Thinking about a bass for my next build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about a bass for my next build

I am thinking about a P-Bass or Ibanez project for my next build, I was wondering if any of you Gods of Thunder had any suggestions. I was thinking a P with a Steve Harris Duncan and a Babicz bridge. I did notice on Ebay Ibanez parts are plentiful and inexpensive. Any hints, tips or suggestions before I get started are greatly appreciated.

Re: Thinking about a bass for my next build

I have a P I put together from parts - solid Squier body, all maple Mighty Mite neck, Babicz bridge, and SD QP pickup... sounds awesome.

I've been contemplating a Bartolini Musicman pickup on eBay, a Babicz bridge, and a swamp ash body (don't tell my wife, she'll kill me).
    "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

For one-piece maple I recommend necks from MIM 50s series.

Bodies are a bit trickier due to MIJ often using random wood and the bulletproof paint on the MIM.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        For one-piece maple I recommend necks from MIM 50s series.

Bodies are a bit trickier due to MIJ often using random wood and the bulletproof paint on the MIM.
        I have been there with the MIM paint, it even laughs at aircraft stripper. Any suggestions for removing it without sanding?

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
        I have a P I put together from parts - solid Squier body, all maple Mighty Mite neck, Babicz bridge, and SD QP pickup... sounds awesome.

I've been contemplating a Bartolini Musicman pickup on eBay, a Babicz bridge, and a swamp ash body (don't tell my wife, she'll kill me).
        I have Babicz bridges on three guitars I am getting the impression they are just as impressive for bass.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I have been there with the MIM paint, it even laughs at aircraft stripper. Any suggestions for removing it without sanding?
          No. There's a big thread going on on basstalk or somewhere where somebody tackles one of those bodies. Can't be done.

But to clarify, the 50s necks have perfectly OK poly neck finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
            I have Babicz bridges on three guitars I am getting the impression they are just as impressive for bass.
            They have a profound effect on the tone of the instrument, but I had to take it off the J I put it on - it sounded too thick and meaty, if that's at all possible. It took away why you choose J over P.

*shrug* YMMV
            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Working...
            X