banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quarter Pound Jazz Pickups fit in this Squier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quarter Pound Jazz Pickups fit in this Squier?

Squier by Fender Classic Vibe 70's Jazz Bass V - Maple - Natural : Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

I know the Seymour site says the quarter pound jazz pickups won't fit import basses, but I'm feeling like maybe if I'm lucky that information is either outdated, or this particular bass where it's a 70's style might be exempt from that. I'm pretty new to bass, can anyone help me clear up if i'd be able to fit some Duncan Quarter pounds in this Squier?

I wanna buy a bass.. I have a Soundgear SR505 right now and it does play nice, but it's too modern for me and I'm looking for something a bit more classic.

Only thing I'm unsure of is the fret size, I'd prefer something a little bigger but all the description says on this guy is "narrow and tall" which sounds about right for me if it's what I'm thinking. if anyone can comment on the fret size I'd appreciate that as well ! I've been looking at basses for a little while and this is the one I've been keeping my eye on the most.

Still debating between the 4 string and 5 string versions of the bass.. but the same question would still apply I think
    Last edited by BeKindRewind; 03-31-2022, 08:53 AM.

As I remember, on the Fender stuff the pickups are slightly different in dimensions - the bridge unit being a bit wider. The protrusions for the height adjustment screws are spaced a wee bit wider, too. On the Squiers - the pickups are exactly the same size, and it's not a big deal to gently lengthen the routing for a proper fit. The protrusions can be slightly re-arched, too. The enlarged bridge pickup hole will barely be noticeable if done correctly. I've been using a Dremel rig for decades to do it.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
      As I remember, on the Fender stuff the pickups are slightly different in dimensions - the bridge unit being a bit wider. The protrusions for the height adjustment screws are spaced a wee bit wider, too. On the Squiers - the pickups are exactly the same size, and it's not a big deal to gently lengthen the routing for a proper fit. The protrusions can be slightly re-arched, too. The enlarged bridge pickup hole will barely be noticeable if done correctly. I've been using a Dremel rig for decades to do it.
      Yep.

Make it fit. For what it’s worth, I have an import Jazz (not a squier, though) but QPs dropped right in. You never know til you try.

Comment

I'd also live with the stock pickups for at least a little bit...it might give you more insight to what pickups the bass needs.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          That’s what I’ve found too, that the Squier 4-string uses two of the same pickups instead of a bridge and neck. On my MIM Jazz V the QPs fit. I wonder if you can buy two of the same pickup directly from SD?

OP, either way, make them fit. QPs sound awesome on my Jazz V.
          Last edited by PFDarkside; 04-04-2022, 08:37 PM.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yeah, my Squier Jazz uses 2 of the same size pickups. So I'd have to order 2 neck pickups for them to fit.

Comment

So, guys, all the responses are much appreciated, but the way the chips fell, I ended up getting a different bass entirely!

When I was looking at the Squier bass I noticed a Fender MIM Bass that was on sale for a really good price, so I grabbed that instead . Instead of a 5-string jazz, I got a 4-string MIM Precision bass. The price was too good.. and it's one of those things where you think you know what you want, but circumstances make you fall in love with something that never would've been your first choice. I'm over the moon with this thing.

The stock pickup is actually really, really good. I still want to try a Quarter Pound in it, though. Will update when that happens

Comment

Sometimes it's best to wait for the good deal to come to you instead of chasing what you hope is a good deal.
                aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Took me long enough, but I have been playing a lot of Bass lately. Very into it the last couple months or so, can't stop playing my p-bass! I bought it cause it was a handsome deal, but I fell in love with it because it's actually awesome, and bass is just really really fun to play. I've owned a soundgear bass for about 10 years now but I never really got INTO it. The P-bass is what I needed all along. Now I'm feeling that groove that makes playing bass so fun, it's clicking and I wish I hadn't waited this long

No really ,I'm having a blast. I play bass more than I play guitar right now. And about 2 or 3 weeks ago I finally put the Quarter Pound into it and it's just one of the best things I've ever heard in my life. Discovering these amazing bass tones and how fun it is to play has inspired me to want to practice and really learn the instrument and I'm having such a fun time with it ! You bass players of the forums have gained an avid newbie.
                  Last edited by BeKindRewind; 09-29-2022, 08:39 PM.

Comment

P basses are awesome. When I was gigging regularly I was auditioning different basses and played my buddy's P bass. I swear I played a single note and knew that was the bass I was looking for. Solid, fundamental, fill the sonic space like nobody's business. It's fun to me to base a song around guitar and then base one around bass... totally different vibes come out.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                    http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

I have a PJ, and sometimes I like having the flexibility of the second pickup, but if there are any sonic issues, trouble cutting through, etc., it's right back the P setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggot View Post
                        I have a PJ, and sometimes I like having the flexibility of the second pickup, but if there are any sonic issues, trouble cutting through, etc., it's right back the P setting.
                        I’ve found Ps always overpower Js. Just screwing around, I tried a Tbird in the bridge position instead of a J.

GLORIOUS…and hum cancelling in all positions.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

I’ve found Ps always overpower Js. Just screwing around, I tried a Tbird in the bridge position instead of a J.

If I went to a two-pickup P Bass setup, it would either be with a TBird in the bridge or a MM.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

I always have to go with something like a QP Jazz or Hot Stack in the bridge to keep up with the P Bass pickup.

Comment

I have the older Vintage Modified version of that Squier bass (4-string) and the bridge and neck pickups are NOT the same size. The bridge pickup is very slightly larger. I had a set of Seymour Duncan Vintage Jazz bass pickups in that bass for a while and they were a drop-in fit. Sometimes the pickguard pickup cutouts are a bit tight, bit a little filing fixes that.

Comment

Working...
                              X