New Steve Harris signature bass from NAMM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Steve Harris signature bass from NAMM

Nonononono I'm not talking about the blue one that's mij.
    THIS one is based of the bass that he CURRENTLY uses more accurately; the white one.

Has the new Duncan Steve Harris pickup in it and Fender's version of the Badass II and everything.

When I got to play it, I noticed how stupidly heavy it was. Thought it was just coincidence, until I read on the specs sheet that the thing is made of FRICKIN MAPLE. THE WHOLE THING.

This begs the question.... WHY?!?

Does the bass Steve uses live all the time have a maple body too?

Click image for larger version

Name:	0123151501.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	5836297

It also has Schaller tuning machines, is $200 less than the previous signature model, and is made in Mexico.
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 01-30-2015, 11:50 PM.

Re: New Steve Harris signature bass from NAMM

His white P-bass is all maple, yes. And he plays through 8 4x12s.

He's Steve F'n Harris, you think he's gonna use Poplar or Basswood? Pfft.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      His white P-bass is all maple, yes. And he plays through 8 4x12s.

He's Steve F'n Harris, you think he's gonna use Poplar or Basswood? Pfft.
      Alder or Ash or something! That's what was standard in the 70s. Where did he get an all maple body?

Comment

I love ash as a bass guitar body. I do not think I would like a maple body, I don't even like maple necks on basses. I have a pretty heavy bass myself, so the weight is not the issue. I second falloffthebonetone's question though... where did he get an all maple body?
        Soundcloud

Comment

New Steve Harris signature bass from NAMM

IIRC, that's the same early-'70's P he's always had, and if so, it certainly is not maple. He had it painted matte black at first, then blue, then white with pinstripes, like it is now. The mirror guard has been on all three paint jobs.

That said, I'd guess he has many copies nowadays, one or more of which might be maple.

Why maple? Probably just to be needlessly different, I guess. Or maybe because his P happens to be a heavy bass, and they could attain that more reliably by using maple.

That seems like a lot of nice specs for the money. Good tuners, good pickup, good strings. I have no experience with that exact bridge, but it looks okay. Nothing on that bass likely has to be upgraded. But I really wish they'd do the matte black version, like the bass looked when he played all of Maiden's IMO best material. That's been on my build list for a while, actually. I've procrastinated because I'm not 100 percent sure how to properly reproduce a '70's P-Bass neck; I need to do more research, as it's a bit different than a '50's or '60's one.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I'm trying to understand this too. Because Harris has a pretty bright bass tone, so maybe he needs brighter?
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              I'm trying to understand this too. Because Harris has a pretty bright bass tone, so maybe he needs brighter?
              Right? Well, you can't get much brighter than maple, that's for sure!
              Soundcloud

Comment

I doubt the body is made out of hard maple like the neck, it's probably made out of soft maple which isn't hugely unusual as a body wood. In the bass world Spector has used soft maple for the body wings of their basses since the 70s, and when using just the P pickup longcat's Spector Euro sounds like a more aggressive P-bass. Maybe they wanted something similar for the signature so that people without Steve's heavy attack could get a similar sound. Similar to using the over wound Texas Special pickups in the SRV Strat to provide a beefy sound without having to use 12s or 13s.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  I doubt the body is made out of hard maple like the neck, it's probably made out of soft maple which isn't hugely unusual as a body wood. In the bass world Spector has used soft maple for the body wings of their basses since the 70s, and when using just the P pickup longcat's Spector Euro sounds like a more aggressive P-bass. Maybe they wanted something similar for the signature so that people without Steve's heavy attack could get a similar sound. Similar to using the over wound Texas Special pickups in the SRV Strat to provide a beefy sound without having to use 12s or 13s.
                  This is a great point!
                  Soundcloud

Comment

FWIW, I don't mind maple bodies. I have two maple guitars (one G&L and one Godin), and they both sound incredible. I'm actually very interested in the new Harris sig. bass, just because it seems like a lot of quality components for the money, and it appears to be MIM Classic Series quality, which is IME significantly better than MIM Standard quality. I don't think I could build an equivalent for a whole ton less. The one thing is that I can't really pull off the whole soccer/football thing. I know nothing about that team, and I only watch the sport once every four years. Maybe I'll get a used, scratch-n-dent, or factory second one and then paint it in matte black auto primer.
                    Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-31-2015, 09:49 PM.
                    Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                      It WAS pretty heavy, but not enough for it to totally throw me off guard, especially for the depth and shape of the body as opposed to like Ricks or something where they are made of maple but are also much thinner. Soft maple sounds right.

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
                        It WAS pretty heavy, but not enough for it to totally throw me off guard, especially for the depth and shape of the body as opposed to like Ricks or something where they are made of maple but are also much thinner. Soft maple sounds right.
                        Did you notice whether the team logo was under the finish? Or is it something that can be peeled or flaked off? Did the pinstriping look well done, or kind of rough around the edges?
                        Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Not buying a single word of that maple.

Also love it how signature guitars are always 100% accurate, until the more expensive version, by the same manufacturer, comes along.

Excuse me while I do the endursement puke in the back...

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            Did you notice whether the team logo was under the finish? Or is it something that can be peeled or flaked off? Did the pinstriping look well done, or kind of rough around the edges?
                            The first thing I did was feel it. It's painted in. Not a sticker or anything. Pinstriping looked fantastic. The West Ham crest is the only thing turning me off about the bass. Love the look, awesome parts making it up, I can handle a heavy instrument. I would've even probably sold some of my gear to buy it. I thought it was the real deal actually until I saw that it was flawless and said made in Mexico on the back of the headstock.

But yeah, basically a badass II bridge, big flats, Duncan pickup, fat neck, 2 piece body, not overly expensive, what's not to love?

I always thought the stripes were just black stripes with,blue in the middle, the outer stripes are actually sort of a maroon color to match the logo and the silk string ends.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              Not buying a single word of that maple.

Also love it how signature guitars are always 100% accurate, until the more expensive version, by the same manufacturer, comes along.

Excuse me while I do the endursement puke in the back...
                              Well, this version costs LESS than the previous blue one, and to be fair, his rig has been updated since the spb-1 royal blue bass days.

If you picked it up off the wall, you probably wouldn't doubt it was maple of some kind. It is a good deal heavier than the average P bass. I thought it might have been because it was made of hard ash like a lot of 70s Fenders were and that contributed to the weight. Could still be the case I guess but why bother lying?

Comment

Working...
                              X