NBD: New Bass Day - Incoming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBD: New Bass Day - Incoming

I've been wanting a Precision Bass for a while. Looked at all sorts of options, checked out video reviews, played some, but needed to stick within a certain price point. Enter the Squier Classic Vibe 60s Precision. I was almost going to get the 70s Precision but a YT video comparison convinced me the 60s is the one I want. Ordered it in the sunburst color. Out of the 4 shown on Sweetwater's site at the time, it was the darkest and best looking one of the 4, and also the heaviest at 8lbs 6oz. The others were a few ounces lighter. This is roughly the same weight as my SUB Ray4. I have a set of Rotosound 66 strings here ready for it. Delivery is expected tomorrow. This is a stock pic from SW.
    Last edited by ErikH; 08-16-2022, 09:21 AM.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_107038.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	6190861

Comment

I bet that's gonna rock!
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nice grab. I have thought about picking up an inexpensive bass as of lately and those have caught my eye a bit.
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

The gig bag, a Gator 4G series, will arrive today and the bass will arrive tomorrow. Of course that’s how it’s gonna happen. Lol.

Comment

A fine bass.

Comment

looks great!

Comment

Squier has really come up in the world. I have a white CV60s and it’s great.

Comment

That'll do pretty much most of what you need a bass for right there.

I got a plain finish with the fancy pickup scheme

Last edited by Aceman; 08-17-2022, 07:49 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The bass arrived today. Gotta love when the tracking goes from at the destination warehouse to delivered. Not even an, "on vehicle for delivery", status. I'm just glad it's here.

First impressions? How do they get away with making a bass as solid as this? I mean, it's solid. It feels great, sounds great, looks better in person and maybe a little darker burst than the Sweetwater pics. The only thing externally I noticed was a little bit of residue by the first fret from it being put in. Came off with my nail no problem. In one video I saw there was mention of the bass side of the bridge not sitting flush with the body at the front of it. Mine sits totally flush all around. The D string nut slot needed to be lowered a little bit but it wasn't bad out of the box. I touched the other three while I was at it to fine tune them all. Truss rod had ample relief in it but I took a little bit out and lowered the action a tad and then adjusted the pickup slants. Last thing to do is change the strings to Rotosound Swing Bass 66 45-105, change out the output jack, and double-check the setup. Several videos I watched and a few posts on Talkbass forums mentioned the jack is the weak point in the electronics. It doesn't hold the plug very well. I have a few Switchcraft jacks here. Easy fix. The pots are Alpha brand from what I've been able to find out without opening it and they feel fine. The tuners feel solid and do the job. Nothing fancy there.

Again, good bones here. Out of the box it's a solid instrument and a great value. I had hopes it would meet all that since my CV 60s Strat is solid and I'm glad it meets those expectations. I wanted a Precision bass and well, I certainly have one.
                    Last edited by ErikH; 08-19-2022, 09:52 AM.

Comment

sweet! you dont need to spend a ton of money to get a great instrument these days

Comment

Working...
                      X