banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another String question... 5 string set on a 4 string?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another String question... 5 string set on a 4 string?

So...I have a 4 string I tune to Eb (Down 1/2 step)

I have a couple of 5 string string sets....EB regular Slinky - 45, 65, 80, 100, 130

What strings would you use for an Eb tuning? Might occasionally tune down to drop D or even a low C#.

Which four of the five would you use?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: Another String question... 5 string set on a 4 string?

130 is too big for Eb, IMO. But I understand if 100 is too small for D and C#. Somewhere around 45/65/85/110 is my preference, in other words Hybrid Slinky with a 110 "E".
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Does such a thing exist???

Comment

Unfortunately it's buying another E string. Sucks. Thankfully I change bass strings once every two years or so.

Of course www.stringjoy.com exists now, haven't tried it yet.
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

What are you looking for out of the strings? Are you going to do a lot of work on the 1 and 2 like Billy Sheehan or Steve Harris? If so, you might want the 45 and 65 for those.

For the 3rd, that could easily go 80 or 100, depending on what you're doing on the 1 and 2, and how/if you integrate the 3rd into that.

For the 4th, for maximum flexibility, I'd say the 130 but tune it only to the lowest open note you will go to, and then transpose for the song in question. When you need that open C#, it's there. WHen you don't, move up the neck. Chords and scalar patterns might involve a bit more stretching, however.

As an added bonus, you (and you alone) would have the option of dropping to a lower D while everyone else is in standard, so you can really fatten things up, or do the intro to Judas Priest's 'Love Bites' accurately.
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

Dunlop makes a 50-110 set that would work for Eb-D standard. Anything lower and I'd go with a 55-115 set.
            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
            Line 6 Helix
            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I like 45-105 in Eb. IMO 130 is waaaaay too heavy.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The c# only gets used for Def Leppard. And usually not this bass, and not me.

I don't like the 130 string. I'm a guitar player - this is my bass in Eb. Actually have another tuned to E that I would more likely tune down....

Yeah - regular set on this me thinks.

Comment

I saw a thing recently with Bryan Beller where he did exactly what you mentioned. The only thing is he tuned down to C (which makes sense) and I'm guessing a nut filing is in order.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                    I saw a thing recently with Bryan Beller where he did exactly what you mentioned. The only thing is he tuned down to C (which makes sense) and I'm guessing a nut filing is in order.
                    And that's why I wouldn't recommend doing it with Eb. C standard is a half step up from B, which is fine and for Dethklok, Beller does want a bit more tension on the strings, but Eb would be way too much tension on the strings. If the strings don't snap, there's a high likelihood of damaging the neck.
                    Line 6 Helix
                    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

For a bass in Eb 95% of the time regular or hybrid will be great.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                        And that's why I wouldn't recommend doing it with Eb. C standard is a half step up from B, which is fine and for Dethklok, Beller does want a bit more tension on the strings, but Eb would be way too much tension on the strings. If the strings don't snap, there's a high likelihood of damaging the neck.

That would be my thought, but everyone is different. Again, me thinks a nut widening would be in order IF someone was to do it, and that is a no-no to me. Mostly because if you didn't like it, then you are in need of a new nut.

Comment

Originally posted by toowrongfoo View Post
                          That would be my thought, but everyone is different.
                          This isn't just ever one being different. This is physics. At some point a string becomes too thick to feasibly use in a particular situation. I read a review a while ago on some DR 13-65's and the guy complained because he said that they snapped when he was trying to tune to standard. They aren't made for standard. Same with a 125 tuned to Eb. It's just too high for that string to handle the tension without snapping.
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                            This isn't just ever one being different. This is physics. At some point a string becomes too thick to feasibly use in a particular situation. I read a review a while ago on some DR 13-65's and the guy complained because he said that they snapped when he was trying to tune to standard. They aren't made for standard. Same with a 125 tuned to Eb. It's just too high for that string to handle the tension without snapping.
                            That's also why B-A 8 string guitars tend to have fanned-frets as a regular .007 string that you'd use for the high A tends to be very prone to breakage on 25.5" scale. The solution is to use a special high-tension string (which costs more than the rest of the set on its own) or shorten the scale of the high A to around 24" (or slightly less).
                            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                              That's also why B-A 8 string guitars tend to have fanned-frets as a regular .007 string that you'd use for the high A tends to be very prone to breakage on 25.5" scale. The solution is to use a special high-tension string (which costs more than the rest of the set on its own) or shorten the scale of the high A to around 24" (or slightly less).
                              It's the argument of multiple scale lengths in general.
                              Line 6 Helix
                              Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
                              X