Best budget "violin/beatles" bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best budget "violin/beatles" bass?

So... after the house fire in 2018; where I lost all my instruments and stuff; I've been without a bass guitar.

I've decided to start saving up for one, and I'm looking for a budget, but reasonable quality "violin" bass;- the hollowbody short-scale kind used by Paul McCartney and others.

Finish isn't as important to me; as the bass being light, having a good neck- and not falling apart in my hands. I'll be playing about every style of music (apart from slap bass)- and string it with flats.

I see that both Hofner, Epiphone and other manufacture various verisions of this model, in a budget price range.
    though, I don't have the possibility to try anything out before buying; I'll have to order things unseen.- :/

If anyone got 2c about this, I'd appreciate it

-Erl
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Other budget hollowbody, short-scale basses with (important!) a neck pickup all-the-way forwards the fretboard; might be considered!
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

If you have the patience you can always send it back until you get one you like. I was looking at the Hofners the other night and I did see others. I'll look again tonight and send you links.

Comment

There's a lot of decent used ones for less than $400 and the new Ignition series is priced at $399.

here's a used one but I'd more than likely go with a new one for $399.

Comment

Comment

It's worth remembering that Paul's was a cheapo when he got it.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I see there is a Harley Benton model, that's half the price, of the Hofners and Epiphone. :o

With my limited income; it might be the one I'll get.

..that is, if something used doesn't show up!

Thanks guys ♪

-E

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                It's worth remembering that Paul's was a cheapo when he got it.
                It was never a cheapo. I had a used one in the 70ies for quite a time, the famous 500/1. It was a handmade hollowbodied instrument by german luthier masters made of massive flame maple back/sides, spruce top and and bound ebony fretboard. At that time the exchange rate between GBP and DM was hugely imbalanced, so for him as a professional musician it was manageable to buy it as an investment.
                To the OP: I saw the Harley Benton in flesh, but did not play it. It looked plain but nice.
                Last edited by hamerfan; 02-07-2022, 09:52 AM.
                I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I recommend the Ibanez BTB367 6-string bass guitar, which has a solid spruce top and maple body with a cool violin finish. It's a 30" scale, which will help make it easier to play in tune with all the other instruments in your band. It has the kind of tone that'll help you capture the distinct sound of the instruments in those legendary bands. I can recommend finding it on https://www.evergreenviolin.com/. These guys have the lowest prices on the market, which is a great advantage for you.
                  Last edited by Tymuss1983; 07-31-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tymuss1983 View Post
                    I recommend the Ibanez BTB367 6-string bass guitar, which has a solid spruce top and maple body with a cool violin finish.
                    Welcome to the forum.

Do you have a picture of this bass? I'm not finding any Ibanez basses matching that model number, and all the BTB model descriptions are not anything like a Beatles-style completely hollow violin bodied bass. Certainly would not be 6-string, for a start.

Comment

Working...
                    X