Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kramer Striker bass

Hi all,
    So I finished my latest project build--an import dual P BC Rich Warlock that I refitted with 250k CTS pots, .1uf orange drop caps, and Fender 62 reissue pickups. It's everything good about a P but more articulate. I'm not sure why the dual P design isn't more popular or tried, but in my experience it works well. I like it a lot better than the active stock stuff that was in there.

Now I'm moving on to trying a PJ. I'm seeing some Kramer Strikers, which are cheap. I like them because they have a body similar to the old 80s Jackson/Charvel/Fender Japan models but with standard and not reversed P coils (don't like the sound of reverse P's).

The only problem is they have a toggle switch, which looks a bit hokey on a bass. They have 3 control knobs. I assume these are Jazz bass style, but independent volume knobs on a bass with a toggle wouldn't be necessary, would they? Any clue what the controls might be?

Thanks.

Re: Kramer Striker bass

Originally posted by Inflames626 View Post
    They have 3 control knobs. I assume these are Jazz bass style, but independent volume knobs on a bass with a toggle wouldn't be necessary, would they? Any clue what the controls might be?

Where have you been? Independent volume controls and a 3-way toggle are on most Gibson guitars. Let's you instantly change volumes and/or tones back-and-forth with the flip of a switch. It'd work the same way for bass.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
      Where have you been? Independent volume controls and a 3-way toggle are on most Gibson guitars. Let's you instantly change volumes and/or tones back-and-forth with the flip of a switch. It'd work the same way for bass.
      Right, except the context is a little different because on bass you usually use both pickups while on guitar you usually use one pickup (at least, I don't know many people who use the toggle in the middle position for long periods of time--if they do, some folks seem to prefer a mega bucker approach with both pickups in series.)

Independent volume knobs on bass are used to establish tonal balance, while this isn't as true on guitar, where one pickup is usually favored over another.

Using independent volume knobs on a passive bass to balance pickup volume is problematic relative to a blend pot. I remember uOpt saying something about not liking passive PJ basses because he felt the P overwhelmed the J. If I remembered correctly, he preferred an active blend pot to independent passive volume pots.

Using that line of thinking, I thought, "If independent volume knobs are used to set the balance between the neck and bridge pickup, why is a toggle even there?" It was then that I thought that perhaps a toggle was seen as a better solution to achieving volume balance on a PJ bass relative to independent volume pots, which, based on uOpt's experience, tend to be problematic.

In short, independent volume knobs and a toggle on a bass seem redundant when both pickups will most likely be used all the time. Having both pots cranked would be the same as the having the toggle in the middle. At best, the toggle could be turned to the middle to create a parallel sound and the unwanted pickup turned all the way down in order to isolate the pickup you want in parallel mode.

This is exactly how I use independent volumes on my guitars. In my case, on my guitars the volume controls are independent in order to isolate pickups when the toggle is in middle/parallel, creating a parallel type sound from one pickup. It also allows me to get a parallel sound from a split humbucker. This gives me a way to have split and parallel type sounds without needing a parallel/split/series 3 way toggle (although there will be tonal differences between two pickups in parallel and the coils of a single pickup in parallel, I'm sure, due to differing locations on the string).

So, I don't use independent volume controls on a bass (pickup volume balance) the same way I would use them on a guitar (pickup isolation).

Comment

The Fender Jazz Bass Special which the Duff McKagan signature is based on has V/V/T with a 3-way toggle. I believe the JP-90 did as well, and I've also seen a few Jackson Concert Basses with that set up. The Charvel Model 2Bs & 3Bs initially had that configuration before switching to Vol / Blend / Tone in mid/late 1986.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
          The Fender Jazz Bass Special which the Duff McKagan signature is based on has V/V/T with a 3-way toggle.
          The original JBS had V/V/TBX. This is what mine had until I removed the TBX. I hate switches so I went with a vol/blend/tone.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
          '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
          '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
          '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

I see the point of a toggle if you want to change tones quickly (probably not very useful with rock bass). I just think they look cheesy on a bass.

Comment

I found the toggles on both my JBS and my Rick 4001 completely annoying. I used to accidentally hit them at times and really had no use for them whatsoever.

Went Vol/Blend/tone on both and never regretted it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1984 Fender Jazz Bass Special_4209.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5788187

Click image for larger version

Name:	1976 Rickenbacker 4001S_4283.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	5788188

Heresy to some, I'm sure, but I bought both new and will never sell them.
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1
              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Do you guys find a difference between independent volume knobs and a blend pot?

My concern is how useful all of this is if a person does not like on instrument tone controls or boosting EQ via on instrument tone controls.

Since I'm a guitar player, I don't particularly care for dialing in a lot of complex tones on an instrument. I'd rather do it on an amp or via software presets that I can later recall, which is more precise than using instrument settings.

I know a lot of people prefer active controls on a bass, but I subscribe to the EQ rule that says you'll hear cuts more than boosts. When I used active EQ on my guitars (EMG 81/85 with concentric BTC in 18 volts), it sounded false and brittle past a certain point. So I've rarely found use in boosting via onboard controls. If I do need to boost, I prefer boosting active EQ's on amps, which I know I'll be on, say, 6 or 6 1/2, versus an approximation that I would have to find by ear if I used active tone boosts on a bass.

I suppose my only concern would be the number of pots in a passive circuit that the wiring "sees" and whether this degrades tone relative to more sophisticated alternatives like a blend pot. I don't know enough about all this stuff to decide, but it's something I've thought about.

Comment

At the time I thought the blend was a good alternative to the existing toggle switch on the JBS and the Rick; not sure I'd do it again though.

I did both of these mods several years ago; since that time I've opted opted for vol/vol + a DPDT push-pull for series-parallel on the tone. I've really grown attached to that configuration.

I also don't do much complex dialing in on the instrument. I know where I like the tone knob on all my basses and generally don't make changes there except for the push-pull on the DPDT.
                  '69 Fender Mustang bass
                  '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Sounds like we're of the same mind dg27. I prefer my guitars active for metal, so I like the warmth of a passive bass to offset the traditionally compressed sound of actives.

Your setup also sounds like what I have in mind once I build a bass with the SD NYC soapbars, which look great.

My guess is the NYC part is an allusion to Sadowsky basses.

Comment

My Squier Jazz was the first one in which I tried the vol/vol/DPDT. Then last year I built a Warmoth with two SDSC P stacks and the same setup (the Custom Shop provided a wiring diagram: PM me if you'd like it).

Right now I'm putting together a MIM Fender Jazz with the same config and noiseless passive Jazz pickups.
                      '69 Fender Mustang bass
                      '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

How do you find the stacks and noiseless pups?

A lot of people say they can't tell the difference, but in my guitars I feel like vertical stack pups dampen the highs and dynamics a bit (this being a STKS1 Classic Stack noiseless relative to a true single coil like an SSL 1).

I could see the point as far as keeping things quiet under lights in a live situation, but with recording, where the only thing I really have to fear is noise coming from a computer monitor and cellphone, I'm a bit skeptical of noiseless designs.

Comment

The stacks I have in my Warmoth were custom wound and are a matched set.

No hum whatsoever, but I was surprised at how bright and powerful they are--there could be a lot of factors involved including placement of the neck pickup.

I'm undecided what pickups I'll put in the Jazz, but I'm looking for more warmth.
                          Attached Files
                          '69 Fender Mustang bass
                          '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Cool. I have never seen a dual SC P bass design. Beautiful color.

Comment

Thanks.
                              '69 Fender Mustang bass
                              '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

Working...
                              X