Duncan NYC pickups ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duncan NYC pickups ???

So I just found these in the website. Anyone using these? Are the humbucker sounds usable for rock or metal, I would love to try those for versatility as I really would love to switch from true jazz tones to something with punch enough for rock / metal in a single bass rather that having 2 bases.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
    Who took my guitar?

Re: Duncan NYC pickups ???

I don't own them, but have used them before. The 3 tones you get are really great, and you can go from a very 'hi-fi' sound to an over-the-top metal thing, too. They should be more popular than they are, but it i the form factor that isn't as popular as traditional Jazz or P bass pickups.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      I don't own them, but have used them before. The 3 tones you get are really great, and you can go from a very 'hi-fi' sound to an over-the-top metal thing, too. They should be more popular than they are, but it i the form factor that isn't as popular as traditional Jazz or P bass pickups.
      Do you think those pickups can fit into a Jackson JS3V ? That seems to be the only 5 strings 35 in scale I can afford and I would rather upgrade it that buying a second bass.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

Get out a ruler..here are the specs.

Comment

Thanks, now I am learning more about bass pickups. The NYCs size is equivalent to EMG soap bar that seems to be a defacto standard.

I actually got a used Yamaha RBX 375, weird pickup size for a 5 string pickups but it is ok for now as this is my very first own bass.

I printed the images from the link in real scale and got a "paper shape" that put on top of a real bass. The string spacing looks ok to me, I just need to figure out how to easily fill the gaps (maybe some leftover foam from the SD pickup package ) but other than that these pickups should be super easy to retrofit any bass with soap bars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	5800474
          Who took my guitar?

Comment

By the way, is there any wiring diagram for the NYCs? What are the recommended values for potentiometers/capacitors to be used in a passive bass?
            Who took my guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by IMENATOR View Post
              By the way, is there any wiring diagram for the NYCs? What are the recommended values for potentiometers/capacitors to be used in a passive bass?
              AFAIK they're 4-conductor humbuckers, so you'd wire them just like a guitar humbucker in either series or parallel. For potentiometers, I'd start with 250K as those seem to be pretty standard for passive basses. You can always swap to 500K if you want something brighter or punchier.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yeah, I have never installed them myself, but my guess is that they are regular 4 wires.

Comment

Working...
                X