Fretless Bass Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blille View Post
    I use GHS groundwounds with my fretless, quite happy.
    +1

I used groundwounds (aka "halfrounds") with a maple neck/fingerboard fretless ibanez P bass and and really liked the smoother feel under my fingers. Plus the inner part around the core was still round and allows more brightness, which I prefer, and without digging grooves into the fingerboard.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stringwraps.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	6188786

Comment

Originally posted by threechordcharlie View Post

I used neon acrylic paint
      I bought a package of 1mm adhesive backed pinstripes. Manicurists use them on women's nails. I think I will use the silver colored ones and then epoxy the fretboard. It should look like frets.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        I bought a package of 1mm adhesive backed pinstripes. Manicurists use them on women's nails. I think I will use the silver colored ones and then epoxy the fretboard. It should look like frets.
        https://www.amazon.com/NICEMOVIC-Col...826783259&th=1
        Very smart.

And you can also look great with the extra ones

Comment

I have added the fret markers. The silver foil shines brighter than any frets I have seen. I need to epoxy seal and level the fretboard now.
          Attached Files

Comment

that looks great!

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              that looks great!
              Measuring the fret spacing was hard and not all of the fret markers are in the best place. However with a fretless bass you really don't have exact intonation so I'm not sure how much difference it will make?

Comment

ehh... if youre playing with others or along to recorded music, youll notice. or at least i would. but since you can move you finger to get the note in tune as long as its close, you should be fine

Comment

It looks great!

It’s to know where to start you’ll have to use your ears to move up or down a bit anyway.

Comment

I have put three coats of epoxy on the fretboard but the epoxy is thick and doesn't cover evenly when it dries. I haven't tried thinning it to see if it will cover more evenly. It is supposed to be self-leveling but it has a tendency to fish eye which I don't like at all. I applied the last two coats with a small brush to try and fill any dimples. It's thick enough that I have plenty to work with while sanding. However I'm not sure how much work it will be to level it out and then buff it to a shine? On the plus side the epoxy dries in 12 hours, is crystal clear, really easy to apply, and it has no odor at all.
                    Attached Files

Comment

What I know from a local luthier is that every layer of epoxy has to be leveled.

Comment

Originally posted by Beespleeer View Post
                        What I know from a local luthier is that every layer of epoxy has to be leveled.
                        I stripped the epoxy off because it wouldn't set up no matter how carefully I measured, mixed or let it dry. I went with CA glue instead.

Comment

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
                          I stripped the epoxy off because it wouldn't set up no matter how carefully I measured, mixed or let it dry. I went with CA glue instead.
                          Just brushed on?
                          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post

Just brushed on?
                            Yes, two part marine epoxy.

Comment

Working...
                            X