Wanting my first bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post

I have 2 of those same models for my high school class, they are pretty good and smooth players.
    check every single nut and screw on it when you get it, both mine had loose parts.

I suggest eventually getting flatwound strings for it, makes them play like butter !
    Man I've got everything to learn about a bass, I'm a bass virgin lol.

I saw a few posts about flat wounds and checked out a few videos and I'm definitely going to try them.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

Man I've got everything to learn about a bass, I'm a bass virgin lol.

I saw a few posts about flat wounds and checked out a few videos and I'm definitely going to try them.
      I'm probably flats but that was a bit controversial last time we discussed it. Don't get chromes. We all agreed if you had to do flats, those were stickier.

Comment

Check this out, a synopsis of the some old time bass players

Comment

After fooling around with many different types and sizes of picks I settled in these for the bass, and I'm super happy with them.

Dunlop Primetone Guitar Picks 477-304 3mm Round Tip 3 Pack - Dunlop Primetone Picks 477 Great for jazz & gypsy jazz Bright and durable polycarbonate Carved gripping surface Available in 3mm and 5mm 5 definitive shapes Accuracy and tone are two key elements we took into consideration when designing our JD Jazztones. Developed specifically for the jazz guitarist, JD Jazztones feature a super gripping surface, are non-flexible, great for speed, and have a precision contoured edge to ensure a smooth release. Available in 3mm and 5mm. 5 definitive shapes.
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Thrash_Metal View Post
            After fooling around with many different types and sizes of picks I settled in these for the bass, and I'm super happy with them.

https://www.stringsandbeyond.com/dun...ip-3-pack.html

Excellent, I was looking around online and didn't find much of anything.
            . These look nice and beefy too, I like that.

Comment

So are you playing your bass rig?
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                So are you playing your bass rig?
                Wednesday

Comment

Check this out, a synopsis of the some old time bass players
                  Whatever you do Sol, don't play bass like Scott plz.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post

Whatever you do Sol, don't play bass like Scott plz.
                    Don't worry, I'm sure it will be unique lol. For a while anyway

Comment

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be unique lol. For a while anyway
                      Dude has the most farty funk jazz academic bass style.

Plays like if I taught my mom to play bass in her 70s
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I have played bass for... 21 years now? :o. (keep in mind, the last 11 years flew right by). And owned 5 different, great basses.

My favourites were the:
                        -Cruiser/Crafter 5-string, shaped in a Rickenbacker style, with two MM humbuckers and active EQ. Got it for 200usd used, very nice one.
                        -Epiphone EB-0, bought new. I loved it to bits, though; a thicker neck would make it perfect.

If I were to get another bass (I have none now), it would be a cheap/(budget "violin bass", with the real hollow body. Strung with flats.

It might look "cheesy", and seem like it would only work for certain styles. But; it's so easy to play- and gives "the" bass sound, for my use and ears, atleast! .

A bit "OT"- try a set of flatwounds on your bass. Maybe a size lighter than the rounds you'd use (because of added tension).

Fresh flats got a beautiful harmonic overtone range, and also a much more musical bottom end, I think. They also feel nice under the fingers!

Good luck

-E ♪
                        If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I almost got one of those Ibanez basses but I kept going back to the Sterling SUB Ray4 and that's the one I bought. Either one is solid.

When I play bass, no pick. I prefer the fingers. I will use a pick on certain songs if I have to but if I can get away with it, no pick.
                          Last edited by ErikH; 01-12-2022, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                            I almost got one of those Ibanez bases but I kept going back to the Sterling SUB Ray4 and that's the one I bought. Either one is solid.

When I play bass, no pick. I prefer the fingers. I will use a pick on certain songs if I have to but if I can get away with it, no pick.
                            I have been very impressed with the Sterling Sting Rays, too. Of course, that is a specific sound, so you have to dig it.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

I have been very impressed with the Sterling Sting Rays, too. Of course, that is a specific sound, so you have to dig it.
                              The Sterling or the next step up Ibanez was my first choice but I figured it's 'just my first one. Lol. If I even dig it, I'm sure I will but this may satisfy my itch.

Comment

When I first got back into playing I was gifted a Johnson P bass copy. It served me well for several years, but the stainless strings that I used seriously chewed up the frets.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X