care and feeding of a nitro finsh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• care and feeding of a nitro finsh?

In a few weeks I'll be getting my first bass that has a nitro finish.

I've read about the warnings regarding stands and hangers damaging the finish, but I plan to keep it in the HSC when I'm not playing it. I bought a Hercules stand for when I just want to put it down for under an hour because those are supposed to be saf(er). Will this length of time do damage?

I was looking online for what types of polish are recommended. I use Gerlitz Smudge-Off on my poly basses. Would this be safe? On some other forums people said Carnauba wax is good. Some even suggested Turtle Wax (!!), based on the logic that nitro is actually an automotive finish. Is any of this accurate?

Lastly, I saw a warning that leather straps will react with the finish as well. Is this true? I'm glad I saw that because most of my basses have the straps bolted on. For this bass I'll have Schaller strap locks, so I guess I'll take the strap off whenever I put the bass in the case.

Any advice would be appreciated. This project has been a very very long time in the making. I saw the finished body yesterday (Lake Placid Blue). I'd be distraught if I did anything careless or stupid to muck it up.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Re: care and feeding of a nitro finsh?

Fender's Nitro polish is actually Meguiar's car polish. That's what I use. Only use with microfiber cloth.

On occasion I've had straps do things to the finish, but I couldn't get enough information about the strap to know what it was made of.

Comment

Thanks.

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Fender's Nitro polish is actually Meguiar's car polish.
      Like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Ultim...27s+car+polish

The strap I have is definitely leather and I read that leather can do nasty things to nitro if say it lays on top of the body in the case.
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

The stuff I use is this: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-...27s+car+polish

It's the same as Fender's spray polish in their guitar care kit.

I always take my straps off before putting in the case. I've only had straps mess up the ends around where the pins are and the strap makes contact.

Comment

My experience is with nitro finishes on guitars, but I feel like it's pertinent. If it isn't, then feel free to ignore.

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
          I bought a Hercules stand for when I just want to put it down for under an hour because those are supposed to be saf(er). Will this length of time do damage?
          I can't say, but having had a "nitro" finished fender (Hwy 1 strat), I can say that even the cheapo depot stands I use don't interact with the finish.

My only observation as per the nitro finish, is that it was intended for automobiles, which spend their entire lives outside, being pelted by dirt, and road tar, and bugs, etc. so there's no way it can be as fragile as some companies make it seem. Does it react with certain polymers? Sure. But AFAIK the problem of setting a nitro guitar on a regular stand was never an epidemic or anything. I mean, my strat has called the floor its guitar stand for months at a time (I live in an apartment) and sat in my car on hot days on the chemical infused upholstery of my mazda, and the only noticeable result is that the pickguard yellowed more quickly than the pickups in it.

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
          I was looking online for what types of polish are recommended. I use Gerlitz Smudge-Off on my poly basses. Would this be safe? On some other forums people said Carnauba wax is good. Some even suggested Turtle Wax (!!), based on the logic that nitro is actually an automotive finish. Is any of this accurate?

Lastly, I saw a warning that leather straps will react with the finish as well. Is this true? I'm glad I saw that because most of my basses have the straps bolted on. For this bass I'll have Schaller strap locks, so I guess I'll take the strap off whenever I put the bass in the case.

Any advice would be appreciated. This project has been a very very long time in the making. I saw the finished body yesterday (Lake Placid Blue). I'd be distraught if I did anything careless or stupid to muck it up.
          Obviously I can't tell you about proper guitar care. I've used, for all of my nitro finished guitars (which maybe apart from my les paul is all of them AFAIK), just the things that come in the box when you buy that dunlop guitar polish, and so forth. But, apart from my strat, I've also finished all my bolt-neck guitars myself (tele, and a jazzmaster)

From my experience, if you do a nitro finish right (fill the grain, sand/sealer, sand again to like 300 grit, color coats, clear coats (like 6), wait for like 2 weeks for the nitro to settle down, run the grits (until you're wetsanding @ 2000 grit automotive paper), and you've got a sturdier finish than people give it credit for.

Again, this is all very nitro-specific. You don't have to wait a week or two before wetsanding a poly finish. And, to be honest, it's about as difficult as a shellac finish without sounding as good. But it's about as durable.

My opinion isn't worth much, but my .02 says that if your guy finished the guitar properly, 99% of guitar equipment will work fine. But, that doesn't mean that it's easy to identify the 1% of gear that will muck up your bass.

Do you have any pictures of it? It sounds hawt.
          Last edited by jimijames; 04-26-2014, 10:35 PM.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            The stuff I use is this: http://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Quik-...27s+car+polish

It's the same as Fender's spray polish in their guitar care kit.

I always take my straps off before putting in the case. I've only had straps mess up the ends around where the pins are and the strap makes contact.
            Thanks. My basses are not reliced (except thru my own use). This the first new in many years.

Originally posted by jimijames View Post
            I can't say, but having had a "nitro" finished fender (Hwy 1 strat), I can say that even the cheapo depot stands I use don't interact with the finish
            There's a lot of info online about the dangers.

Obviously I can't tell you about proper guitar care. I've used, for all of my nitro finished guitars (which maybe apart from my les paul is all of them AFAIK)
            I guess they are all very vintage (or custom finished)?

From my experience, if you do a nitro finish right
            My tech had it done by the guy who does the finishes for his custom guitars; I have to assume he knows what he's doing.

Do you have any pictures of it? It sounds hawt.
            Not yet--will post when I get it.

Thanks.
            '69 Fender Mustang bass
            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I just use pieces of black fabric on any stands where a nitro-finished guitar body or neck is going to rest. My straps all use Schaller straplocks so there is very minimal contact between the strap material and the finish on the body.

