Flat wound string suggestion for acoustic bass with piezo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat wound string suggestion for acoustic bass with piezo

Hello all. As the title states I am looking for advice on a set of flat wounds for an acoustic/electric bass.
    Thanks

Re: Flat wound string suggestion for acoustic bass with piezo

First, realize that putting anything other than the phosphor bronze on an acoustic/electric bass is going to result in less volume. However, unless you have an old Tacoma Thunderchief or a Warwick Alien, you're going to have to use it amplified for gigs, acoustic volume is really a moot point.

That said, I've used GHS Precision Flats on my Alien and they sound really nice. They have a dark character and a good thuddy attack which works well with the woodiness of the acoustic.

A lot of people really like using tapewound strings on their AEB. They're usually a looser feeling string and even more mellow and warm/rich sounding than flats.
    I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
    I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Jon, is your Alien in your profile picture?

Also, going back to the original post, I've only used DR Legends 45-125, because I love those gauges. I'd try other strings if they had a 45-65-85-105-125 set that I didn't have to custom build. But Jon knows his strings so I would listen to his advice.
      Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 02-06-2015, 09:48 AM.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
        Jon, is your Alien in your profile picture?
        Yep, although I have recently sold it because I rarely used it. I went for the top tier one, which has a slightly different body shape than the Rockbass ones and the upgraded Fishman preamp (which is also on the Rockbass Deluxe 6).

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
          Yep, although I have recently sold it because I rarely used it. I went for the top tier one, which has a slightly different body shape than the Rockbass ones and the upgraded Fishman preamp (which is also on the Rockbass Deluxe 6).
          I always thought that was some custom job. Good looking bass, though. Did you get a new acoustic afterwards?
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
            I always thought that was some custom job. Good looking bass, though. Did you get a new acoustic afterwards?
            No, I didn't. I really don't use an AEB that much at all, so didn't see a need for a new one. I did however get a killer deal on a used Rick Tuner Renaissance fretless 5, so it's "kind of" the same thing, at least tonally. I can use that for a lot more gigging applications.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
              No, I didn't. I really don't use an AEB that much at all, so didn't see a need for a new one. I did however get a killer deal on a used Rick Tuner Renaissance fretless 5, so it's "kind of" the same thing, at least tonally. I can use that for a lot more gigging applications.
              Makes sense.

Back to the OP, seriously look at DR Legends and GHS. Fender and Rotosound are good, too. ust try out different sets until you find the one you like.
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Also start off by looking on juststrings.com. They have pretty much any brand and type of string you could ever need. Even non guitar strings.
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
                X