Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hofner Gold Label Limited Editions 500/1

Hofner Gold Label Limited Editions 500/1

Get the guaranteed best price on 4 String Electric Bass like the Hofner Gold Label Limited Edition Violin Bass, Custom Rosewood at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of...

Get the guaranteed best price on 4 String Electric Bass like the Hofner Gold Label Limited Edition Violin Bass with Birsdeye Maple at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands...

Get the guaranteed best price on 4 String Electric Bass like the Hofner 5000/1 Deluxe 4-String Electric Bass Guitar at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

I really like the look and sound of the last one...the Deluxe 4 string - anyone have any experience with these? Our band plays classic rock and R&B and I'm hoping the 500/1 would work well.

Thanks for anything you can share!

Re: Hofner Gold Label Limited Editions 500/1

The last two appear to be variations of their early and late 1950's models, respectively. I have a '66 500/1. I've played 2-3 before, but only owned this one. Hofner's, sound-wise, sit right in their own pocket in the mix. They are slightly dead on sustain, but have good low-mid thump to them.

But they are very idiosyncratic. For example, a G on the A string up at the 10th fret, is twice as loud as a D on the E string at the same fret (or perhaps saying the D at the 10th is dead, is more accurate). So you will have to train your hands to constantly play harder and softer for each note you grab. Lots of hot spots and dead spots all over the neck. Compressors won't help you - you'll lose control of the tone.

Comment

If you're going for an authentic 60's rock tone, that will get you there, no question. Can't be more real 60's than Sir Paul.
      My one encounter with a Hofner gave me much the same result as Beau told about above. Dead spots all over.
      Compounding that, the bassist had these sludgy-sounding nylon bass strings. Not plastic tapewound, but an actual coating of black nylon the strings were dipped in.
      I don't know what brand, and I never asked. Of all the strings I've tried over my years, that's the only kind I never bothered to find and try on my own.

I'd roll with the tried-and-true split-coil P for the R&B stuff, myself, but to each his/her own.
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
        If you're going for an authentic 60's rock tone, that will get you there, no question. Can't be more real 60's than Sir Paul.
        My one encounter with a Hofner gave me much the same result as Beau told about above. Dead spots all over.
        Compounding that, the bassist had these sludgy-sounding nylon bass strings. Not plastic tapewound, but an actual coating of black nylon the strings were dipped in.
        I don't know what brand, and I never asked. Of all the strings I've tried over my years, that's the only kind I never bothered to find and try on my own.

I'd roll with the tried-and-true split-coil P for the R&B stuff, myself, but to each his/her own.
        Thanks so much....reading this from both of you is enough for me to conclude I'm not going with a Hofner and will have to keep looking. Are there any short scale bases that impress you?
        http://www.alembic.com/prod/stanley.html I enjoy everything about Stanley Clarke...wondering how his short scaled bass plays?

Comment

It does look nice, and it will probably get you what you need as far as tone you are looking for but that's about it.
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Diminished Triad View Post
            Thanks so much....reading this from both of you is enough for me to conclude I'm not going with a Hofner and will have to keep looking. Are there any short scale bases that impress you?
            http://www.alembic.com/prod/stanley.html I enjoy everything about Stanley Clarke...wondering how his short scaled bass plays?
            Oh, short scale bass, how I miss thee...

You get a short-scale bass, well set up, and it would almost play itself.
            My former Les Paul Triumph (RIP, sold for bills) was such an animal.

The Alembic Stanley Clarke is a clear, almost crystalline top end, and powerful on the bottom. Very articulate.
            It's not muddy or boomy at all. You can EQ the living crap out of it, and you'll still be able to tell it's an Alembic.
            If price is a consideration, be prepared to pony up well into 4 figures for it. Deluxe models are reaching north of $10K used. (Reverb link)

It can be a real slap machine, and like its' namesake, crazy quick fingerstyle comes through. Some guys aren't into that.
            It was the 1970s before people were looking for bass sounds like the Alembic... Stanley Clarke, Larry Graham, and Louis Johnson, the Holy Trinity of slap.
            Both Stan and Louis played Alembics, but Louis was just passing through, on his way to early Music Man models.

If you're still looking for an authentic '60s rock and R&B sound, full of blooming fat-bottomed juiciness, I'd steer you in the direction of a Gibson SG Standard bass.
            That's some solid heritage right there, with guys like Jack Bruce (early violin-scroll headstock EB-1, also an EB-3), and Jack Cassidy from Jefferson Airplane (a semi-hollow sig model).
            Those would fit the profile you seem to be after.
            sigpic
            "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
            Originally posted by Lewguitar
            In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Working...
            X