• Show
Clear All

• NPD MXR bass d.i.+

Click image for larger version

Name:	0219151751.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	5836474
    Up until now the only di I've ever owned was the one through my amp. I used the Sansamp BDDI all the time at a couple gigs and my local studio because they just had it for me, so I just wanted one as backup and an extra channel to switch to if I want to change it up.

I went into the store to get a Sansamp Bass di, but was introduced to this guy there, so I decided to shoot them out. I went with the MXR over the tried and true Sansamp for a few reasons.

-MIDRANGE CONTROL KNOB.
    -The distortion can be switched on and off independently.
    -Built in noisegate just in case.
    -More gain on tap with a distortion texture that I find more pleasing than the Sansamp's overdrive.
    -60 dollars less.

I've used the Sansamp a lot, and it works wonders, but never been fond of the overdrive. Always seemed kind of woofy and buzzy to me so I used a separate overdrive when I needed it. This might or might not knock my OCD off my pedalboard but I went in INTENDING it to stay there anyway, so no harm no foul.
    Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 02-19-2015, 10:41 PM.

Re: NPD MXR bass d.i.+

Cool! I want that or the new ampeg DI. Or is the m80 different? That's the one I dug clips of.
    Last edited by DankStar; 02-19-2015, 10:16 PM.

Comment

All the pedal one needs right there. Unless you need some extra texture like a wah or chorus. But 3 pedals and no amp and you've got a really good setup.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Always wanted to A/B these to my sansamp, nice.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
          All the pedal one needs right there. Unless you need some extra texture like a wah or chorus. But 3 pedals and no amp and you've got a really good setup.
          It is certainly beginning to be that way isn't it?

Comment

Thats my Favorite DI. I also like the Hartke Bass Attack. Ive tried all the SansAmp stuff. They arent bad but I prefer the M80.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamR View Post
              Thats my Favorite DI. I also like the Hartke Bass Attack. Ive tried all the SansAmp stuff. They arent bad but I prefer the M80.
              I prefer them over the Sansamp. The Sansamp costs $60 more and only has one channel unless you buy the 3 channel for $10 more. Grit on a bass is great but clean bass is great, too. Especially on like softer material.
              Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
              Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
              Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
              Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
              Line 6 Helix
              Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I can't right now, but I have to explain a lot about this pedal that i discovered while playing it since that APPARENTLY nobody else, or at least very few people, has/have figured out. Not saying you guys haven't gotten it to work like this, but after I made the realization and looked back at the instruction manual, I notice that MXR only briefly glossed over it, neglected to mention it in their demo video, and it seems counter intuitive at first.

Most of the reviews I have read of this thing say that it's a great pedal, but "the distortion is either on or it's off, not very good at replicating tube warmth overdrive, and not very dynamic with your playing style" I find this to be completely dead wrong, it can absolutely do all of this and the trick is in the gate switch and trigger control, which freaks a lot of people out because it doesn't function how a typical noise gate works so they usually just write it off as just an ok feature that they don't see much point in using but aren't going to complain that it's there. I'll be back to explain more thoroughly when I have the time.

Also I found out the damn thing glows in the dark. That's awesome.
                Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 02-25-2015, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	0221151552a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	5784375
                  Ok so what a lot of people don't realize about the gate is that it is not intended to act as a normal noise gate. It does cancel some hum, but only to an extent, where it REALLY shines, and what it dually is intended as, is as a flexible dynamic threshold. If you turn the gate off or run it on low, your distortion will be pretty consistent regardless of how light your playing and how low your gain is set. This is the kind of distortion people usually experience.

BUT, when the GATE IS ON AND THE TRIGGER IS RAISED, If you keep the blend knob mostly leaning toward the clean side or in the middle and keep the gain relatively low (off-9oclock) then you will have a dynamic overdrive effect. The gate will smooth out the grit and fuzz in your tone, you can tell it is working when the light is yellow. When you PUSH the signal more, the gate will fluctuate on and off letting distortion in when you dig in and gradually cutting it out when you play softly. You can dial this in to be as sensitive as you need it to be. The further blend leans towards the right side, the gate opens easier, more gain lets the gate open easier too, the lower the trigger setting is, the less signal is needed to let the distortion come in too, so you have 3 knobs to play with to control how dynamic the pedal is, 4 IF YOU COUNT THE VOLUME CONTROL ON YOUR BASS.

