No announcement yet.

Best resources to learn to jam on bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best resources to learn to jam on bass?

What's the best written bass resource that'll teach me a good balance of theory, feel, and technique?

Also what are the best areas to tackle as a beginner who is new to the instrument aside from learning a good bit of bass tabs (20-30)?

by "jam on bass" you mean to be able to be thrown into a situation and keep your head above water or you want to actually learn to be a bassist?

Comment

Ideally both. But I'd assume I'd need to learn to hold my own before I start being able to solo and higher level improv.

Comment

What style(s)?
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Probably funk, blues, and reggae; with the priority being in that order

Comment

Another similar question, where can I find some simple bass riffs that can apply to multiple different scenarios? For example, doing straight quarter root notes will work okay in just about any situation.

I'm looking for more spicy stuff obviously

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post
              Another similar question, where can I find some simple bass riffs that can apply to multiple different scenarios? For example, doing straight quarter root notes will work okay in just about any situation.

Listen to a bunch of old Motown stuff. The bass anchors the whole tune, but never gets boring.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                Listen to a bunch of old Motown stuff. The bass anchors the whole tune, but never gets boring.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
                Good idea, Carol Kaye even has a bunch of great videos on you tube.
                “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

I'd think YouTube is a great resource, from drum tracks to tutorials and run-throughs of specific tunes.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by '59 View Post

This is a good example of a spicy but simple bass line. All you have to do is use some faster rhythmic subdivisions to spice it up rhythmically for funk. It doesn't necessarily have to be a slap fest. Know how to play and sing (in your head) every rhythmic value up to at least 16th notes.

You can get by on bass by just moving boxes around based on the root of the chord. Know how to play the arpeggio and scale for each chord. You don't have to mess around that much with advanced harmony to start because it only ends up sounding muddy in the bass of the ensemble.

As you progress you learn to make lines that flow through the chords - the contour of the line both outlines the chords but isn't interrupted at each chord change. Lithium is a good simple example of that. Notice Kris makes an entire phrase while still outlining the chords sufficiently.

Sometimes you don't have time to do flashy stuff and just have to hit roots. Or you can mix the approaches where you hit roots and look for opportunities to contour the line. Obviously, modal sections free you up the most to be melodic like the bridge there.
                    Last edited by Clint 55; 07-04-2022, 04:25 AM.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
                    X