New bass rig !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bass rig !

I said good by to the Hartke Rig after about a year. I wanted smaller cab, a smaller rack and something a bit more reliable then my Kilo. I picked up a GK Neo 412 cab from Music 123. It was a floor model and had a ding in the handle. Price, $625 shipped ! For a head Ive had a few GKs in the past. The 800RB was great but a bit shy on low end. I had a 1001RB that had plenty of lows but had to be insainly loud to get the GK grit happening so I went with a 700RB. 480 watts, plus 50 watts to the tweet though I've never liked tweeters before.

This rig is amazing. The cab is just big enough. 90lbs, tilt back and easy to move. The amp was simple to dial in. I set all the dials at noon including the master then rolled in the input volume (GK suggestion which is the opposite how most will tell you to do it.) Perfect tone. Exactly what I've been looking for.Just the right mic of lows, mids and high end. I really like the tweeter on this amp. Being on its own amp you can blend in just the right amount of bite. The only tweeks I made was to bring the boost up to 2 O'clock and and the Contour (mid scoop) down to 10 O'clock. Even my bass is set totally flat. Usually I find my self dialing in more 1KHZ on my bass. The best part is Im down from a 8 space rack to a 4 space because I dont feel a need for my DI pedal or compressor. !

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(7).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	5836073

Re: New bass rig !

Awesome! Became a big GK fan after picking up a 400RB (II) for myself. Cool configuration on the cab.

May I ask what compressor you were using before?
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I was running a MXR M87. My pedals were on a drawer in the rack. I was also running a Hartke Bass Attack DI pedal. I have a MXR M80 DI I may try with the GK. I found last time the M80 complimented the GK tone were as the Tech 21 stuff covered it up and made it sound like Tech 21 pedals make everything sound.

Comment

Schweeet. I need one of them cabs.

Comment

Awesome man, I love GK. I used to use a 1001RB from 1999 to 2009 and I miss it. Now I mainly play guitar but I have a GK MB200 for recording. Nice rig.
          Soundcloud

Comment

very nice

Comment

Nice rig!
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Oh man, I bet that sounds sweet! 480 on the bottom and 50 on the top are plenty, especially with GK. You've got a lot of options there, plus the tone and character of whatever bass you're playing at the moment will really shine. I love GK.
                Though you might not want to rule out an additional compressor completely. I've never heard a good one, set correctly, take away from a tone, quite more so the opposite. They can take everything that you love about your rig and just make it that bit better.
                Last edited by Demanic; 01-14-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Have you compared the GK Neo412 to the Ampeg SVT810E?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Oh man, I bet that sounds sweet! 480 on the bottom and 50 on the top are plenty, especially with GK. You've got a lot of options there, plus the tone and character of whatever bass you're playing at the moment will really shine. I love GK.
                    Though you might not want to rule out an additional compressor completely. I've never heard a good one, set correctly, take away from a tone, quite more so the opposite. They can take everything that you love about your rig and just make it that bit better.
                    I will probably pick a compressor pedal up at some point. Im looking at the MXR M87 and the new Duncan Studio Bass.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                      Have you compared the GK Neo412 to the Ampeg SVT810E?
                      Not one right after the other but I owned a 810E before I bought my Hydrive 810. The ampeg is sealed so its not a deep sounding and has no tweeter. Its also a good 60lbs heavier

Comment

Originally posted by AdamR View Post
                        I will probably pick a compressor pedal up at some point. Im looking at the MXR M87 and the new Duncan Studio Bass.
                        It looks like you have an open space in your rack, have you considered any rackmount compressors? For bass I'd take a dbx-160 over a pedal any day of the week.
                        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Thats my rack tuner. Im trying to keep the rack small this time

Comment

Originally posted by AdamR View Post
                            Thats my rack tuner. Im trying to keep the rack small this time
                            My bad. Yesterday was a bit of a long day and I didn't notice it there. Given those choices, I'd use a pedal tuner and rack compressor as tuner functionality is pretty similar in both formats whereas rack compressors are far more capable than pedals.
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Working...
                            X