Alder or ash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alder or ash?

Still thinking about building a bass. Just thinking about it for now. Should I plan for an ash or alder body? Or mahogany? Or something else? Does it matter with a bass as far as tone and sustain?

Probably would go for a trans red finish and I would want a wenge neck.

What about body weight? Would lite ash balance out a wenge neck okay..probably P bass shape.

Re: Alder or ash?

I currently own a one piece swamp ash Warmoth J bass with a quilted maple top and I used to own another Warmoth chambered swamp ash J bass with a quilted maple top. Both have (had) bubinga necks with ziricote fretboards. The bubinga is heavy, I currently own a wenge neck/ziricote fretboard on a black korina chambered les paul as well. The wenge does not seem as dense and as heavy as the bubinga at all but of course we are talking a guitar neck versus a bass neck so it's almost apples to oranges. On top of that I have seen swamp ash bass bodies ranging from under 4 pounds to over 6 pounds in weight. Wood just varies like that so the balance really depends on the weight of the body versus the weight of the neck.

Let's talk sustain and tone, I am of the opinion the body and neck woods definitely impact tone. I have also owned two alder fender P basses in my day and a Music Man bass as well. Each had it's own attitude and it's own tone. I will tell you what I like about the swamp ash/bubinga combo for now:

1. Sustain for days and days. Long after most other people I jam with have run out of sustain I can be sipping on water, holding the note and yawning without losing much at all. I find myself having to fade the bass out a lot when recording at the end of tracks because the sustain goes on and on.

2. Attitude. On my alder Fender basses, I could dig in with a little extra and get something that resembled a fart. With the swamp ash/bubinga combo when I dig in the bass growls like an angry dog... almost like a little natural gain sound. These are all passive basses I am comparing as well. The only active bass I had was the Music Man, which was great too, but I am talking passive at the moment. Anyway, I have played quite a few swamp ash bodied guitars and noticed similar characteristics when digging into a swamp ash guitar. Swamp ash seems to be an expressive and responsive body wood. Alder is great and a classic but my preference is with swamp ash... plus ash looks so sweet with trans finishes!

3. The bubinga is a bit brighter than wenge but I love both woods equally. I always say if I ever piece together another bass it just might have a wenge neck. Bubinga is great, smooth and can seemingly handle lower frequencies better than maple can without losing articulation.

Let's talk about the one thing that I do not like so much but will gladly deal with considering how nice the bass sounds/feels/plays: it is nose heavy! It's like driving a front wheel drive car loaded with a v6 or v8. The headstock always wants to take a dive. Overall my bass weighs almost 13 pounds! The body alone is 5 lbs 10 ounces. So, even though the body weighs in at almost 6 pounds the neck is so heavy that balance is impossible. Perhaps this is one of the reasons why I have so much sustain with it though. I once had a Gibson Les Paul studio that weighed 12 pounds that also had crazy amounts of sustain.

So, I would suggest to go with swamp ash for the body. The wenge neck will help balance out the brightness of the ash and you should end up with a beautiful looking and playing bass.
    Soundcloud

Comment

Ash is my favorite. Like a good swamp ash grain more than any flame, burl, or quilt. Nice and light, not very expensive. Ups to everything Snakeaces just said too.

Comment

Thanks. Ash it will be then.

Comment

Working...
        X