Yep this thing works just like you expect. You back off the volume on your bass, that gate becomes harder to push through, keeping your tone clean. I use textured steel 50-105 roundwounds through some of the hottest passive bass pickups around (PJ G&L MFD pickups) with the tone control taken out, so naturally I run my trigger pretty high, my gain low, and I like to keep a fair amount of clean signal blended in it because the signal from the bass is already gnarly enough to drive this thing pretty easily. But the typical Jazz or P bass running through this thing with 45-105 nickelwounds will hit it much softer, meaning you can be more liberal with the distortion and back off the trigger more. It functions just like tube overdrive in this way and, when dialed in to suit your needs and setup, will break up smoothly when you dig in and clean up with a full tone when you play softly or mute your strings.

With the distortion channel engaged, the color switch automatically comes on, but the scoop it kind of creates on the clean channel is filled with more midrange when using the distortion channel, so when you play softly on the distortion channel with the gate, the highs are tamed and the mids are pushed, creating a warmer and fatter clean tone than the straight up clean channel on the pedal with the color engaged (which sounds AWESOME). But those tamed highs and full mids get DAMN close to how a typical bass tube amp responds when it is cranked but the player is playing lightly (as if the headroom was being filled), as opposed to playing with the same thing dialed in but with much more clean headroom. And as I said, you dig in and the gate creaks open letting the breakup through.

This is where the EQ comes in. The texture of the breakup distortion can be controlled through the treble knob. Gnarly fuzzy crackle distortion sounds come out when using more treble, a more growly and softer clipping tone comes when rolling back the treble and increasing the midrange. This is why I have it set the way I do. On clean with the color switch in, the low end is massive, clean, and soft, I fill in the mids get filled in a bit from the eq to add a bit more weight to the fundamental, then I keep highs straight up, because the color switch brings them out plenty enough. This clean tone is very warm, detailed and airy. Highs aren't always clicking and clacking unless you strike hard, easily muted, strong fundamental, loads of smooth lows, kind of like having a massive tube amp without driving it. Then I flip the distortion on and the lows tighten up a smidge from the distortion, but still stay prominent because the blend is leaning towards clean or straight up (keeping more of the clean signal in tact like overdrive typically does), keeping the sound huge and not fizzing out the lows. The mids from the eq get pushed a little harder by the distortion channel, making them even more prominent and filling in the scoop, creating a big and airy growl when you pick hard, but is strong and thuddy when muted or played lightly, then the treble at noon just adds a bit of rasp to the top end to mesh well with the other instruments since the breakup makes it not as sharp as the pure clean treble tone, but the texture makes it stand out well among the guitars. This emulates the kind of harmonic distortion and high end roll-off that is associated with tube overdrive, leading to full and growly mids with solid bass, then the gate supplies the control of the dynamic range.

Boom, warm tube-like dynamic overdrive. If you didn't know you could, now you know, and if you did know this already and have found out other tricks to squeeze different tones out of this thing, PLEASE TELL ME. Tweaking this thing and dialing in complementary tones with my amps is my new favorite hobby. And OF COURSE this thing is amazing for crazy fuzz bass or modern metal high gain bass tones as people usually experience, but by playing with the treble, midrange, and gain you can actually get some old school 60s-70s ratty bass fuzz tones as well as the fat and sharp prog rock bass tones like Yes and Rush. The distortion channel is TOO versatile to be written off so easily, and that gate really is something too. Usually noise gates I've run through before can kill your dynamics, but this actually enhances them since it is coupled with the distortion from the pedal specifically and isn't an outside unit.

But I'm rambling at this point. If you have never tried it before, then give those settings a shot and see what magic you can work. It still won't TOTALLY get you that specific SVT/Bassman overdrive that the Sansamp is known for delivering, but it will get in that tube amp ballpark (enough to fool anyone I know), and can take you so many more places than that. Despite it's positive ratings and reviews, I'd STILL say this thing is sold short and underrated. It kicked the OCD off my board in the end because it seemed redundant at that point.
                  Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 03-02-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Cool review. Thoughtful and detailed. I'm not going to rush out and buy a new DI because i dont play bass very often, but if i didn't already own the sansamp this review would definitely push me towards an MXR. One small, really shallow observation: I'm glad they changed the knobs. It looks much better now!
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                      Cool review. Thoughtful and detailed. I'm not going to rush out and buy a new DI because i dont play bass very often, but if i didn't already own the sansamp this review would definitely push me towards an MXR. One small, really shallow observation: I'm glad they changed the knobs. It looks much better now!
                      I barely even noticed that until recently, but yeah they totally did. Like I said too, the MXR certainly doesn't replace the Sansamp BDDI.

Comment

Working...
                      X