Preamp for solid state power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preamp for solid state power amp

How hot of a preamp do you recommend for a solid state preamp? I'm not looking to crunch up the signal just get a warm, round, full sound. Love the sound of my tube head, but it overdrives way too easily. Could I run a boost/overdrive pedal into something like a 400 watt Crown power amp, or do I need a dedicated preamp?

Re: Preamp for solid state power amp

Get yourself a dedicated preamp meant for the job. What amp are you using currently?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
    Originally posted by Securb
    The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

what tube amp are you using now? I wouldn't use an overdrive pedal as a preamp. I used to use an lr bags para acoustic di into a power amp for bass and it sounded damn good.

does your tube head have a line out?

Comment

Thanks. Yeah, I though that I probably should get a dedicated preamp.

Right now I have a Traynor YBA-1. I used to have a YBA-1A, and maybe I'll get another one. No line out on the Traynor.

Comment

is this a new yba1 or old? those are pretty under powered for bass amps but they do sound sweet.

Comment

Approximately 1970 YBA-1. Yes, it does sound sweet, but it overdrive by 2 or so on the volume. Way to low-powered. My YBA-1A was much more robust...louder, more punch...but still broke up quicker than I liked. Maybe a YBA-3 Custom Special is in order

Comment

Probably should just look into a GK 800RB and call it a day.

Comment

You could check out Tech21.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                  Approximately 1970 YBA-1. Yes, it does sound sweet, but it overdrive by 2 or so on the volume. Way to low-powered. My YBA-1A was much more robust...louder, more punch...but still broke up quicker than I liked. Maybe a YBA-3 Custom Special is in order
                  are you using the 2 input? breaking up on 2 is pretty early. seems like the tubes may be tired or not optimally biased or something.

what bass and pups are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939 View Post
                    You could check out Tech21.
                    I agree 100%. I use a Tech 21 BassDriver and no matter what amp I throw it at I can get a really warm, tube sound.

BassDriver-OM1.pdf
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1
                    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

going in a different direction,

experts: perhaps a change of speaker is the prescription....one with more headroom that breaks up later ?

Comment

Originally posted by post toastie View Post
                        going in a different direction,

experts: perhaps a change of speaker is the prescription....one with more headroom that breaks up later ?
                        Good question. Is it overdrive or speaker breakup that's got you looking? Try something with clean power, and see what your speakers are doing.

Preamps are so varied and so specialized for purpose, I'd ask what your budget was in order to get more of a handle.

There's some great pedal-format stuff (Carl Martin, EBS, Tech 21 as mentioned), and rack mount power amps are all over the place.
                        Almost every store or web page has something with decent horsepower, new or used, for not a lot of scratch.
                        You can even find some used Class D (solid state, small-footprint) amps from SWR and Ampeg.
                        Full disclosure: I'm an Ampeg fanboy. If you want warm and fat tube sound, you can't lose.

Welcome to The Great Tone Chase! On your mark, get set --
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	1904-olympics-james-landon-photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	5776027
                        sigpic
                        "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                        Originally posted by Lewguitar
                        In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

I used to put a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI in front of my solid state GK bass amp and it gave it a great, punchy tube tone. Night and day difference from the sound of the GK without the Bass Driver.
                          Last summer I got a Tech 21 Landmark 300 bass amp.

If you're using a dedicated solid state rack power amp, one of the Tech 21 rack preamps might be a great choice. But their floor pedal preamps work fine as a preamp section in front of a power amp too.
                          "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                          Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                          guitar pic site
                          Original prog rock on soundcloud
                          Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                          Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
                            I used to put a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI in front of my solid state GK bass amp and it gave it a great, punchy tube tone. Night and day difference from the sound of the GK without the Bass Driver.
                            My practice amp is a lowly 30 watt solid state "Stadium" amp that probably cost less than $100 about 30 years ago. The Tech 21 makes it sound like a whole 'nother animal.
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1
                            '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                            '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                            '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                            '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                            '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                            '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m80-bass-di ?
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X