Blog: "Play Nice" with the 8-string Guitar in Your Band

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blog: "Play Nice" with the 8-string Guitar in Your Band

I have not really looked much into this low tuning, but I saw animals as leaders and they definitely did not play with a bassist at all!

I have their new record and the bass is easy to be felt. I dig 7 strings but I do not like the 8 strings, too hard to hear in a car and I just dont like those frequencies really.

this album:

if you have a subwoofer, watch out!

Comment

Boot camps springwood http://www.stepitup.com.au/

Wow... interesting article... i like it so much... 8 strings star is so powerful...thanks a lot of sharing... cheers :-)

Comment

I've punched bass players in the face, and they were normal....4 stringers! 8 stringers wouldn't have even been there to be punched! lol
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremiah View Post
          I can understand the desire to extend the range of an instrument, but most of the time it's just a pissing contest: "I tune to drop Z - I'm as metal as f**k"... "but I tune to drop Z flat, get that!"
          Drop ZZ.5

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
            There are so many different options that a bassist in that situation can do, that it's really only limited to your comfort level and creativity. Peter (the fine gent that wrote that blog post) and I are teaming up and going to be putting together some audio samples to prove it.

This is not a new development. Anyone that's played with a pianist/keyboardist with a heavy left hand has already dealt with this issue for decades. It takes a little more planning and the ability to step out of what the bassist is "supposed" to be playing, which in this day and age is quite wide and varied.
            LOL!
            The first time that I played with a real piano player, I wanted to hold him down and choke him to death. After a couple of weeks however, we fell into a very cool groove and actually enhanced each other.
            It still wasn't as bad an experience as going through the same monitor system with an electric drum set though!!
            sigpic Wes
            Originally posted by Robert S.
            I love you too Charlie!
            Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post
              LOL!
              The first time that I played with a real piano player, I wanted to hold him down and choke him to death. After a couple of weeks however, we fell into a very cool groove and actually enhanced each other.
              It still wasn't as bad an experience as going through the same monitor system with an electric drum set though!!
              That's how I can usually tell if I'm playing with a pianist that's used to playing solo, or with a group; where their left hand falls.
              I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
              I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

this quote from the article says it all:

"But no matter how you slice it, when you tune a bass down that low, you’re going to be felt more than heard, so you have to be okay with that from an emotional standpoint, which let’s face is is not always easy. Do you really want to be forced out of the sonic spectrum just because the guitarist wants to be able to chug out some Meshuggah? I guess it all depends on how strongly you feel about the music. "

I mean, who wants to be in a band where you cant be heard? that leaves less of a "band" and more of a virtuoso (which fits Animals as leaders)

Comment

Make him play rhythm and take solo! Scale length & string gauge allow for some neat crazyness with tapping, bends, hammers, pulls, and slaps in the teenth fret range on the first and second string....some of it undoable emtirely on geeetah!
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                  X