This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a stereo output jack?

I'm building a 5 string bass from scratch, and I've decided on the Music Man Ceramic pickup. I like the STC 3M4 Music Man Active Preamp wiring harness. My question is: What's the difference between a stereo and a regular (mono?)output jack? Will a regular guitar cord work with a stereo jack or what? I don't understand one instrument, one output, having any sort of stereo application.
    Thanks for any info you might have.
    JBGenthner
    JBGenthner

Re: What is a stereo output jack?

Stereo jacks are typically known as TRS jacks (Tip/Ring/Sleeve). A mono jack is typically TS (tip/sleeve).

TRS jacks are typically used as on/off switches in active guitars.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I've heard of people using stereo jacks to route individual pickups to as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H View Post
        I've heard of people using stereo jacks to route individual pickups to as well.
        Chris Squire did this. The neck pickup of his Rickenbacker was routed through a Fuzz box and then into a conventional bass amp, while his bridge pickup was routed elsewhere and kept clean.

Commonly, one uses a stereo cable when they're using piezo pickups along with magnetic pickups because a lot of people send the piezos through acoustic DIs for those types of sounds. Mono outputs are typical for 90% of the instruments out there. As someone pointed out above, because you plan on using an active preamp, the stereo output will save you battery life so it's recommended to use one. When I first got active pickups, I had a tendency of leaving my cable plugged in not knowing that it kept the circuit on. I went through about three batteries before I learned my lesson.
        Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 02-12-2017, 12:14 AM.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

So, the stereo jack is an on/off switch for the battery circuit? Using a regular cord, just unplug if from the guitar and the battery circuit is off?
          Thanks! If I'm getting this right, this is a great help; I don't have the electronics skills to do all the fancy stuff, (old dog you know), but its good to know for the next time.
          Thanks so much for the quick responses too.
          JBGenthner
          JBGenthner

Comment

Originally posted by JBGenthner View Post
            So, the stereo jack is an on/off switch for the battery circuit? Using a regular cord, just unplug if from the guitar and the battery circuit is off?
            Thanks! If I'm getting this right, this is a great help; I don't have the electronics skills to do all the fancy stuff, (old dog you know), but its good to know for the next time.
            Thanks so much for the quick responses too.
            JBGenthner
            Yep.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Again, thanks.

Gear list:
              hand made guitar, hand made 4-string bass, Marshall JVM410H amp head, JCM 900 4x12 speaker cab, GK 75W bass amp. My son is the one who really plays, and he has a Gibson LP, (~2004), a Gibson V (~1970's), an MIM Tele, a Frankenstrat, and a Tobias 4-string bass. Our Family room is quite full.
              JBGenthner

Comment

Working...
              X