Polishing a tu...... Cort Bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing a tu...... Cort Bass

So I was given this (80's?) Cort Bass by a friend. When I received it, it only had the body, neck, and tuners on it. Nothing else. He originally told me he wanted me to fix it up for him, but after I told him what it would cost (including parts and friend discount) he just gave it to me.

So I polished this turd, and the lesson I learned from all this was, There are no such things as universal parts. I mean, I already knew this, but man, I had to do so much alteration and adjustments.

But onto the pictures!

The frets just came out. I mean, I've never had frets just pop out like they did. So new jumbo frets went in.

Since this was a piece of crap P-Bass, I decided I wanted a P/J Bass. So I cut out a hole for one.

I want to take a minute and say that the pickups I ordered from TNT Guitars are AWESOME!!!! They are active pickups and are copies of EMG pickups. They are crazy loud! And for the price, I think they are so well made they could bump up the price.

The only thing I would suggest is to make the tone pot 100K ohms. It doesn't really have much range at 25K. Other than that, I'd say don't be afraid to order them.

I also ordered a pickguard from them. I had to do a little creative adjusting, but it ended up working out just fine for me.

The bridge had already been replaced once, so I had to order another one. The old one was pretty rusted up, and missing pieces.

I also had to do a bit of creative screwing. (ha, ha.) No really, the hole didn't line up with the body, so I had to put a giant screw in sideways. It ended up holding. It doesn't look as bad as it does in the pictures. I have the picture taken really close up.

So, after a ton of adjusting and such, here's the final product.

There are a lot of steps I performed that I didn't mention here. I did a ton of work on this. It seemed like every little part fought me on this one. But as I said, there are no such things as universal parts.

It was also a good bass to work on, in that, it was such a piece of crap. I literally couldn't make it any worse. Oh, I did forget to mention I moved the output jack so that I could drill a hole to the bridge pickup? And speaking of crap, did you see the "wood" this thing is made of? It really is plywood. Look at the hole I made for the pickup. You can see the layers of plywood. I think it almost speaks to my level of competence that I was able to make this thing playable. Even with a wonky truss rod.

I told myself not to bother working on it, but I just can't leave a project alone. I'm glad I did, because that same friend said he would help me with a gig playing bass, but didn't have a bass...... or a bass amp. So I was glad to let him borrow the same bass he gave me (as well as a bass amp.) Is that .... Karma? I don't know.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Re: Polishing a tu...... Cort Bass

Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Like most manufacturers, Cort is legally obliged to refrain from copying its sources of inspiration too accurately. Tweaking headstock and pickguard outlines are two immediately obvious areas.
    Yes, I don't knock em' for that. I just look at it like trying to put an aftermarket pickguard on a Strat. Whether it's Squier/MIM/American, and depending upon the year (and maybe the full moon?) I understand that it's just not going to be exact. I'm actually glad I got it as close as I did. I honestly thought it would be much worse. (Insert smiley face here.)
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

In defense of Cort, I had an Artisan 5 string bass in the late 90's that I used for all of my recording work and it was beautiful.

I only played it live when I needed that 5th string though - it was of a hip shattering weight.

Comment

Originally posted by PizzaMaker View Post
        In defense of Cort, I had an Artisan 5 string bass in the late 90's that I used for all of my recording work and it was beautiful.

I only played it live when I needed that 5th string though - it was of a hip shattering weight.
        Due to the (ply)wood the body is made of, this bass is pretty darn heavy. I know I am ragging on it a bit, but I'm just glad I was able to get it back to playing shape. I know it was abused before I got ahold of it. I'm also glad I was able to test out the TNT pickups. I am really digging them.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Just like any manufacturer, Cort had its fair share of early clunkers. Congratulations on making it playable and sounding good.

The weight should not present much of a problem for a home recording and/or song writing instrument.
          Thanks for the compliment. I'm still doing a bit of tweaking (once I'm over this uncommon cold.)

I'm not too worried about the weight as that's my bass player's problem (enter laugh track here.)

Comment

That looks pretty good man!
            I've just done a rebuild on a 1988 Aria Pro II that I picked up with crap electronics for $150. Now it plays really well. I took out the active electronics (even though now I want to put them back in!) and wired it up passively.
            Looks and sounds 100% better than when I got it.

Before:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	5781771

After:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	bass clean.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	5781772

It took the best part of 2 or 3 hours to remove the decals, which were actually pictures cut out of magazines and glued to the body!

I also had to replace one of the tuners, as the shaft was bent and nearly broken off, and some bridge saddle adjustment screws which were missing.

Now it isn't a bad bass. I know it's not a brilliant bass, but it's my first and I'm still learning, so I'm happy with it.
            Last edited by Alex_SG; 11-28-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Great work, both of you.
              There are a lot of musicians who started playing on a Cort, Aria, or Memphis, Hondo, etc, etc. These instruments often hold a special place in our memory, being the ones we may have started out playing our first riffs on.
              "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
              Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
              guitar pic site
              Original prog rock on soundcloud
              Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
              Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kosh Naranek View Post
                Great work, both of you.
                There are a lot of musicians who started playing on a Cort, Aria, or Memphis, Hondo, etc, etc. These instruments often hold a special place in our memory, being the ones we may have started out playing our first riffs on.
                Thanks a bunch. I actually liked working on this one since I wasn't worried about hurting it. This was my first time adding a jazz route for a jazz pickup. I'm glad it turned out so well. I just wish the bass weren't so dang heavy. Even though the body is plywood, it is still a very heavy plywood. Thanks again.

Comment

I second that, thanks!
                  I mainly bought this as I was a teen in the 80s, and I just love that decade. Seeing 80s retro stuff reminds me of happy times...

Comment

Oh by the way, Synzzzer...
                    Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Alex_SG View Post
                      Oh by the way, Synzzzer...
                      Sorry! Didn't mean to hijack your thread!
                      No problem at all. I'm just glad someone is reading it.

Comment

Good job to both of you! No disrespect to synzzer, (You're a braver man than I replacing frets) but that Aria looks awesome. Of course, I have a "Thing" for pointy basses....
                        I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

Comment

What make / model of bridge did you use?

Comment

nice job ,,i have my own bunch of lower end stuff i call my firewood collection lol

Comment

well it does look badass!
                              ISO - Fender Highway One Stratocaster - black
                              2004 Chevy Silveraro - 6.6 Liter Duramax Turbo Diesel
                              Pickup Booster - Lava Box - Tweak Fuzz - Vapor Trail

Comment

Working...
                              X