STC-3M4 bass preamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STC-3M4 bass preamp

I recently installed an STC-3M4 preamp in an NS Design WAV4 bass I've rebuilt. The bass has an aftermarket Lace Alumitone pickup as its only pickup. I run into a Korg floor tuner, then from there into a floor pedal preamp, then directly into a sound system. When I plug this bass into the tuner, I can tune with the volume turned all the way down. Volume up or down, it makes no difference to the tuner. However, when I kick the tuner off, the bass acts normally. No signal at all with the volume all the way down, signal when I turn it up. I ran it directly into the floor pedal preamp and it acted normally. I tried two other basses through the tuner--one active with an STC-2C-BO active EQ, the other passive--and neither of them would register a signal to the tuner when turned all the way down. This is the only bass I have with the STC-3M4 preamp in it. Is this some kind of weird behavior that is peculiar to that preamp? I triple checked my wiring, and it is all correct. I guess it's not critical since it works fine when I'm playing it, but it's just plain weird. Can anybody explain this?

Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that's weird! Even cranking the amp up when the volume is completely down results in no signal? Maybe this can be a good thing...to allow you to tune when the volume is down. Anyone got any ideas on this?
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

Wow, that's weird! Even cranking the amp up when the volume is completely down results in no signal? Maybe this can be a good thing...to allow you to tune when the volume is down. Anyone got any ideas on this?
      Like a feature. Because nobody likes the sounds of tuning, especially blasted to 11.
      The biggest difference between Chet Atkins and Dimebag? Probably the beard...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        Welcome to the forum!

No. Only the tuner seems to get enough signal to register anything. Since the bass works fine (and sounds great), I'm not too concerned about it, but it's like, "Hey, when is the other shoe gonna drop?"

Comment

Originally posted by DCikes88 View Post

Like a feature. Because nobody likes the sounds of tuning, especially blasted to 11.
          Yeah, that's nobody's idea of impressive. BUT, the tuner, when I kick it in, mutes the sound, so no problem there. The bass sounds great and works fine other than that, so though I'm confused by its behavior, it's not a huge emergency or something that prevents me from enjoying the bass. And the STC-3M4 sounds fine in this bass. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
          X