based on the reissue of the 63 Brown face Vibroverb...now the reissue Vibroverb differed from an original 63 Vibroverb in a few ways...the most impartant is the lack of a tube rectifier...the reissue has a SS rectifier. Now, take the reissue Vibroverb remove the negative feedback loop, tweak the reverb circut to have MUCH LESS verb and set it up where both the normal and bright channels have verb and vib and you have a CVR...

I had one and was able to get some good sounds out of it but not the sounds of a Vibrolux...
                              If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                              X