How Would You Wire This?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Would You Wire This?

So, hypothetically speaking of course, you got a nice deal on a one piece, old growth dark walnut P Bass body and had them route it much like Berry Oakley's Tractor Bass. You're planning on putting in a SPB-4 (Steve Harris sig) and a pair of Weather Report bridge pickups in it, slapping a jazz bass neck on it and calling it good.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2991.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5835062

How would you wire it?
    Master Vol, 5 Way Rotary Switch
    11.11%
    Neck Vol, Bridge Vol with push/pull Series/Parallel
    0%
    Stacked Vol/Tone knobs, a la Fender Jazz '60-'62
    44.44%
    Something Completely Different
    44.44%
    I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
    I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Re: How Would You Wire This?

Fretted. Already have a 4 string PJ fretless (with a Quarter Pound P and Hot Jazz Stack).

A lever might work. Ideally, the simpler it looks (and it is to use) is fine with me. Even just Vol-Vol w/ push/pull for the bridge would be ideal as that would get me a ton of tones already, and I can do the rest either by EQ or where my right hand falls.

Comment

Nice looking body!

I would wire it the same way I wired my three-pickup Warmoth Jazz. One stacked V/T control for each pickup, a Turnstyle rotary switch that has one position for full manual control and five tone presets, and a master stacked V/T control.

(I have never had any clicking sound from the rotary switch in my amplified signal. The only time I can ever hear the switch click is when the bass is unplugged.)

Name:	Sasha pink2.jpg
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	5781559
      Last edited by BlueTalon; 11-08-2014, 04:24 AM.
      Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
      To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

i like stacked knobs, i used them on guitars and basses where i want more controls but dont want to rout.

beautiful body by the way

Comment

My proposal... 4 knobs, side jack. Group the Jazzes, wire like a Jazz Bass with extras. (P + (J+J))

1: P Volume
          2: "J group" Volume
          3: Master Tone
          3 Push/Pull: series/parallel for Jazzes
          4: J Blend

When the Jazzes are in parallel you can use the blend between the two of them, when in Series, bypass the blend control.

Beautiful body!
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Three stacked pots. Volume on top tone on the bottom.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
              I would wire it the same way I wired my three-pickup Warmoth Jazz. One stacked V/T control for each pickup, a Turnstyle rotary switch that has one position for full manual control and five tone presets, and a master stacked V/T control.
              While tempting, I think that's a little much for this build. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, since I really don't fiddle with the knobs on my basses that much; I dial in a good sound and that's it. Any tonal changes are usually done with hand placement and technique, with exception of those changes that require an EQ (like going to slap and back).

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              i like stacked knobs, i used them on guitars and basses where i want more controls but dont want to rout.
              Yeah, routing is not something I want to do. Mainly because I'm lazy but also because many of my other instruments have full active electronics, having something more pared down in this format seems ideal.

I ended up pulling the trigger on a pre-wired stacked V/T jazz bass setup, complete with knobs. I'll probably run the J pickups - at this point - in parallel. If I want more options, I can always wire in a simple series/parallel switch, which would still fit in the body cavity with a minimum of hassle.

Comment

Quick update. The jazz pups are still being made, and are a little ways off, but I have nearly everything set. Just have to open her up and wire everything and I can at least use her as a P Bass until the others arrive.

Name:	IMG_3072.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	5781749

Comment

6 position Freeway switch with 1 volume and 2 tones. One tone for the P-pickup and one for the two singles.

Comment

VERY nice! The pickguard really complements the color and grain of the body wood. That looks like a nice shielding job as well.

Update?
                    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                      VERY nice! The pickguard really complements the color and grain of the body wood. That looks like a nice shielding job as well.

Update?
                      Oh, she's done and she's one big lady!

Got the jazz pickups; she's sporting two Weather Report pickups, currently wired in series. At this point, I threw on some GHS Brite Flats (was talking with a buddy of mine who loves these, and since they're the one set that I'm still not very familiar with at work, it was a good choice). With just the neck (which is the SPB-4), she sounds just like a P Bass, although I think there's a little more focus in the lower frequencies. With just the bridge, you'd swear you were hearing a J bass with both pups on full, although due to the wood and spacing, there is a little inherent Warwick Thumb character in there. Combined, it's just great. I'll get some video clips up soon on it.

Currently, she's at a repair shop. I couldn't get the action where I like it, even with a shim, so I sent it to a pro. Basically, when I drilled the neck holes, they weren't exactly straight, so the neck couldn't sit in the pocket correctly. He's got a couple other small things he wants to do, but said once it's done, she'll play like butta'.

Comment

Well, the SPB-4 pickups are probably coming out very soon. Waiting at the doorstep as I came home was a small box with SD on the side. I had forgotten that I asked about the possibility of this pickup way back in August, and was told it could get done. But now, it's here. And it's real.

It's an SPB-1 pickup, except it has all the upgrades to make it a Zephyr Silver Pickup (silver wire, glass bobbins, nickel and steel pole pieces, cryo-treated). I'm beyond excited to wire this thing into the bass and hear it. I've got a pretty solid idea of what this bass sounds like, so it'll be interesting to hear what the Zephyr brings to the instrument.

Comment

That walnut body is gorgeous. Where is it from, and do they have more?
                          And I'd have just wired all the pickups in series to the output jack, all-on-all-the-time, so I probably shouldn't have said anything in the first place...
                          Where is the gold pearl guard from? I have an all-black PJ I want a different color guard for, and that looks really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by daan View Post
                            That walnut body is gorgeous. Where is it from, and do they have more?
                            Got it on eBay, from Matt's Woodworking. He was very cool to deal with, and open to making the jazz routes.

Originally posted by daan View Post
                            Where is the gold pearl guard from? I have an all-black PJ I want a different color guard for, and that looks really nice.
                            It's another eBay find, although I can't find the seller to look it up. In the original pictures, it looked more orange; in real life it's more of a tan. Which for this bass, works PERFECTLY. That's been the biggest compliment people have given on the instrument itself.

Comment

Took the bass to NAMM for a couple of my solo demos. I also had a bunch of bass friends play it at the booth. Everyone was greatly impressed with the entire build, which was nice.

However, the biggest thrill came from stopping over at the Seymour Duncan booth on Friday, and running into MJ (since all of the pickups were wound by her). She got a bit excited when I mentioned the Silver Zephyr P pickup, as that was just recently finished a couple weeks prior. So, what's better than having pickups wound by MJ in your bass? Getting her seal of approval on the bass.

Name:	photo.jpg
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	5784019

Comment

Working...
                              X