TBX mods for bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TBX mods for bass

I'm about to rewire my fender mustang bass. It has pj pickup configuration. I'm wanting to get rid of the pickup selector and run each pickup to a stacked volume pot then to the TBX then to output. Probably replace the pickup switch with a kill switch.

So my main question is what are your favorite mods to the TBX circuit for bass? I've seen one that involves a 1M resistor and an additional capacitor for bass cut. Does anyone know any other modifications to adapt the TBX to suit the bass better? Thanks for any feedback.
    It's funny how some stories became historic,
    especially when the authors clearly wrote them to be metaphoric,
    But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Seem to work fine in most Fender basses without modding. I have one in my old Yamaha BB-300, and it sounds terrific. No mod needed. I mean, the TBX IS the mod. Why you feel the need to jack with it?
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

ICT, explain the difference in the PHAT EQ on my Ibanez to a TBX please.

Comment

I'd need to know something about the Ibanez, and since I haven't opened one up... I shouldn't speak to any differences. One cool thing about the TBX is its passive - no battery. I assume the Ibanez is active?

Comment

What I have found with passive bass cut circuits is you don't notice much of a difference at low volumes but as the volume increases you start to notice it. However, an active circuit is more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
            Seem to work fine in most Fender basses without modding. I have one in my old Yamaha BB-300, and it sounds terrific. No mod needed. I mean, the TBX IS the mod. Why you feel the need to jack with it?
            I thought it was meant for guitar in the wiring diagram that came with it shows the setup for strat and tele. Ive heard that using it in a bass requires a larger capacitor value. What value capacitor is on your bass TBX?
            But people will believe anything when it's written in stone or ancient scroll...-Fat Mike

Comment

I'd need to know something about the Ibanez, and since I haven't opened one up... I shouldn't speak to any differences. One cool thing about the TBX is its passive - no battery. I assume the Ibanez is active?
              Yes

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
                ICT, explain the difference in the PHAT EQ on my Ibanez to a TBX please.
                Correct me if I’m wrong…. The TBX has a center detent. From 0-5 it functions as a standard tone control, rolling off highs based on the cap and pot value. From 5-10 is it just adding resistance in series to ground, reducing load and therefore increasing presence/treble/raising the resonance frequency? At 10 you basically have 1.082M to ground and the standard “tone” side is removed from the circuit due to the no-load trace?

The Phat EQ on the other hand is an active treble and bass boost. As you turn it up the bass gets louder and it’s like a graphic EQ with a smile rolled in.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I thought it was meant for guitar in the wiring diagram that came with it shows the setup for strat and tele. Ive heard that using it in a bass requires a larger capacitor value. What value capacitor is on your bass TBX?
                  I used the stock stuff Fender sold me.

TBX Tone Control Potentiometer Kit | Parts (fender.com)

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

The Phat EQ on the other hand is an active treble and bass boost. As you turn it up the bass gets louder and it’s like a graphic EQ with a smile rolled in.

. . It's not just bass or treble, it's both at the same time, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Mikelamury View Post

Try it first. Bass and guitar aren't so vastly different that you need tailored circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post

. . It's not just bass or treble, it's both at the same time, right?
                        Yes, similar to a contour or loudness type control.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I used the stock stuff Fender sold me.

TBX Tone Control Potentiometer Kit | Parts (fender.com)
                          So the tone cap is only active in the regular tone circuit from 1-5 correct? So I assume changing cap values will just affect your treble roll off from 1-5, is that correct? Thanks alot for everyone's input!

Comment

Working...
                          X