X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fingers vs. Picks

Originally posted by bass_reaper View Post
    Thanks for the info guys but I had a few further questions.

@falloffthebone - I've learnt a bit of both but I prefer fingers. But I agree with you that picks give a consistent growl. As for getting more bite out of your fingernails, how do you manage to slap when you've got long nails? I can't keep nails because of the problems appearing.when you slap.
    Don't use long nails unless you want a particularly shimmery tone. It's how you angle them to pick the string. I keep them medium length but curve the fingers in more, so that you kind of scratch the string. Minimal effort since you don't have to drag your skin across the strings and a lot of treble bite. Then there's that Lee, Butler, Entwistle way of striking the strings so that they counce off the fretboard and sound more percussive, similar to slap bass. So the trick there is to not apply too much force to the string, because that will slow you down, but it's in the SPEED you attack the string. Lighter touch but move fast, exactly like how chiropractors wwork: they don't just manhandle your spine, the moves are very specific and quick. Both of these give me more top end detail than when I use a pick.

Comment

Great advice man, will try it out today!

Comment

Originally posted by bass_reaper View Post
        @blueman335 - do you play faster WITH a pick?

I'm able to play faster with a pick. Doesn't mean I always will play fast with a pick.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I find it much easier to play songs where you have to flip over strings (octaves) with fingers than a pick. (Immigrant Song)
          sigpic

Comment

Fingers also allow you to play octaves, or a cord that doesn't include a note on the A or D string, simultaneously.
            Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
            To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

good point. octaves and string skipping will be easier with fingers. thanks for the advice guys.

Comment

Working...
              X