Roundwound or Flatwound?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roundwound or Flatwound?

Roundwound or flatwound, what are you guys using and why?
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Re: Roundwound or Flatwound?

I'm mainly a roundwound guy, primarily because I like the tone and the attack of rounds that you can't get with flatwounds. Depending on the gig however, I'll put flats on a bass no problem.

My current favorite though are pressurewounds, which are technically neither round nor flat. They're slightly flattened in the winding process, making them more of an "ovalwound" if you will. They have a mellower initial tone than rounds, but still have the clarity. Also, they have much less fingernoise than standard rounds.
    I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
    I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

I play roundwounds. I try to get that clean, crisp piano tone from my bass without having to add extra highs and mids on my EQ. I love the way roundwounds sound when they are new and fresh so I change strings about once a month or so.
      sigpic Wes
      Originally posted by Robert S.
      I love you too Charlie!
      Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

I actually gave flats a try and I don't think I'm going back to rounds anytime soon. I used to have to compete with the other members in my band for mid and high frequencies to be heard but flats put me right at the foundation and the tone has more weight to it now that fills the sound of the band better. Granted I'm using brighter and more powerful flats (chromes, medium) I have them in a bright and powerful bass with a bright and powerful amp, so it all mellows down just right for the music I play and keeps things versatile. Plus I find them all around more comfortable to play and less obnoxious sounding because there's no screeching and scratching. Rarely have to change them and easier on my hands and my frets. I'm a pretty conservative player and use my fingers or thumb 99% of the time, rarely ever slapping or using a pick so it works for me. Plus those old school tones are so fun to play around with, especially with a foam mute under the strings.
        Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 12-18-2013, 04:36 PM.

Comment

I like flats mostly, but like everything in music, its all about context.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Flats since day one of picking up a bass 25 years ago. Nothing else sounds good to me.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Rounds.

I have flats on my Gibson and Fender Mustang, but I rarely play those.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1
              '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
              '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
              '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
              '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I have flats on my fretless and rounds on the B.C. Rich. Different tones and playability. The flats seem a bit more of a workout, but the action on the fretless is a tad higher.
                PC

Comment

Anyone using half rounds?
                  "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                    Anyone using half rounds?
                    I've used our GHS Brite Flats (which are half/ground wound) before. They're okay.

Comment

I bumped my old thread about bass strings that I got a lot of info from before switching to flats. They mentioned half rounds and stuff, check it out if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
                        I've used our GHS Brite Flats (which are half/ground wound) before. They're okay.
                        'Just okay' or do you really like them?

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                          I bumped my old thread about bass strings that I got a lot of info from before switching to flats. They mentioned half rounds and stuff, check it out if you want.
                          Good info, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                            'Just okay' or do you really like them?
                            They're just okay. They have more sustain and clarity than flats have, but are still pretty dull compared to rounds. I would probably go straight flats if I had the choice.

I prefer Pressurewounds, which are actually "rollerwound," in that the outer wrap is run through some rollers in the winding process, yielding an oval type of wrap (whereas half rounds and ground wounds are roundwounds that are ground smooth). The Pressurewounds give you a broken in rounds sound off the bat, and mellow from there, but still keep the rounds character. Plus, with the oval wrap, there is less finger squeak.

Comment

Roundwound, cause currently that's all that Dunlop makes.
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X