Modern nitros now have so much polymers in them to prevent the traditional cracking and crazing that they're virtually not nitro nowdays anyway.
              Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                I just use pieces of black fabric on any stands where a nitro-finished guitar body or neck is going to rest.
                I'll keep this is mind--thanks.

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                Modern nitros now have so much polymers in them to prevent the traditional cracking and crazing that they're virtually not nitro nowdays anyway.
                I'll have to ask my tech; I'm pretty sure his paint guy uses old-school nitro (he specifically said that it would check).

Thanks.

dg
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

The guitar stand issue should only be a problem if it stays on the stand for extended periods of time or if the nitro it not fully dry. That being said nitro actually hardens over a period of years. I've used stands that were marked with "NOT for use with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes" on my '84 handmade B.C. Rich with a amber nitro finish since it was new with no marks or finish softening at all. I also have my newly finished homemade bass sitting on a stand not approved for nitro right now. You should be fine.

I use Turtle Wax on my guitars once a year and a moist (with water) soft cloth anytime it needs cleaned. I have found 2 instruments that people used carnauba wax on that wound up with a gummy coating on them. If you use carnauba wax and this happens, use a soft cloth moistened with naptha to remove the stickyness.

It is possible for a leather strap to cause problems with a nitro finish depending on what chemicals are used in processing. I imagine most quality strap manufacturers use chemicals that won't cause problems. Unfortunately it may be difficult if not impossible to find info on what straps to use or not to use.

Just be a bit more careful than usual for the first year and your finish should be fine.

Really though, if you need a definitive answer on your finish we really must have a picture.
                  Last edited by ThunderLizard; 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM.
                  For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

Comment

Originally posted by ThunderLizard View Post
                    The guitar stand issue should only be a problem if it stays on the stand for extended periods of time or if the nitro it not fully dry. You should be fine.
                    Good to know. I won't be leaving it on the stand. One thought though: can the inside of a G&G case do any damage when the finish is newish?

I use Turtle Wax on my guitars once a year and a moist (with water) soft cloth anytime it needs cleaned. I have found 2 instruments that people used carnauba wax on that wound up with a gummy coating on them.
                    I'll forego canauba then.

It is possible for a leather strap to cause problems with a nitro finish depending on what chemicals are used in processing. I imagine most quality strap manufacturers use chemicals that won't cause problems. Unfortunately it may be difficult if not impossible to find info on what straps to use or not to use.
                    The strap is not a cheap strap.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Levy-s-L...82-i1171552.gc

I'll probably take the strap off when I'm not playing the bass to play it safe in the first year at least.

Really though, if you need a definitive answer on your finish we really must have a picture.
                    I'll definitely post pics when it's all done. The fish is Lake Placid blue and it will have a custom-made parchment pearloid guard sort of like a '71-'72 Thinline tele, two SD Custom Shop SCPB pickups, and an AAA Birdseye maple neck. This project has taken an embarrassingly long time to complete for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for all your help!
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I'd just cover your stand's pads with cotton. For polish, I like Martin's stuff, as well as Gibson's. With straps, IME it's not leather ends you have to watch out for, but some plastic ones. Again, a piece of cotton between the strap and the finish takes care of it. For cleaning junk off (not just polishing), I like this stuff called Dr. Stringfellow's String Cleaner and Lubricant.

Nitro finishes – even the modern, polymerized ones – are fragile. There is no real way to prevent wear and damage...that is if you actually play the bass. You can be careful and keep it looking great for decades, but it will chip, wear, check, yellow, etc., no matter how careful and caring you are. I thought I was taking decent care of my CS Esquire, but before I knew it, it was looking pretty beat, just from gigging a few times a month.
                      Last edited by ItsaBass; 05-03-2014, 10:04 AM.
                      Originally posted by LesStrat
                      Yogi Berra was correct.
                      Originally posted by JOLLY
                      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind wear and tear as a result of playing: It's simply these chemical reactions I'm trying to prevent.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

The case can do damage to a newish guitar. I don't know what summers are like where you live but in the humid heat here in St. Louis it would be a bad idea to leave your guitar in a case (or out of the case for that matter) in your car. I did that with my homemade bass with it's first finish, ironically also Lake Placid Blue, and it was the final nail in the coffin for the finish. After that I had to send the bass away to be finished.

You say it is taking embarrassingly long to get done. It took nearly 2 years to get my bass back so don't feel too bad. If nothing else the wait is a character builder...and I think all bassists (myself included) should be characters!
                          For guitars: '62 Fender Jazzmaster, '72 Gibson The Paul, '82 Dean V, '83 Dean ML.

For bass: '84 B.C. Rich Bich with Kahler bass trem, Ibanez GSR200, Ibanez EX, '87 Schecter/Warmoth frankenbass, '99 Homemade bass

Comment

The case can do damage to a newish guitar. I don't know what summers are like where you live but in the humid heat here in St. Louis it would be a bad idea to leave your guitar in a case (or out of the case for that matter) in your car.
                            It won't be in my car and New York shouldn't get blisteringly hot till July. But I will be away on business for one month starting a few weeks after I get the bass. Choice is to leave it on a stand (not my favorite idea) or in the case.

You say it is taking embarrassingly long to get done. It took nearly 2 years to get my bass back so don't feel too bad. If nothing else the wait is a character builder...
                            I bought the parts as I could afford them starting with the neck (a AAA Birdseye maple that I immediately fell in love with) 10 years ago (yes--ten).

Aside from "life" issues that prevented me from getting it done, it was always pretty hard to justify shelling out for my seventh bass. I know there are plenty of guys out there with 20 guitars, but when you live in an apartment it can get pretty hard to manage.

and I think all bassists (myself included) should be characters!
                            Generally regarded as a character, FWIW.

Thanks. I don't feel quite as bad now...
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                            X