Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worlds Easiest Playing Basses?

Originally posted by scott@artisanbass View Post
    IMO, why be resistant to new innovations? We always seem to be embracing/clamoring for the newest latest this and or that, why in our bass guitars must we stop at a design from a generation ago? We give all due respect to Leo Fender, but do not accept that his designs are perfect immune from refinement. You may not like how it looks, we've been over that, but it is an improvement to the design regardless of whether or not you find it visually appealing.
    There are a lot of people who are Leo Fender Jazz or Precision purists, and they drive me up a wall. Everyone is entitled to like what they like, and I have no qualms with someone liking something I personally find very strange (I don't find Fenders strange btw). But when a new bass player asks what kind of bass should he get, there are a number of people who respond as if a Precision or a Jazz are the only possible choices. Drives me nuts.

Your basses fall into the strange category for me, but I'm willing to withhold judgment until I get a chance to play one. And even if I don't like it, I can certainly see why others would. And I really appreciate it when people think outside of the box in an effort to improve something.

Dingwalls with the fanned frets are another example. I don't like them personally (I tried playing one, and my wrist just can't bend like it requires), but other people swear by them.
    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

You may not like how it looks
      Call me shallow, but looks are an issue for me.

When Steinbergers first came out I felt the same way. To each his own...
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
        Call me shallow, but looks are an issue for me.
        That is our society in general. Marketing is huge, and a lot of that is aesthetics.

I play a lot of different basses that people don't like the look of; that doesn't make them close-minded or resistant to change. They just don't like them, period. Personally, I like them and they work for me, and that's what's more important. But, if I didn't like the look of them, I wouldn't play them. It's that simple.
        I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
        I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
          But, if I didn't like the look of them, I wouldn't play them. It's that simple.
          Ditto.

Another factor is what you're used to.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
          '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
          '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
          '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
            Ditto.

Another factor is what you're used to.
            Maybe, but I think if it looks good to the person interested, they'll be more willing to try something new that they might not be that familiar with.
            I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
            I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

As someone who is not a Bass player per se I would be willing to try a bass like this. Do you have regular 6 string guitars with this concept or no?
              Originally posted by KBliss
              WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
              Originally posted by trevorus
              The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                As someone who is not a Bass player per se I would be willing to try a bass like this. Do you have regular 6 string guitars with this concept or no?
                Thank you. Yes, we make guitars 6 - 8 string by custom order. Send an email to [email protected] for more information.

Comment

I agree with you guys, an appealing look is important for all the reasons stated. My comment was in the context of yes aesthetics are important, putting that aside, the angled neck does work regardless of the particular aesthetic appeal of one design or another. They are just manifestations of the concept of an ergonomically/anatomically designed instrument.

The reason our J styled basses exist is because there was a demand for them. We offer other body designs and custom design as well. We hope to be able to meet the demands of any customer one way or the other. In addition, and for no additional cost while supplies last, we will design into your design, an angled neck. Everyone wins!

Comment

Thank you. Yes, we make guitars 6 - 8 string by custom order. Send an email to [email protected] for more information.
                    Great at first I thought you were going to say no. Do you have any pics of those guitar?
                    Originally posted by KBliss
                    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                    Originally posted by trevorus
                    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

I agree that they look much less "offset" in the photos where they are being played. Some of the others you put pics of look gorgeous!
                      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

The more I look at them the more I am interested in trying one out. My only problem is that they don't make one with 22 or 24 frets. I don't know why, but I'm not a fan of 20 or 21 frets on anythings. I think I prefer 22 over 24 because I play in drop tunings. When you play in drop D (or my preferred Drop Db) on a 22 fret guitar, the 22nd fret on the 1st string is an octave of the lowest note.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

cool! its good they studied it and whoa their current line has some weird ones! as the proud owner of a 4003 rickenbacker jetglo, thunderbird, and another backup bass, I wont be getting one, but its nice to know the "angle" that I set the bass on my strap is right.

If it is the best thing since sliced bread they should have a bunch of offerings for guitar and offer through big retail like GC MF Sweetwater. I bet there are a bunch of other Ergo factors to consider:

1) lightweight instrument
                          2) contours and beveled edges for sitting and playing (sitting is bad for ergo through)
                          3) other ways to make the setup more easy to play, lighter strings, maybe some sort of spring like in a whammy bar so that it is easier to push down on strings
                          4) better guitar strap

I definitely have done a lot of these things, including angling my bass by adjusting where the strap hits my shoulder and not playing the bass low on the strap adjustment!

most important thing seems to be correct form, and taking a break every thirty minutes and not playing to exhaustion.

Comment

Originally posted by everdrone View Post
                            If it is the best thing since sliced bread they should have a bunch of offerings for guitar and offer through big retail like GC MF Sweetwater.[/B]
                            All in good time.

Also, Johnny the kid, 22 or 24 frets is available via custom build, which are very competitively priced and more accommodating than most.

Comment

All in good time.

Also, Johnny the kid, 22 or 24 frets is available via custom build, which are very competitively priced and more accommodating than most.
                              Thanks for the all info, Scott. Like I said, they do look good the more I look at them. I think that angled neck is genius specifically because I play it so high up like that. I'm guessing your custom shop can do roughly anything as far as wiring goes as well?
                              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

EZ Play Models of acoustic guitar: http://www.zagerguitar.com/?event=pu...e.guitars.list

Lower string heights: So you barely have to press to form chords
                                Custom string spacing: So you're not accidentally bumping other strings
                                Lower string pressure: Increases speed & accuracy, reduces buzz
                                Custom neck design: Feels natural in your hand, increases comfort
                                Special fret design: Reduces string bite and overall finger fatigue
                                Special bracing system: Produces a richer, more powerful sound
                                Perfect quality control: Each guitar finished personally by Mr. Zager

Comment

Working...
                                X