Contemplating a bass purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contemplating a bass purchase

Had the urge here lately to buy a bass, Ive never owned one but did take some lessons years ago while I was taking guitar lessons. Couple things I have been contemplating about, A) the MX5 has some bass presets in it, how would they sound running through the power section of my Jubilee and B) If I buy one, thats a big if, Im leaning toward either a Squier Classic Vibe P bass or a Sterling Sub 4 or 5. Kinda leaning towards the Sterling vs the P bass, based on what reviews Ive watched.

My local store is both a Fender and EBMM dealer, so I should be able to get either from there but they are a smaller store, so I would probably go to Sam Ash or Guitar Center to just lay hands on either one. Its been years since I took bass lessons but still recall a lil bit.

Give me some thoughts, concerns, ideas on all the above.
    1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
    Jackson Soloist 7 string
    ESP LTD M-400
    Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

get a bass! play a few and see what ya like, then do it. you can run a bass through a guitar amp without issue, though it may not be tonally what ya want. you need to be careful about pumping low frequencies through guitar speakers. at low volume its not usually an issue but dont wanna blow up a greenback by running bass through a loud amp. i use a dual showman reverb (twin reverb head basically) as a bass amp but i run it through a bass cab, not guitar cab.

Comment

Coincidentally, I have both those basses mentioned. You can't go wrong with either one, IMO. A good setup goes a long way, which I have done with both. Try a bunch of different ones before deciding. I did that before getting the Ray4 but I kept coming back to it. Careful running any bass amps through a guitar speaker. It could damage them if you push them too hard.
      Last edited by ErikH; 08-23-2022, 07:38 PM.

Comment

Both the Sterling and the Squier are good basses, and would work for any bass gig or recording. I think every guitarist should own a bass at some point.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I got an Ibanez this year and think I mihht liked a Sterling better. Either way I happy. When I first got it I rekky wantéd nothunf to do qirh it but Im playing it mung it nore now.

Comment

Originally posted by solspirit View Post
            When I first got it I rekky wantéd nothunf to do qirh it but Im playing it mung it nore now.
            ummm... you ok?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

ummm... you ok?
              Holy Christ, I just read that post and I don't know what the f*** I was doing.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post

ummm... you ok?
                Hahaha. It might sound like I'm really ****faced but I'm about to get off work

Comment

. . .

Comment

You type on a phone like I do but bc of that I was able to translate it to normal English lol
                    Jackson Soloist 7 string
                    ESP LTD M-400

Comment

i knew what he meant too but that was too good note to quote

Comment

I have a CV60s that kicks ass. That said, I still prefer my Epi Tbird Classic Pro. They’re reasonably priced, used, and are throughnecks with Gibson TB Plus humbuckers. The neck pickup alone approximates a P and both on full sounds like a fatter Jazz.

Comment

Are there any Pawn shops in your area? You can usually find a solid bass at a lower price than a guitar. I paid less than $200 for a neck through Ibanez 4 string with actives.

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

I heard repeated complaints that some Sterlings have bad fretwork compared to the competitors in the same price range (LTD, Ibanez).

What music style do you want to play?

Comment

Everything from good ole 80s hairband to AIC, Metallica and whatever really sparks my interest.

Closest pawn shops are maybe 15 mins down the road, maybe if I get a lil downtime I hit up a couple.

I have a just an $800 LTD with some fret issues, nothing a bit of time on my repair guy's bench wouldnt cure
                              Jackson Soloist 7 string
                              ESP LTD M-400

Comment

Working...
                              X