Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Pointy basses that aren't horrible

Violence for violence sake is an effect. Not going to ascribe the cause. At least not in an open thread.
    But then, you say that like it's a bad thing (in best Dead Pool inflection).

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by EDX View Post
      uh you can always drip some epoxy there, mix some epoxy paint on the holes left by the frets, then just put an epoxy clear coat over the whole thing, it might as well take you what? half an hour on just mixing and applying epoxy plus a couple hours while it dries, and is a nice experiment
      Well, it turns out that I need a reamer for the tuning machine holes. So be it. That's the route I'm going. Not fretless on the neck I have. Get it?

Comment

Fretless are indeed their own beast. I had a Pedulla PentaBuzz some years ago that was great, except the previous owner used roundwounds on it and ate through the fretboard coating.

On one hand, I wish I would've kept it, but on the other hand, the guy in Japan I sold it to helped me track down my current "I'll be buried with it" guitar (and no, it isn't pointy ) which was only available in Japan.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

I've owned a ton of pointy basses. Mostly Charvel/Jacksons.
          The Charvel 3B was great, neck through, active electronics. Stock pickups arent terrible. They are basically the same bass the Ellefson recorded Rustin Piece with.
          I currently own a Jackson JS2, A Jackson CMG, a Jackson Kelly, A Jackson Kellybird V and s early 90s Jackson Concert V.
          Ive also had an early BC Rick NJ series Mockingbird

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
            While most of the top-ranked Jazz musicians have a College degree in music on their wall, a larger percentage of Metal musicians have the albums they learned from on theirs. While the typical Metalhead can't read sheet music, many can create a Classically-themed guitar solo on the fly that is equal in technicality and compositional form to the works of Beethoven, Chopin, or Mozart, and again, they learned it from listening, not by being told.
            Who? As much as I love the metal repertoire I cannot say that I've heard anybody approach this level of sophistication. If there is indeed anything in the metal guitar repertoire that could go back-to-back with, say, the Tempest Sonata in terms of musical multivalence (I have two volumes of analyses of the first movement alone sitting next to me), I would definitely be interested. I hope you will not find it condescending for me to doubt the statement, though, as I've yet to hear such a thing.

Comment

You could probably make a case for the more intricate progressive metal bands, like Tool and Queensryche, having a lot of classical structures to their music.
              "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqMOKoYE10Mb8!P4BNs8WG5IUw--_3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	5797334

Name:	947627e5f75b5935bce3ca6968424eec.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	5797335
                Entwistle loved him some pointy.

Comment

Name:	P1010109.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	5797348
                  My pointy bass. It looks all 80s hair metal, but it sounds great for classic rock and blues too.
                  The stock Jackson pickups sounded blah, so I have a Dimarzio Split P and Ultr Jazz pair in it now.
                  "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                  Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                  guitar pic site
                  Original prog rock on soundcloud
                  Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                  Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                    You could probably make a case for the more intricate progressive metal bands, like Tool and Queensryche, having a lot of classical structures to their music.
                    Well, the claim was about 'improvised solos', and the subject 'typical metalheads', but as a Queensrÿche fan of more than a decade I think I can safely say that I have yet to hear anything from them approach the complexity of, say, the aforementioned Tempest sonata.

Comment

On another matter: Are there any Warmoth-style brands that sell pointy necks? Neither them, nor Musikraft or USACG (not a big surprise there!) seem to offer them except as a custom option.

Comment

If you want to hear bands that use technical complexity, try Dimmu Borgir or Cradle of Filth.

Comment

lol technical complexity of classical music from a self taught guitarist, just look at power metal, Kai Hansen, Michael Weikath, Henjo Richter and Roland Grapow just to name a few, by the way kai and weiki are pretty much the godfathers of power metal and they're self taught

around minute 2:42 they play the main motif of in the hall of the mountain king, according to kai he learnt it by ear as he was unable to read music back then, weiki used a music sheet and ear as he knew how to read music at least enough to being able to use the sheet, although it's pretty much ripping a classical piece they have also come with original pieces that compete with classical music, a good example is the solo battle kai and weiki do on Halloween, roland grapow has many solo stuff and sideprojects on which he shows off similar complexity, that's the reason weiki took him as the replacement for kai when he lef helloween

Comment

My Christmas/birthday present

Comment

Sorry, didn't manage to get the top of the headstock into the shot.

Comment

The pointiest bass I ever had was an Ibanez Axstar in the late 80's early 90's. I'll agree it wasn't horrible. Easy to play for a guitar player. Wasn't stellar either, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X