Underwhelmed by GK 800RB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Underwhelmed by GK 800RB

I didnt care for the Sansamp with mine. I thought the MXR M80 worked better with it.

Comment

Also, to clarify...I'm not saying that the GK isn't loud, it's just that it starts to grind at a much lower volume than I would like. I'm looking for more clean headroom.

Comment

Its only 300 watts so unless your using a big cabinet its gonna break up pretty early. Thats why most like it. You may prefer the 1001RB. Tons of headroom and low end.

Comment

The bag end. How many watts is it and what is the impedence? I'm unfamiliar. According to a spec sheet I found on Bag End's site the S15-B the power handling is 200 watts. If that's the case then maybe using a 200 watt cab with a 300 watt head is the problem?
          Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-10-2014, 08:32 PM.

Comment

there is no issue running a 300w amp into a 200w cab. actually, that's what you should do so. bass is like live audio in this regard. a 300w amp can send 200w of clean power to the cab and still run not overly hot which is just what you want for bass

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              there is no issue running a 300w amp into a 200w cab. actually, that's what you should do so. bass is like live audio in this regard. a 300w amp can send 200w of clean power to the cab and still run not overly hot which is just what you want for bass
              Really? Can you explain that a bit more? Never heard that and it sounds interesting. I was always advised that the cab should be at least equal to or greater than the head, especially when going for more clean headroom and volume, otherwise you could screw up the speakers. Either way I found out the 800 runs best 200w at 8 ohms anyway which is what the bag end is, so that's out. Guess he just doesn't like it.
              Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 09-11-2014, 02:07 PM.

Comment

for guitar amps you want a speaker that can handle more power than the amp can put out, a 50w speaker for a 30w amp for example. guitarists typically like distortion and that's hard on a speaker. guitarists also like their tube amps and crank them up. a 20w rated amp may actually put out 30+ watts when cranked all the way up. the 20w rms rating is at X% thd, usually 1% or less. when your amp is cranked, its a lot more than 1% thd.

in the bass world typically you are looking for clean power to keep the bottom big and tight. if your cab can handle 200w then you want to be able to hit it with a clean 200w. if you have a 200w amp you aren't going to be able to do that, at least not for long. the amp will get hot running at its limit and wont be as happy. the speakers will not be happy getting a clipped signal from the amp. if you have a 300w amp into a 200w cab you have the extra headroom to let the amp run comfortably and still give as much power as the speakers can handle. youll hear if you are hitting the speakers too hard and can back down the volume a touch.

Comment

Jeremy is wise.

I have never in my life heard of such a thing, but that makes total sense, if you're wanting a clean tone.

The reason I clicked in here, I'm trying to scratch together a bass rig. My bro has an 800RB. I have two 800 watt Selenium 15's, high freq cut is around 125 HZ, 93 db sensitivity. Can I use these speakers in a 2x15 with the 800 biamped going to a 4x12? Both cabs would be 16 ohm, or I could make both cabs stereo. I'm not looking for "good" bass tone, just loud and kinda dirty. This will be used in a Tragedy type punk/hardcore band.
                  Last edited by King IzzO))); 09-12-2014, 02:18 PM.

Comment

you wont get much power from the 800rb running 16 ohm cabs. other than that it would work.

the "low" output you'd want a 4ohm cab, the "high" output youd want an 8ohm cab

Comment

Ah, I could parallel the 2x15 to make it 4 ohm, no prob. Have you used the biamp before? Sound like chiz?

Comment

sounds fine bi-amped but I don't usually use the "high" output, just the low running into 2x10. if you are into biamping then its good. my bass played used to do it with a big muff on the bass and it sounded sweet

Comment

Working...
                        X