$30 P Bass copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
    All the photos I have seen have two magnets at the ends. Do some have another set of magnets in the center? The only string that doesn't sit exactly over a pole piece is the G string for me.
    2 mags, either side, 4 total. As far as polepiece alignment, that didn’t matter. What matters is that muddies have such short coils and magnets that there isn’t as much current generated at either end. Historically, they’re weak on the E, the G, or both (I meant G, not D, in my other post but it won’t let me change it). Steel side plates and the center bar solve that by widening the field out further past those strings. If you haven’t noticed yet, you will.

I am interested in this de-mud mod. Where did you find this?
    Last edited by formula73; 08-22-2022, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by formula73 View Post

2 mags, either side, 4 total. As far as polepiece alignment, that didn’t matter. What matters is that muddies have such short coils and magnets that there isn’t as much current generated at either end. Historically, they’re weak on the E, the G, or both (I meant G, not D, in my other post but it won’t let me change it). Steel side plates and the center bar solve that by widening the field out further past those strings. If you haven’t noticed yet, you will.

I am interested in this de-mud mod. Where did you find this?
      Here's the post with Arties mod https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ld#post6017579 . He uses a .01 capacitor with a 500K resistor between the two coil wires. I used a .0047 capacitor which is about half a .01 with no resistor. It was just enough to trim a little mud without turning it into a p-bass pickup. I have a spare set of Entwistle XS62N strat pickups and they have two small Neodymium bar magnets like a P90. I could use two of the magnets in the center around the keeper. Neos would make it louder and more resonant.

Comment

Here's the post with Arties mod https://forum.seymourduncan.com/foru...ld#post6017579 . He uses a .01 capacitor with a 500K resistor between the two coil wires. I used a .0047 capacitor which is about half a .01 with no resistor. It was just enough to trim a little mud without turning it into a p-bass pickup. I have a spare set of Entwistle XS62N strat pickups and they have two small Neodymium bar magnets like a P90. I could use two of the magnets in the center around the keeper. Neos would make it louder and more resonant.
        Worth a try if you don’t like mudbuckers but…just…installed one?
        Last edited by formula73; 08-23-2022, 05:26 PM.

Comment

The ongoing evolution. Adding two small helper ceramic magnets on either side of the poles on the mudbucker improved string balance. I added a SD Rickenbacker neck I had lying around unused. I also have a 15k mini on order that I'm going to put in the bridge position. I will need to revisit the wiring to figure out a way to reduce interaction between the volumes. It's kind of strange how the Rickenbacker neck is still brighter than the mudbucker despite its location. However mixing the two gives a wide array of tones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	pics.jpg Views:	0 Size:	36.3 KB ID:	6195006
          Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-06-2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

I routed the bridge for a Firebird minihumbucker today. I modified the mini by adding a ceramic magnet in between the two vertical magnets which form the blades to increase its string coverage and power. It sounds really good in the bridge position. I need to buy a mounting ring for it and I would like to drill for a side jack and turn the hole for the jack into a tone control. I may also buy an adjustable bridge so I can get the D and G to align better with the poles of the mudbucker. Click image for larger version

Name:	pics.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	6196322

Comment

that looks badass. once you get rid of the tape of course. i dont know if id bother with the adjustable bridge since those things usually have plenty of magnetism coverage

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3696F337-B494-4C6C-A82C-14A3E1538049.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	6196365

1/4” steel bar the full width of the inside of the cover eliminates the need for string alignment. The side plates further open up the magnetic window but be sure to cut slots in the center to allow full contact with the magnets.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3696F337-B494-4C6C-A82C-14A3E1538049.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	6196365

1/4” steel bar the full width of the inside of the cover eliminates the need for string alignment. The side plates further open up the magnetic window but be sure to cut slots in the center to allow full contact with the magnets.
                  I took your advice but I did things a bit differently. I added two thin helper magnets in the middle on either side of the retainer bar. Instead of replacing the poles with a steel rod I cut up a retainer bar and stacked it only under the E and G strings to increase the ferrous mass under those strings. Now there's no dropout on the outer strings and all are the same volume.

Comment

I took your advice but I did things a bit differently. I added two thin helper magnets in the middle on either side of the retainer bar. Instead of replacing the poles with a steel rod I cut up a retainer bar and stacked it only under the E and G strings to increase the ferrous mass under those strings. Now there's no dropout on the outer strings and all are the same volume.
                    Brilliant. I’d love to see pics of that! I’m never really done tinkering with stuff.

Comment

Brilliant. I’d love to see pics of that! I’m never really done tinkering with stuff.
                      The pictures didn't come out good. Here's what it looks like from a diagram perspective. The two helper magnets are aligned magnetically with the outside magnets but surround the poles like a P90.

I think the weaknesses of the Mudbucker design are that the stock magnets on the outside of the coils is the wrong place in relation to the poles. Also if there aren't magnets in the center close to the poles the magnetic coverage is poor. Lastly the magnetic field is strong in the middle but on the outer strings are weak so adding mass under E and G helps.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	mudbucker-mods.png Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	6196419
                      Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-14-2022, 10:34 AM.

Comment

The pictures didn't come out good. Here's what it looks like from a diagram perspective. The two helper magnets are aligned magnetically with the outside magnets but surround the poles like a P90.

I think the weaknesses of the Mudbucker design are that the stock magnets on the outside of the coils is the wrong place in relation to the poles. Also if there aren't magnets in the center close to the poles the magnetic coverage is poor. Lastly the magnetic field is strong in the middle but on the outer strings are weak so adding mass under E and G helps.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	mudbucker-mods.png Views:	0 Size:	98.0 KB ID:	6196419
                        Nice. I was also trying to compensate for the perceived low output due to (basically) the lack of adjustability. A lot of these aftermarket muddies have only the top mags and some are alnico so I decided to spread the field my way and put 4 ceramics on both. They’re loud as hell, now.

Comment

Nice. I was also trying to compensate for the perceived low output due to (basically) the lack of adjustability. A lot of these aftermarket muddies have only the top mags and some are alnico so I decided to spread the field my way and put 4 ceramics on both. They’re loud as hell, now.
                          The Artec I have is ceramic. I would think Neodymium would have better volume and clarity but with the string balance problem resolved I think I will leave it alone.

Comment

The Artec I have is ceramic. I would think Neodymium would have better volume and clarity but with the string balance problem resolved I think I will leave it alone.
                            I think the clarity issues are more related to the ENORMOUS magnetic window the strings pass through. I’m curious what it would sound like with just 2 center magnets on the inside of the coils, on top/bottom of the flat plate that runs though the center.

Comment

I think the clarity issues are more related to the ENORMOUS magnetic window the strings pass through. I’m curious what it would sound like with just 2 center magnets on the inside of the coils, on top/bottom of the flat plate that runs though the center.
                              That is true the sensing window is so wide that it reads a large span of the string. If it just had magnets in the center the window would be narrower. I suspect the difference would be akin to a full size humbucker and a single coil sized mini humbucker.
                              Last edited by idsnowdog; 09-15-2022, 07:30 AM.

Comment

That is true the sensing window is so wide that it reads a large span of the string. If it just had magnets in the center the window would be narrower. I suspect it would be akin to a full size humbucker and a single coil sized mini humbucker.
                                I REALLY want to try this.

Comment

Working...
                                X