Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New to Bass. Need Amp Advice..

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
    That TC electronics looks nice, but it is a hundred or so over budget. It is important for whatever I get to be fairly bomb proof. 15+ teenagers swinging guitars around for the first time will break anything fragile in ten minutes. I like the little Roland Micro Cube amps because they are tough, sound good, and take up little counter space. I need the equivalent in a bass amp. These kids aren't going to be playing like Billy Sheehan any time soon.
    In that case, I'd second ehdwuld's suggestion of Carvin. In the link he provided, there are two nice combo amps for $349 and one for $299. If I was looking for a practice amp and that was my budget, that's probably what I would do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mb15.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5781606Click image for larger version

Name:	mb210.jpg
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	5781607Click image for larger version

Name:	mb10.jpg
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	5781608

For what it's worth, I have an old orange Roland Cube 60 bass amp that I bought 30 years ago. It has been to the shop a couple of times, but it's still a little workhorse. I like it so much that I bought another old one off ebay a few years ago. I can't speak to their build quality nowadays, but back then they were little tanks.
    Last edited by BlueTalon; 11-12-2014, 05:02 PM.
    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

I like the looks of the Roland Cube bass. The metal grill is invaluable in a high school guitar club setting. I have had an older metal grill Vox AD30VT that I play through during club meetings, and I don't know how many times something has been banged into the front and been safely repelled.

Comment

FWIW, my school did own various Roland amps. They survived. And it wasn't for lack of stress.

Comment

Originally posted by Vajazzled View Post
          Peavey makes good practice amps.
          +1. They have a 100 watt 10" speaker bass amp for $199.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I ended up getting a newer Fender Rumble 40. It isn't bombproof, but it sounds great to me (then again, I don't know what I'm hearing on Bass yet) so I may keep this at home and get another less expensive rough and tumble [something] for the club amp.

Comment

A friend of mine uses Orange Amp/Speaker combo, which works pretty good and its not to big so it doesn't take up a lot of room.

Orange Amplifiers Crush PiX Bass Series CR100BXT 100W 1x15 Bass Combo Amp Orange
              OVERVIEW

Powerful tone to make the most of your practices and rehearsals.

The 100-watt Orange CR100BXT bass amp is the ultimate combo amp for practice, rehearsal, or smaller gigs. From the Orange Crush PiX Bass Series, the CR100BXT combines portability with solid Orange construction and durability.

Loaded with a 15" speaker and pumping out 100W of power, the CR100BXT has an auxiliary Input for your MP3/CD player and a built-in tuner! Tweak your sound with Master Volume, Contour, Presence, and 4-band EQ. Practice quietly with the headphone output, send your signal to the house PA or a recording interface with its line out, and add an extra cab with its speaker output. Case sold separately.

FEATURES
              100W
              15" speaker
              Master Volume, Contour, Presence controls
              4-band EQ
              Onboard tuner
              Aux input
              Headphone out
              Line out
              Speaker out
              Case sold separately

$499.00 free shipping MF
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
              X