First bass project - P style pickup recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bass project - P style pickup recommendations

Ok, so I got my first bass after lots of years of exclusively playing guitars.
    I am a tinkerer by spirit and I had a bargain deal on a used Cort SP-PB Special series, for $80. Maple/maple with an alder body.

Already got Schaller tuners, graphtech nut and a fender hi-mass bridge. New pots and jack ofc, and a set of flatwounds await.

Everything needs more work on it, but I've started working on the neck/frets, and started sanding down the body edges. I plan to keep the front and back in original red. Sanding uncovered lots of interesting layers, so I decided to go crazy with it and make some patterns and blobs and things. It still has a crepè ton of sanding and smoothing, and I don't even know do I like it or will I still after the unmasking (plus pickguard choice).

SO, pickups. Later on, I'm definitely open to routing a spot for a PJ set, or even go Billy Sheehan on it with an EB style neck pickup, blend and all, but, for now, any recommendations on a P style pickup? Preferably SD but literally open to anything.
    Looking for a vintagey warm dark tone, with little to no snap to it, if I'm making any sense.

Pics attached, first one as bought, the rest show current states.

TNX in advance for any tips, comments, even personal taste bashes.
    The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

No reason to mess around. The SD SPB-1 is excellent, unless you want to upgrade to Antiquities.

Comment

The Quarter Pound is really warm, but has more output than a vintage pickup. It does sound good with flats, though.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        No reason to mess around. The SD SPB-1 is excellent, unless you want to upgrade to Antiquities.
        Honestly, with the tone rolled all the way down, and volume on half, SPB-1 sounds amazing. I feel maybe flatwounds may take it to far, like an unremovable foam at bridge sound situation.
        The Antiquity sounds a lot like the SPB-4 to me, and it's not the sound, or more accurately, the response that I'm looking for.

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        The Quarter Pound is really warm, but has more output than a vintage pickup. It does sound good with flats, though.
        The QP feels a bit too hot for my taste, but I like the warmth definitely. Doing good with flats is also a plus.

I think the SPB-2 is just a smidge hotter and brighter than the SPB-1, but without adding much definition, which I'm after. So kinda exactly in between the Vintage and the QP. Also, love it tone rolled back.
        If it does flats well, I might be sold on it.

Comment

The SPB-2 also does flats well, so no problem there.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Cool project. Please share the final outcome. I might do this same type of thing with a cheap P-Bass. Though my pickup of choice will be either the QP or Steve Harris. Can get smooth and warm by rolling the tone control back.

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
              Cool project. Please share the final outcome. I might do this same type of thing with a cheap P-Bass. Though my pickup of choice will be either the QP or Steve Harris. Can get smooth and warm by rolling the tone control back.
              Tnx, will do! I have 3 or 4 projects in the "cmon you can finish this" phase. Broke a couple of metacarpals the other day, welp, so that's nice. Unfortunately, it seriously hinders my ability to work on these things, but give me a week or six, and we'll be happily chokeing on digital sawdust

Comment

The Duncan Vintage or if you want something for punk, Metal or hard rock, Quarter Pound.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Fender makes a couple affordable classic P bass pickups too. The original 1962 (not custom shop)

Really though if you're going for vintage P Bass sound there aren't many options. And if you stick with Duncan there are even fewer options. So it should be an easy decision.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  Anyone who *sings* at me through their teeth deserves to have a bus drive through their face
                  http://www.youtube.com/alexiansounds

Comment

i was building a p-bass and i wanted a good all around instrument, id go spb1. if i was going extra vintagey george porter jr, id go antiquity ii. if i was playing harder styles for the most part, the spb3 is fantastic. its pretty versatile to but is a bit more aggressive in tone and hotter in output than some styles may call for

Comment

Originally posted by alex1fly View Post
                      Fender makes a couple affordable classic P bass pickups too. The original 1962 (not custom shop)

Really though if you're going for vintage P Bass sound there aren't many options. And if you stick with Duncan there are even fewer options. So it should be an easy decision.
                      Tnx for the input, Fenders are definitely being considered. As I said in my original post, I'm open to other options besides SDs, it's just that it's SDs forum so I expect to get the most input on those here.

This is my only bass. I'm a guitar player first and foremost, and I listen amd play to different genres on guitar(s). As far as bass tone goes, I am definitely more a vintage P tone guy, and disregarding Fender there would be foolish to say the least.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                        i was building a p-bass and i wanted a good all around instrument, id go spb1. if i was going extra vintagey george porter jr, id go antiquity ii. if i was playing harder styles for the most part, the spb3 is fantastic. its pretty versatile to but is a bit more aggressive in tone and hotter in output than some styles may call for
                        Yeah spb3 is a bit too hot for what I'm looking for, so if pressed between those two, I'd definitely go with an spb1.
                        Is there anyone here that can tell me from experience spb1 vs spb2 vs antiq2? Where would you put them on the warm and round and fluffy to bright and defined and tight scale?
                        Also, is anyone using an spb2? And if so, what style of music do you play?

Comment

I haven’t A/B’d them in the same bass, but I have a QP in a short scale that I love to death and an Artec big pole P pickup I tried for a project that turned out really nice. Loud and pretty bright.

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post

Yeah spb3 is a bit too hot for what I'm looking for, so if pressed between those two, I'd definitely go with an spb1.
                            Is there anyone here that can tell me from experience spb1 vs spb2 vs antiq2? Where would you put them on the warm and round and fluffy to bright and defined and tight scale?
                            Also, is anyone using an spb2? And if so, what style of music do you play?
                            This is one of the best pickup comparison videos I’ve seen period.

If you are open for a suggestion outside of the above. The Aguilar AG-4P 60 is fantastic. My P came with one, I was expecting to replace it but it’s great for everything from blues up to classic heavy rock.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

the spb3 is hot with a big bottom and gritty top end thats wonderful. the spb2 is much more mid focused to my ears. so qp = smiley face, hot = frowny face. both have strong output

Comment

Working...
                              X