I don't care for the bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't care for the bass

It was a passing fancy. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting rid of it soon. I'm going to try playing a guitar through the 50 watt Orange that I bought for it. If I like it I'll keep that and maybe just buy another guitar.

Also, an octave pedal for when you want those lows.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would hang on to it. It is great to have a bass or any other instrument differing from your guitar around the house. I use mine a lot for writing and recording.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Also, an octave pedal for when you want those lows.
        It seems that that is what it's lacking, I just dont feel it. A bigger amp maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
          I would hang on to it. It is great to have a bass or any other instrument differing from your guitar around the house. I use mine a lot for writing and recording.
          I usually use the keys for writing jut I was looking to use the base as well because the framework of what I'm writing depends on it. Maybe its the bass or the amp I dont know, Imgoing to try pluggining it into my other amp maybe I'll like that better.

Comment

Bass is definitely a different instrument. Can't approach it like guitar - soft touch is good. So is experimenting with using your thumb to pluck, palm muting with a pick, etc. Also good to get a setup - high action and clinky strings will kill the vibe instantly. Also consider putting flatwounds on there - with no treble, you have no choice but to play like a bassist. And the smooth feel is addictive.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Just sit down and learn the entire "We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" album. You'll love the bass after that.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                Just sit down and learn the entire "We Sold Our Soul for Rock 'n' Roll" album. You'll love the bass after that.
                This sounds like great advice. What Alex said is good advice too, I never got a good set-up on it and I haven't fully explored all of my string options.

Comment

I would never want flat wounds on my bass. But then, I like lots of treble, the proverbial "banging on a piano string" tone.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    I would never want flat wounds on my bass. But then, I like lots of treble, the proverbial "banging on a piano string" tone.

That's the sound I like, too. Chris Squire!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post

That's the sound I like, too. Chris Squire!
                      Among others. D D Vernie from Overkill comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        Among others. D D Vernie from Overkill comes to mind.

Great example indeed. I love that bass tone too.

Comment

I like it when someone else plays bass, especially when they get it to pop out of the mix like Verni does.

But mine just sits in the corner untouched 99% of the time. It's not something I get a kick out of ..though I'm glad I have it. There's no substitute for real bass on a recording, but playing it is a bit of a chore
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I have an old crappy Peavey bass amp at home that sets off the smoke alarm because of the lows. The 700 watt Peavey next door sets off car alarms if I turn the master past 5.

With the pre gain on 3.

And when i thumb smack the low A...

Comment

Bass was my 1st instrument. Had some fun in bands. It's not fun for me to play now just solo but I keep 1 electric around. I like Demanix's rig tho.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                              X