banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fender Jazz Bass - 2015 Mexican overhaul (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Jazz Bass - 2015 Mexican overhaul (pics)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-30-22-47-43.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	5839216
    Check out that striping in the rosewood! Is there a proper term for that coloring in the wood?

Ill start by saying that I would have loved an American Jazz bass, but there were several things that made me get this very specific jazz bass as opposed to a US, besides the pricing. I mean did you see that stinking fretboard? More pics of that to come...

Name:	Screenshot_2015-11-30-22-46-16.jpg
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	5839215
    First I changed out that wretched white pick guard with a groovy-cool tortoiseshell pick guard (no animals were harmed in the process, as far as I am aware.) Dunlop strap locks also added.

Name:	20150731_140756.jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	5839218

Ahh much better than the white one if you ask me!

Secondly I removed the malnourished, pathetic, puny and for all intents and purposes JUNK bridge and replaced it with a Hipshot brass chrome bridge. I will say that the transference of vibration from the string to the body can be felt at a greater level, and sustain and tone improved. And it looks sweet IMO.

Name:	received_10208351952660383.jpg
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	5839219
    Next I opted to take advantage of my guitar tech at GC and had him level and finish the frets on the guitar so it would play more consistent and with less fret buzz... yucky buzzes...

Name:	20151107_113840.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	5839211
    ...able to see the unevenness you are not, unless the force you have... (star wars references are a must considering the time in which we live...

Name:	20151107_113833.jpg
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	5839210

Name:	20151107_120440.jpg
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5839212

Pictured was the last of the steps of finishing the frets, in which using progressively finer sandpaper and smoothing things over after leveling and crowning. Also another picture of that beautiful pick guard and fretboard.

Next was polishing and lubing that beautiful wood (don't get too excited

Name:	20151107_120540.jpg
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	5839213

And that folks, is as far as I've gotten with this baby. I don't see a point in changing the tuners, they seem to be just fine and dandy, and the pickups, well I'm content for now but I am wondering about getting something different. Any such thing as a jazz bass pickup that is thick and cuts through like a p bass? How about a jazz sized humbucker for the bridge? Active passive electronics? There are a lot of ways to go and many I suppose are just preference as this bass is so versatile and sounds awesome.

Last but not least a picture of 30 pounds of bacon. Just because I love you all.

Name:	20151026_131950.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	5839214
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bjeans79; 12-01-2015, 02:19 AM.

Re: Fender Jazz Bass - 2015 Mexican overhaul (pics)

Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Pickups?

Bartolini 9JL/S #1 or #4.
    Seymour Duncan AJB-1 Active EQ "switch" pickups (any version)
    The AJB pickups definitely have me intrigued!

Comment

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5789363
      “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I'm glad someone put the effort into a worthy response for the time and energy it took for me to post stuff no one seemed to care about. I am not good with using my mobile to post all this stuff and edit it after every picture, and I am butt-hurt by the lack of response. It hurts my self-esteem. I am glad you liked the bacon picture.

Comment

This room doesn't get a lot of traffic.

How did you choose the bridge? Can you tell a tonal difference?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers
            On the SDUG forum, most of the activity is in the guitar-centric rooms. The Bassment is a comparatively quiet backwater. This is both advantageous - in the sense of there being fewer Fæcesbook idiots - and disadvantageous - in the sense of there being fewer of everyone.

For more information and opinions on the AJB-1 pickups, see this thread.
            I'm only sort of kidding about the lack of traffic... I haven't seen too many necks with fretboards this pretty on a jazz bass...

Thanks!

Comment

Sorry, I thought my reply had posted yesterday... I don't want to say that it made this incredible night/day amazing tonal difference, however I will say that I notice more sustain, better string vibration in the body and more body to the notes. I chose a hipshot brass chrome bridge, made by my friends in upstate NY. The difference in weight was incredible compared to the stock one, besides the fact that it is just better for the sound I prefer. I was turned on to hipshot by my one of my luthier friend and their good reputation for a high mass bridge. I absolutely recommend getting a hipshot, or at least some kind of high mass bridge. I just didn't want a badass bridge, I think the hipshot is much more classy.

Comment

That looks great.

Comment

I know we're on the SD forum, but the DiMarzio Ultra Jazz are the mutt's nuts if you want a noiseless Jazz set with a little bit of P attitude up in the neck but a faithful Jazz flavor overall. I have a pair in my own MIM and am very glad the store owner talked me out of what I had been looking for.

Comment

Wowza! I love that fretboard! And I love everything you have done to your bass. Swapping out the bridge was a great move in my opinion -- a lot of purists prefer the bent-metal bridge, but the Hipshot is vastly superior in engineering, sustain, and (in my opinion) looks.

For pickups, I'd recommend the SD Apollo pickups, since we're on the SD board. I have no experience with the Apollo, but I have experience with other dual-inline-coil J pickups, and I prefer their tone + silence to single-coil or stacked J pickups.

Gorgeous bass! Like it I do!
                    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
                    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Very classy upgrades indeed.

Try a series/parallel Push/pull tone pot and a no-load volume pot from Stewmac.
                      Gives a Jazz bass a whole new palate of tones and balls.

Comment

Love the bacon stripes on the fretboard

Carvin makes a stacked humbucker J bass replacement
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                          Wowza! I love that fretboard! And I love everything you have done to your bass. Swapping out the bridge was a great move in my opinion -- a lot of purists prefer the bent-metal bridge, but the Hipshot is vastly superior in engineering, sustain, and (in my opinion) looks.

For pickups, I'd recommend the SD Apollo pickups, since we're on the SD board. I have no experience with the Apollo, but I have experience with other dual-inline-coil J pickups, and I prefer their tone + silence to single-coil or stacked J pickups.

Gorgeous bass! Like it I do!
                          Thanks man, glad you like it! I have been looking into the AJB pickups... I wonder how correct they sound to the j bass bridge sound when split. Only 2 ways to find out, get one myself or have one of you tell me how 'chirpy,' 'muddy,' 'brittle,' 'punchy,' or 'throaty,' it is, and I am set!

haha

Comment

Working...
                          X