Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Upgrading from a beginner bass to a better bass! Advice needed

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
    If possible, I would suggest a Dean John Entwistle Bass. Based on the "Fenderbird" design with an extremely playable 22 fret Precision bass neck and Thunderbird bodies and electronics. I played one a bit ago and it was wonderful in my hands.
    For that price, you can get a neck-thru Epi Thunderbird with either active electronics or Gibson mini-HB's. Mine's pretty nice.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I'll take flac for suggesting this, cause it's a very heavy instrument, but the Peavey T-40 is a killer bass. Very solid, with great pickups, two volume and two tone controls, three way switch, and bullet proof hardware.

When the tone controls are set from 7 to 10, the pickups are single coils. Below 7 on the tones, either pickup will become a humbucker. You could nail the stage together with one, and still nail almost any tone you want with different pickup and coil combinations.
      - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
      Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
      The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
        I'll take flac for suggesting this, cause it's a very heavy instrument, but the Peavey T-40 is a killer bass. Very solid, with great pickups, two volume and two tone controls, three way switch, and bullet proof hardware.

When the tone controls are set from 7 to 10, the pickups are single coils. Below 7 on the tones, either pickup will become a humbucker. You could nail the stage together with one, and still nail almost any tone you want with different pickup and coil combinations.
        Nice looking basses. I think the one PU may be too close to the neck to be used as full HB, but since it comes with spin-a-split (what a great idea!) that's not an issue (unlike with SG basses). Why are T-40's so heavy?
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Depending on who you ask, and when they were made, they're built either out of northern hard ash, or oak.

Or pure lead (which, for all intents and purposes, is what your spine will think you're carrying around).

A friend of mine has one of the guitars, and it weighs.
          "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            For that price, you can get a neck-thru Epi Thunderbird with either active electronics or Gibson mini-HB's. Mine's pretty nice.
            True, but I'm not a huge fan of the Tbird necks. Plus the Dean has active EQ. The EMG's aren't active though.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
              True, but I'm not a huge fan of the Tbird necks. Plus the Dean has active EQ. The EMG's aren't active though.
              There are Epi Thunderbirds with active EQ, and some with Gibson PU's. As far as necks go, it's a personal thing.

Comment

I'm interested to know what kinds of basses are available on the open market in Macedonia.
                Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Nice looking basses. I think the one PU may be too close to the neck to be used as full HB, but since it comes with spin-a-split (what a great idea!) that's not an issue (unlike with SG basses). Why are T-40's so heavy?
                  I guess they were just making them out of cheaper woods. Back then it seemed like all Peavey gear was super solid and heavy. That joke about nailing the stage together with one isn't very far from the truth, but man they give up the goods into a decent amp.
                  - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                  Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                  The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Not knowing the market in Macedonia, or even how to find out, off the top of my head Ibanez is hard to beat in the price range you specify. While they are not MY personal preference, there is no denying their bang for the buck.
                    I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

Comment

And if you get one that's active (my personal favorite being the SR500), playing the EQ gets you very respectable Motown thud.
                      "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

There are Epi Thunderbirds with active EQ, and some with Gibson PU's. As far as necks go, it's a personal thing.
                        I know there are epi tbirds with active EQ. I forgot the "also" after that statement lol.
                        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                        Line 6 Helix
                        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Sounds like tons of good advice, there are plenty of good quality basses out there for a decent price, also find what feels good to you. What feels good to me or someone else may not be what your looking for or the tone. Anyway good luck, (Depinto bass, Fender MIM, Squire, Ernie Ball, Warwicks)
                          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                          Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
                          X