how to get a Cliff Burton like distortion tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to get a Cliff Burton like distortion tone

so, I bought the bass muff. I've tried it out with my wah(I can't afford a Morley one) but it sounds kinda electric-ish than the raw-ish tone that cliff has.

Comment

Originally posted by bass_reaper View Post
      so, I bought the bass muff. I've tried it out with my wah(I can't afford a Morley one) but it sounds kinda electric-ish than the raw-ish tone that cliff has.
      You can try lowering the gain and increase the low end to get less buzz and more fundamental. That way it will sound less electric and more gutsy and growly.
      Here is his isolated tone from Ride the Lightning, try to match it.
      Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 08-25-2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bass_reaper View Post
        The Morley Wah brings a very unique tone to the mix... it's a very vocal wah with lots of midrange grunt and snarl. I'm pretty sure the vintage Power Wah is the Cliff approved pedal that my friend used.

The Big Muff he used was the vintage type and I can probably say that there is quite a lot of difference between the vintage Big Muffs and the bass ones.

The Big Muff + Morley Wah just flat out thins out the tone BIGTIME. The right amplifier then fills the bass back in.

That's why my friend (who is a HUGE Burton bass nut and truly played on Cliff's level even if it was his own style) used a Sunn Coliseum head and 18 inch cabinet combo... that definitely brought the bass.

The good thing about the Bass Muff is that it will retain more of your low end and you won't have to compensate at the amp end quite as much.

Bangladesh huh? WOW! You go man! Our Media Director Scott Olson spent weeks there as the first storm chaser in Bangladesh... this is a GREAT coincidence!

The depressed economy in Bangladesh is insane... the fact that you are buying gear at all is amazing! I wish there was a lower cost alternative to the vintage Morley Power Wah... the newer ones just aren't as good as the older ones.
        Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

@falloffthebone- thanks man the settings really made the tone sound a lot better!
          @zenmindbeginner- I'll see it if I can get a vintage power wah but a getting the amp is a bit out of my budget :/
          and yeah the financial condition of the country is depressing but the music scene here is absolutely on fire! though we don't have a lot of options and the prices are sky high, we're trying our best

Comment

Working...
          X