Mockingbird Heritage Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mockingbird Heritage Classic

Looking at a BCR Heritage Classic in trans red.

Anybody here play one? Any thoughts on them?

I fell in love with the Mockingbird shape after seeing Slash play one in the 90's and have a deficit in my bass to guitar ratio so I thought I could solve 2 problems with one purchase - not having a mockingbird and not having enough basses...

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Re: Mockingbird Heritage Classic

I don't have a Mockingbird Bass, but I do own a Mockingbird Special Guitar, and it is insanely well made. Everything on it is perfect. It has to be the best foreign made guitar I have ever seen. Perfect neck, frets, electronics, paint, etc. I have to say they really stepped their game up on it.

A year ago, I saw one of those basses, and suggested to my bass player she take a look at it. It was for sale on Craigslist for a good price. I thought it'd be nice to have.

Good luck.
    1998 Dean Select ML, Dean Bubinga ML, Dean Icon, Dean Custom 450, Luna Andromeda, DBZ Bolero, Guild Bluesbird, Gretsch G5420TG, 4 Strats, BC Rich Mockingbird Special, PMC/ Cort Archtop, Agile 7 string, 2 Custom Made, Walden D710, Dean Juggernaut Bass, Squier Classic 60's Jazz Bass, Sunn Alpha 212R, Genz-Benz El Diablo, Laney GH-100L, Crate Blue Voodoo, Univox 1051, 1987 Erich Phretchner Cello, Custom Built Electric Cello

Comment

Heard some people complain about neck dive and the stock pickups on those guys, but both can be fixed pretty easily if they happen to be an issue. They look sick that's for sure. Solid brige, neck through design with nice looking grain. 2 sets of P style pickups always arouses my interests.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
        Heard some people complain about neck dive and the stock pickups on those guys, but both can be fixed pretty easily if they happen to be an issue. They look sick that's for sure. Solid brige, neck through design with nice looking grain. 2 sets of P style pickups always arouses my interests.
        Mockingbird neck dive is not so easily remedied. I had an 82. Gorgeous but nearly unplayable when standing.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post
          Mockingbird neck dive is not so easily remedied. I had an 82. Gorgeous but nearly unplayable when standing.
          Do you think this could be remedied with a fat strap and/or shifting the strap button down on the body to the centre of the neck line? I had an old Cort Artisan 5 string years back that had a fair amount of neck dive with a normal strap, but a fat, linked leather strap fixed it. Helped me cope with the massive weight of the thing too.
          Last edited by PizzaMaker; 11-26-2014, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Strap button shift usually does it. If you need more, you can look for lighter tuners I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
              Strap button shift usually does it. If you need more, you can look for lighter tuners I guess.
              I'll see if I can convince Red Bull Racing to build me some ceramic frets and carbon composite tuners

Comment

I have a Mockingbird, and I like it a lot. It is a little neck heavy -- not heavy enough to dive on its own, but not stable enough to stay in place with no effort when moving around a lot. I solved the problem by using the upper rear bout as an armrest. It shifted the bass to my right a little, and held the bass firmly in place. I use the same technique successfully with Thunderbirds.

I suppose it's possible to fix any neck dive by relocating the strap button, but if I was going to do that, I'd put it right at the tip of the bout, and use a longer-and-stronger screw to hold it in place.
                Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Had a 83 Mockingbird. Coolest looking bass, I hated playing it because of the neck dive and the neck felt a mile long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	5781802

Comment

Originally posted by AdamR View Post
                    Had a 83 Mockingbird. Coolest looking bass, I hated playing it because of the neck dive and the neck felt a mile long.
                    For me, using the bass as an armrest for my right forearm locks it in place and shifts the whole bass to my right an inch or two. Not only is the bass stable, but I don't have to reach as far out to play at the end of the neck.
                    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Working...
                    X