X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P bass, J bass?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MFNYREU...p_mob_ap_share

What did I buy?

Should be a good bass. Things I notice right away, thin nut that will help you get your hand around it. PJ setup, while hated by the “traditionalists” is actually great. You can go P with the tone down for classic P bass blues/R&B/Rock sounds, roll in the Jazz for cut, use just the Jazz for burpy bridge tones and roll up the Phat EQ (seems like an EMG EXB) for modern picked rock tones like Mike Inez and for slap.

Its a good, do it all bass.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

i had a 300 back in the day and it was a decent bass. light, played good, and sounded decent

Comment

You bought a PJ bass based on the pickup configuration. Very common setup. The Jazz pickup in the bridge adds some snap when mixed with the P pickup. Greg Chaisson's basses with that setup; at least his old ESP's, and I know for a fact the black one; have two volumes, no tone, so he can mix the pickups together. You'll be able to do the same with the controls on that.

Comment

What's the phat II EQ knob all about?

Comment

Ibanez makes some good cheap basses, a good low-cost choice.
            Gave one to my son coupla years ago when he wanted to dip his foot into the water on expanding into playing bass.
            I keep an old Ibby PJ as a knockaround/jam bass - it sounds good, plays well and has held up reliably for thirty years.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
              What's the phat II EQ knob all about?
              Looking at your Amazon link it’s an active boost (like the EMG EXB) that boosts treble and bass. It’ll be a sound good for slapping/popping and picked rock.
              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

Looking at your Amazon link it’s an active boost (like the EMG EXB) that boosts treble and bass. It’ll be a sound good for slapping/popping and picked rock.
                Sure enough, I never even looked.

Comment

Just go get a Squire P/J special and a Zoom FOUR bass pedal. All you need really...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    Just go get a Squire P/J special and a Zoom FOUR bass pedal. All you need really...
                    I have the bass, I'm going to try my little Vox Stomp lab first and if that's no good I'll get some dedicated pedals or a multi effects unit.

Comment

I have the bass, I'm going to try my little Vox Stomp lab first and if that's no good I'll get some dedicated pedals or a multi effects unit.
                      If you are just starting out with bass, leave the effects alone. Learn to play it first, how to connect with it, how to lock in with the drummer, all the basics. Add effects later. Most bass setups are completely dry anyway. If you want to add anything, toss an overdrive like a Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS9 out front for a little grit. Not a lot, just a little. Compression is helpful too but not necessary when starting out. It can actually hamper you from learning control of the bass and how dynamics react so leave that out for now. Walk, don't run.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

If you are just starting out with bass, leave the effects alone. Learn to play it first, how to connect with it, how to lock in with the drummer, all the basics. Add effects later. Most bass setups are completely dry anyway. If you want to add anything, toss an overdrive like a Boss SD-1 or Ibanez TS9 out front for a little grit. Not a lot, just a little. Compression is helpful too but not necessary when starting out. It can actually hamper you from learning control of the bass and how dynamics react so leave that out for now. Walk, don't run.
                        You know I always 'kind of' wanted a bass but after almost 2 years of having a keyboard I really wanted a bass. It seems like I'm approaching this completely backwards because now I'm thinking about a drum set.

This also makes me understand music so much more, viewing it from a different angle.

Comment

EB-0!!!
                          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post
                            EB-0!!!
                            HU?

Comment

HU?
                              It's a bass. The Gibson EB-0. SG shaped.

Comment

Working...
                              X