Pick Up Selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick Up Selection

I recently switched from a country group, to a harder rock band. I went from flatwound strings to Dean Markley Helix 45-105s. Love the strings. It's got an aggressive growl to it. But I want a little bit more. I've got an Alder body Fender P-bass with I'm going to assume stock pick ups and pots. I use a tech21 Sansamp DI with Ampeg SVT settings. Any direction on pick ups, pots and/or caps would be greatly
    appreciated.

Re: Pick Up Selection

Try to post in the Bassment section get more views. This place is packed with guitar players.
    I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Pick Up Selection

I recently switched from a country group, to a harder rock band. I went from flatwound strings to Dean Markley Helix 45-105s. Love the strings. It's got an aggressive growl to it. But I want a little bit more. I've got an Alder body Fender P-bass with I'm going to assume stock pick ups and pots. I use a tech21 Sansamp DI with Ampeg SVT settings. Any direction on pick ups, pots and/or caps would be greatly
      appreciated.

Comment

Quarter Pound is a go to choice for that, or the Steve Harris signature pickup looks cool
        sigpic
        Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by RobBrochu View Post
          appreciated.
          Definitely put this in The Bassment!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by allbutromeo View Post
            Quarter Pound is a go to choice for that, or the Steve Harris signature pickup looks cool
            I've heard the QP in a bass similar to mine. Not the same strings which may make the difference but while it sounded good, it's not the sound I hear in my head.

Comment

The Steve Harris is epic for "a little bit more". It sounds authentic P Bass but when you dig into it, it has that grit to it, just like you hear on the Maiden records. I love it.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

My thoughts are echoed here...check out the Quarter Pound first, and also the Steve Harris pickups (less scooped, more lows). You can leave the pots as they are.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Agreed with pickups- Also suggest EQ and possibly compression- My country bass tone is clean and airy (broad dynamics and frequency) while my rock tone is mainly low end with far less dynamic range.

Fingers also make a big difference- I practically never use a pick for most genres, however, with faster rock, picks really bring out the attack while preserving the undertones.
                  What's so Funny about Peace Love and Understanding?

Comment

Originally posted by RobBrochu View Post
                    I've got an Alder body Fender P-bass with I'm going to assume stock pick ups and pots. I use a tech21 Sansamp DI with Ampeg SVT settings. Any direction on pick ups, pots and/or caps would be greatly
                    appreciated.
                    I have a '76 P (also alder) and also use the Tech21 with SVT settings. I had QPs for years but last year I switched to DiMarzio Model P. I prefer those for that bass.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1
                    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                      I have a '76 P (also alder) and also use the Tech21 with SVT settings. I had QPs for years but last year I switched to DiMarzio Model P. I prefer those for that bass.
                      Why? What is different between the two to drive your preference?

Comment

It's hard to put it into words, but I think the Model Js sound more natural, whereas the QPs are simply LOUD. I was using the QPs in a very loud two-guitar r'n'r band years ago and they were fine, but for material that is more subtle, I find the Model Js more suited. This is all subjective, of course. I love the QPs in my Squier Jazz, but I have more flexibility with that bass anyway (for one, I use S-P switching, which changes things quite a bit).

If you are in a harder rock band the QPs should be fine, but there are other options.
                        Last edited by dg27; 08-19-2017, 09:30 PM. Reason: typo
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1
                        '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
                        '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
                        '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
                        '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
                        '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
                        '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

If those strings are nickel plated steel then I suggest trying stainless steel.... those'll give you a "little bit more". If they're already stainless steel then I have nothing else to suggest.
                          || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by some_dude View Post
                            If those strings are nickel plated steel then I suggest trying stainless steel.... those'll give you a "little bit more". If they're already stainless steel then I have nothing else to suggest.
                            They are nickel plated. I've got a set of straight stainless on order. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

Alder and PJ is a well known hard rock recipe.

Comment

Working...
                              X