banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is unamplified slap bass supposed to sound like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is unamplified slap bass supposed to sound like?

Good evening folks,

I am learning slap bass, but since I currently don't have a working amp, I'm playing unplugged. This is also how I prefer to practice anyway, since going through the whole plug in process is a bit of a turn off.

But anyway, I'm hearing a lot of clicking on the high fret when I play accousticly, other than that it sounds right. Does that go away when I plug in, or do I have to change my technique or setup in order to minimize it?

What other things should I keep an ear out for?

That's normal; it's the strings hitting higher frets that give it the slap sound.
    Sounds quite different plugged in.
    Peaks will still be pretty extreme, though.
    Compression helps even things out a bit, especially if you're going direct or your amp has lots of headroom.
    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Unamplified slap bass sounds like crap.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, it is pretty clicky. Even amplified, it doesn't sound great unless you use a compressor to tame the peaks.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

It should still sound accurate unplugged tho. All the clicks and pops should be correct rhythmically and sonically for it to translate to amp'd.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Pops should sound pretty similar to when you play aggressive fingerstyle and the string slaps the fretboard. Slaps sound like this too but a little thinner and "sproinger", to make up a word.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
            http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

Spank the plank
              sigpic Wes
              Originally posted by Robert S.
              I love you too Charlie!
              Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

Working...
              X